Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 30th, 2016, 12:56 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Started Silver Linings Playbook with my wife a week or so ago, but then the kid woke up and we didn't feel it was appropriate for him. We were an hour in and still haven't had a chance to finish it, but it was looking promising.
Kids do tend to change what, when, and how you watch TV. Though some of it is for the better. I find that I am far more entertained watching a movie with my son than I was before he came along. I don't tend to judge movies as critically as much and simply have a toggle...enjoy/don't enjoy. It has actually made the process of watching more enjoyable. You are forced to at first because Kids TV/Movies for the younger ages aren't great so you can either walk away or suffer through it to be with your kids. I chose to suffer through and learned to enjoy it by proxy. When he smiles or laughs I feel the joy of knowing that I supplied that opportunity and chose to be there when it happened.

I hope you get as much enjoyment in re-watching movies with yours as I have. I usually don't re-watch a lot of movies as I like something new but he gives me a reason to re-watch.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:53 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think what you're describing will eventually happen to me. Right now I'm pretty critical of what I watch (even when I enjoy it). I think a lot of kids' shows that target the toddler range are much better than the kids' shows that targeted toddlers in days past. I'll take Octonauts (or even Daniel Tiger) over Barney any day of the week.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:13 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I think what you're describing will eventually happen to me. Right now I'm pretty critical of what I watch (even when I enjoy it). I think a lot of kids' shows that target the toddler range are much better than the kids' shows that targeted toddlers in days past. I'll take Octonauts (or even Daniel Tiger) over Barney any day of the week.
Oh yeah..Octonauts was fun. My son loved it. Fortunately he liked Barney for less than a month before he got over that. Phineas and Ferb is another family favorite even today. Many levels of humor the whole family enjoys.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:50 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

japes, have you ever watched Ronin Warriors?

Very cool team of young samurai with super powered suits of armor. One of the main side characters is a young boy.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:45 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
japes, have you ever watched Ronin Warriors?

Very cool team of young samurai with super powered suits of armor. One of the main side characters is a young boy.
Never heard of it. Just watched the trailer...why is it always 5 warriors...Voltron, Power Rangers...may have to check it out.

Old September 1st, 2016, 01:55 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
...why is it always 5 warriors...Voltron, Power Rangers...
It's actually a big enough phenomenon to have a trope page on the tv tropes website (though that place will try to distort anything with even the faintest resemblance to one of their tropes until it fits their designs, so it's probably not as common as that place would have you believe).

Personally, I've always assumed that Japan's particular predilection for teams of 5 owes at least a little to their word for 'five' being pronounced/translated as 'go' like in 'go team!'. There seems to be plenty of love for puns and wordplay there, plus an interest in English as a 'decorative language' of sorts; wouldn't surprise me if having 5 peeps on a team just makes things seem more 'actiony' to your average Japanese viewer.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:12 AM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
...why is it always 5 warriors...Voltron, Power Rangers...
It's actually a big enough phenomenon to have a trope page on the tv tropes website (though that place will try to distort anything with even the faintest resemblance to one of their tropes until it fits their designs, so it's probably not as common as that place would have you believe).

Personally, I've always assumed that Japan's particular predilection for teams of 5 owes at least a little to their word for 'five' being pronounced/translated as 'go' like in 'go team!'. There seems to be plenty of love for puns and wordplay there, plus an interest in English as a 'decorative language' of sorts; wouldn't surprise me if having 5 peeps on a team just makes things seem more 'actiony' to your average Japanese viewer.
Thanks SG. Very informative. Did not even think about that.

Old September 1st, 2016, 12:51 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Well Voltron had one driver for each limb plus the head, so 5 was the number. I suppose they could have had the head and body two separate ones for a 6 person team. We have 5 fingers on each hand though and thus learn to count by numbers of 5 from an early age, so across all cultures the number 5 tends to pop up as significant or familiar. It also leads to the idea of 5 fingers forming a fist with which to strike out, which translates into 5 people forming a special ops strike team becoming a literary phenomenon.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:53 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool.

So the new Pokemon is Pokemon 5.

Check out Ronin Warriors.

My favorite characters are the Ryu's tiger named White Blaze(do not mess with White Blaze) and one of the bad guys named Anubis.

It starts off strong and slows a bit as it goes into the individual characters including the bad guys. Samurai and super powered armor with a nice mix of mysticism.

Lots of lessons on friendship, teamwork, not giving up ect.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:01 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Well Voltron had one driver for each limb plus the head, so 5 was the number. I suppose they could have had the head and body two separate ones for a 6 person team. We have 5 fingers on each hand though and thus learn to count by numbers of 5 from an early age, so across all cultures the number 5 tends to pop up as significant or familiar. It also leads to the idea of 5 fingers forming a fist with which to strike out, which translates into 5 people forming a special ops strike team becoming a literary phenomenon.
Which make me wonder why we don't have a base 6 standard system. Then we could count to 35 on our fingers (technically 55 in base 6). One hand for the ones and the second hand for the "10's"

Old September 10th, 2016, 07:23 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Adam Nimoy's documentary For The Love of Spock (On Demand) was touching and informative. I smiled a lot. Thanks, Adam.
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Split Second 1992

Great Rutger Hauer flick set in 2008 when the the icecaps have melted from global warming. A bit buddy cop, a bit Alien, a bit Blade Runner atmosphere(no robots) in a cult-y style. Also stars Kim Cattrall and a cameo by Michael J. Pollard.
"We need bigger guns."

- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies