Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 11th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Robber's maps- Orbit 7/8

I like the overall look of Orbit, especially the water mixed with Dungeon in the start zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
Probably tomorrow... my mom is dragging me to the pool. I hate that place
Oh, come on... suck it up. It's summer, we're supposed to go to the pool.
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
I like the overall look of Orbit, especially the water mixed with Dungeon in the start zones.
Quote:
Probably tomorrow... my mom is dragging me to the pool. I hate that place
Oh, come on... suck it up. It's summer, we're supposed to go to the pool.
I picked up the shape and contents of the starting zone from Gamebear. He's a friggin' genious.
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:08 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Heya Robber, let me join Dad_Scaper in saying I really like the look of Orbit. Fantastic design, something I wish I could emulate. The positions of shadow, lava, molent lava, and rock outcrops relative to each other look great — should produce some very fun interactions!

I only wonder about the rock outcrop at the very edge, in the middle of the 7-hex lava field. It doesn't do much there to block LoS, and while it helps to channel traffic, I imagine you could get much the same channeling effect if it were moved just slightly. Perhaps transfer it two spaces towards the middle, to sit where the water tile does now, right beside the 3-hex outcrop? It would do more to block LoS there. Just my two cents, and it's pretty minor.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Orbit definitely looks really cool. Kinda spacey. Good job Robber on yet another impressive map.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Why Gerda? Also, the figure holding the glyph has height advantage against four of the six adjacent hexes. That seems really strong to me.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Doh, just realized that there's a double-hex of lava on level 4 perched atop the seven-hex lava. Now I see what the rock outcrop is doing there. Hmm.
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Why Gerda? Also, the figure holding the glyph has height advantage against four of the six adjacent hexes. That seems really strong to me.
Yeah, Gerda plus height advantage does seem like a potent combo.

Although the fact that the glyph is sitting atop lava makes holding it a fraught proposition. I like the logic. Take the Gerda and you're likely to hold it while your opponent flails uselessly at you from the Shadow below. But at end of round, there's a 50% chance you'll pay for it and vaporize, leaving your opponent primed to grab it if he gets initiative.

Might still be a bit too potent though? Dunno. Yeah, maybe.

Wannok might be a good option for that space. I love putting Wannok on lava.
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was actually thinking about moving the LoS blocker 1 space forward anyway, Typhon. My only concern was that without it connected to the 2-hexes, it would topple over if anyone bumped the table.

Mad_Wookie: You mean like Gamebear's Badru Valley?

I will definitely switch the glyph after gameplay, but I like the height where it is. It's on lava, so there's a lot of movement on and off of it. It changes sides enough, and in playtesting figures never needed the 4 water Shadow spaces by the glyph.

Do you think I can change the glyph to Dagmar, or would that be too evil?

Edit: Ninja! But we had the "lava-end-of-round-glyph" joke in both posts. Great minds think alike!
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Mad_Wookie: You mean like Gamebear's Badru Valley?
Well, Badru Valley uses Astrid, so it's not really the same thing. The figure holding the glyph defends at +2 from four of the six adjacent hexes - that's my point. That's a brutal setup for melee to contest. If Raelin is in the mix, it's worse - I could see defense 7 rats with height sitting there. I'd take those odds.

I also would note that double spaced figures can't hold the glyph either. I like the glyph on the lava space, and yeah, I think it's a good idea to make it something strong to encourage risk taking - but I'd raise the four shadow hexes next to it, to help melee contest it and to give double spaced figures a shot at holding it.

I'm liking Typhon's Wannok suggestion though. That's devious. I don't think Dagmar would be strong enough to encourage someone to risk a dude, but it is the kind of decision that I love to see on a map.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Promising Cartographer

That does present a good point... I'll figure it out. Thanks!
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Promising Cartographer

OK! Last playtesting game has been played, so...

Orbit

Took all of your suggestions (Except for Typhon's- the LoS blocker seemed to work better where it was. Sorry. I leveled out the glyph and changed it, and presented lava field tiles as lv. 3 height closer to the starting zone. LoS blockers weren't too effected after my final playtest. Only 2 moved.

Hope you like it!
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM

Looks good Robber. I've just spent some time toggling back and forth between the older and newest version, and this one is even better! The map has fewer choke points now; and I like the single- and double-hexes of lava at level 3 near the SZs.

I'm sorry the glyph won't be a Wannok, sitting on lava. But I like where that tile has gone, between the seven-hex lava and three-hex outcrop.

On a different note.... I see you're still using Photobucket for the pic? You can upload it to the site here if you want. Easiest way is to go to your download page for Orbit, and click Add Image under the "Upload an Image" section. You add multiple JPEG pics of the map there, actually, which is great — keeps 'em all grouped together with the accompanying PDF for the build instructions.

Also, in VScape, you can click on "Map Parameters" to enter map name and author name (which will appear on page 1 of the PDF), and any comments you want (such as sets required, glyphs stipulated, description of the map, etc.) which will appear on page 3.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios