Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 25th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Isamu Strategy Article

Can't we all just get along? It's Christmas Day. Ho ho ho.

~TAF, off to make merry or whatever

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 25th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Owlman, this game is NOT dead and just because there is less traffic than your favorite boards or whatever, does not mean these boards should be taken any less seriously. Learn to post respectfully, or Vanish 9 outta here.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Learn to multiquote. It's not hard. Quote this message and you will be able to see how I did it and copy it. (I give you permission to copy. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Of course anyone can write any strategy article they please, and frankly not every USR article is all that great. However, in this case Owlman rather blatantly copied the format of a bunch of guides that all say, essentially, please ask permission before using this format. If he just wrote an Isamu strategy guide without copying the format, nobody would have batted an eye.
Only thing I really copied was the Class ratings, and Offense/Defense, and Units to avoid.
That's basically the entire format, except for the stats up top with an assessment of their strength... oh, right you copied that too. And a listing of the powers with an assessment of their usefulness... which you also copied.

The only thing you didn't copy was the logo and the request to not use the format without permission. (Which, at least, would have been funny.)

Really, there are plenty of ways to write a strategy guide that don't involve assigning a chess piece analogy. If I were writing a non-USR strategy guide, it probably would not resemble the USRs very much. You could have tried it.

Quote:
And I also gave two shout outs to them in later posts. Really don't see the big deal here.
I'd say the "big deal", insofar as there is one, is that you continue to deny the very, very self-evident fact that you copied something that was specifically requested to not be copied.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
It is very, very rarely worth an OM to put Isamu in position for mid-game assassination, though. I've tried to move Isamu up to kill Raelin in midgame exactly once, ever... and it didn't work.
Interesting, because in my experience, I've had TONS of success with him mid-to late game.
The issue is efficiency. Whatever the bread and butter of your army is will be capable of attacking multiple times per Order Marker. Isamu attacks once. It's very hard to overcome that efficiency deficit. This is why Isamu is rarely used before late game, after your bread and butter attackers have been depleted.

Quote:
Eh, Marcu can pull his weight, but he can betray you as well, whereas Isamu does not
We were talking about Ornak synergy here. RFoF prevents Eternal Hatred from triggering.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Isamu seems totally d20 dependant, he could technically kill 20 knights, or he could die before getting a single kill. I don't feel like I have too much control over how well he does.
Yep. This is not to say there's no strategy with Isamu, but the ratio of luck to skill that goes into success with Isamu is about the highest in the game. Which is why Isamu is one of my least favorite figures.
I define skill in this game by mainly placement of figures, and perhaps choosing your teams. But then again, I go with themed teams, I don't like mixing and matching. There's far more providential dice rolling in this game than skill, IMO. How would you define skill in Scape? If you would say good dice rolling, I'd disagree.
When you say "placement of figures", you mean throughout the game? Well, there's that, and Order Marker Management, and target selection. And yes, army construction, or at least understanding the army you're playing.

Dice rolls are the deciding factor in Heroscape much less often than most people tend to think - or at least, than most people who just lost a game tend to say. I can't tell you how many times I've watched someone lose a game where they made mistakes that could have raised their chances, and then they blame a critical dice roll. Which is not to say that no game can be decided by dice, but there's many, many opportunities to tilt the odds. Good players will look to find and correct their errors instead of blaming dice and then repeating those same errors in their next game.

But don't take my word for it - play some online events where you can see your dice stats afterwards. Highest percentage often doesn't win.

(Our next sign-up will be going live soon.)
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:36 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Obvious troll is obvious.

Let this thread die and let us stop feeding his ego.
*Sigh* Just wow...

If you're talking about the Kowalski guy over there, then you'd be correct.

I'm still waiting to hear what you think of my article, btw, now that I edit'd it some more.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Learn to multiquote. It's not hard. Quote this message and you will be able to see how I did it and copy it. (I give you permission to copy. )

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Of course anyone can write any strategy article they please, and frankly not every USR article is all that great. However, in this case Owlman rather blatantly copied the format of a bunch of guides that all say, essentially, please ask permission before using this format. If he just wrote an Isamu strategy guide without copying the format, nobody would have batted an eye.
Only thing I really copied was the Class ratings, and Offense/Defense, and Units to avoid.
That's basically the entire format, except for the stats up top with an assessment of their strength... oh, right you copied that too. And a listing of the powers with an assessment of their usefulness... which you also copied.

The only thing you didn't copy was the logo and the request to not use the format without permission. (Which, at least, would have been funny.)

Really, there are plenty of ways to write a strategy guide that don't involve assigning a chess piece analogy. If I were writing a non-USR strategy guide, it probably would not resemble the USRs very much. You could have tried it.

Quote:
And I also gave two shout outs to them in later posts. Really don't see the big deal here.
I'd say the "big deal", insofar as there is one, is that you continue to deny the very, very self-evident fact that you copied something that was specifically requested to not be copied.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
It is very, very rarely worth an OM to put Isamu in position for mid-game assassination, though. I've tried to move Isamu up to kill Raelin in midgame exactly once, ever... and it didn't work.
Interesting, because in my experience, I've had TONS of success with him mid-to late game.
The issue is efficiency. Whatever the bread and butter of your army is will be capable of attacking multiple times per Order Marker. Isamu attacks once. It's very hard to overcome that efficiency deficit. This is why Isamu is rarely used before late game, after your bread and butter attackers have been depleted.

Quote:
Eh, Marcu can pull his weight, but he can betray you as well, whereas Isamu does not
We were talking about Ornak synergy here. RFoF prevents Eternal Hatred from triggering.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Isamu seems totally d20 dependant, he could technically kill 20 knights, or he could die before getting a single kill. I don't feel like I have too much control over how well he does.
Yep. This is not to say there's no strategy with Isamu, but the ratio of luck to skill that goes into success with Isamu is about the highest in the game. Which is why Isamu is one of my least favorite figures.
I define skill in this game by mainly placement of figures, and perhaps choosing your teams. But then again, I go with themed teams, I don't like mixing and matching. There's far more providential dice rolling in this game than skill, IMO. How would you define skill in Scape? If you would say good dice rolling, I'd disagree.
When you say "placement of figures", you mean throughout the game? Well, there's that, and Order Marker Management, and target selection. And yes, army construction, or at least understanding the army you're playing.

Dice rolls are the deciding factor in Heroscape much less often than most people tend to think - or at least, than most people who just lost a game tend to say. I can't tell you how many times I've watched someone lose a game where they made mistakes that could have raised their chances, and then they blame a critical dice roll. Which is not to say that no game can be decided by dice, but there's many, many opportunities to tilt the odds. Good players will look to find and correct their errors instead of blaming dice and then repeating those same errors in their next game.

But don't take my word for it - play some online events where you can see your dice stats afterwards. Highest percentage often doesn't win.

(Our next sign-up will be going live soon.)
Eh, I find it hard for the dice to NOT be a determining factor in the game. Dice win battles. Even if you postion your units perfectly, if you can't roll higher than 1 skull, you will most likely lose, you know? For example, this one game I had an entire squad of Ash Harq. on height. Perfectly set to rain down holy hec on my sisters units. Her Mimring was pretty close, so I targeted him, expecting to annihilate him with one group shot. (I've done it multiple times before.)

every single one of my attacks missed. All of them. I didn't roll a SINGLE skull. Then next turn, her dragon flew over and started munching on them one at a time. (I placed them so that she couldn't line them up for Fire Line attack.)

So besides some of the auto-kill figures, where placement ultimately decides, (like Braxas, Grimnak, yadda yadda.) I personally feel like the dice truly decide your fate. Some days I position horribly, but still win, because I rolled lotsa skulls. Other days I lose, because I had excellent positioning, but rolled horribly.

PSST: @ Kowalski and Megasilver: Dok and I are having an intelligent conversation. Feel free to join in.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Can't we all just get along? It's Christmas Day. Ho ho ho.

~TAF, off to make merry or whatever
Amen haha!

Merry Christmas!!

Old December 26th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Owlman, this game is NOT dead and just because there is less traffic than your favorite boards or whatever, does not mean these boards should be taken any less seriously. Learn to post respectfully, or Vanish 9 outta here.
Notice I said the "game" is dead, I.E. the game is not officially printed anymore. Sad, but true.

I never said the community is dead, however, it is small. Ergo, the more posts/threads the merrier, to keep the community alive. Hows about commenting on the actual topic? What did you think? Was it good? Bad?

Old December 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I welcome the input of all who participate on this board. It's better for the involvement of each person upon it, including those who have not tested their skills in the crucible of the competitive environment.

As with your list of "efficient" squads, Owlman, the OP of this thread makes it clear that you are such a person. @dok invited you to participate in the online 'Scape scene. If you are as interested in maximizing your skill, as you appear to be, I encourage you to accept that invitation and get yourself involved in some games.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I welcome the input of all who participate on this board. It's better for the involvement of each person upon it, including those who have not tested their skills in the crucible of the competitive environment.

As with your list of "efficient" squads, Owlman, the OP of this thread makes it clear that you are such a person. @dok invited you to participate in the online 'Scape scene. If you are as interested in maximizing your skill, as you appear to be, I encourage you to accept that invitation and get yourself involved in some games.
I just might do that, this weekend.

Although I'm more interested in "maximizing fun" than skills.

Old December 27th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Well, have fun lecturing everybody on how to have fun better, I guess. Though that's not what you wrote in the OP. You asked what I thought of your advice. My answer is that you appear to be a noob. Which is great! Noobs are welcome here.

Carry on.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

I think we need to bring in @Cavalier

Last edited by Ninja Status; December 27th, 2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: :p
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Well, have fun lecturing everybody on how to have fun better, I guess. Though that's not what you wrote in the OP. You asked what I thought of your advice. My answer is that you appear to be a noob. Which is great! Noobs are welcome here.

Carry on.
Again, I'm not a n00b. Been playing this game for years. There are just certain figures I play often, because I have more fun that way. I.e. I personally wouldn't really enjoy using Q9, and a ton of Rats. I have more fun using ninja/samurai armies, zombie/vampire armies, etc...I'm not trying to dictate how others have their fun, believe me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles