Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Closed Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: What Exactly is "Balanced"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Is whats fun for you the same as whats fun for me?
I hereby disqualiafy you from the discussion if you're going to ask questions like that.
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Is whats fun for you the same as whats fun for me?
I hereby disqualiafy you from the discussion if you're going to ask questions like that.

It's good to know you smell a derailed dead end discussion coming from a mile away Ollie.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff View Post
Look. If a person wants to sit in his armchair at home, never or rarely playing Legacy prices, and say that they are wrong, he has to be able to back that up.
I see we are back a willful misunderstanding.

There is nothing wrong with Legacy as far as it goes.

If I repeat it enough will you understand that I believe that much? Did you miss my post in typhon2222's own thread, where I said it looked like an interesting event with a broad variety of armies? Do you think the Legacy tournament was a demonstration that current Legacy pricing is sound?

I'm the one in an armchair?

Show me *your* list of tournaments run, *your* list of people brought to tournaments, *your* contributions to the current era of Fanscape, and then we can discuss who is talking from his armchair.

Legacy seems like a fine way to run an occasional event. No matter how many times I say it, some people will apparently refuse to understand me.

For me the number one priority is number of people coming out to play. You are free to pursue esoteric and ideal tournament formats all you want, and as I've said myself many times, I will follow along with interest and look forward to adopting the ideas that will work for me and my local community. *You* may care about an Ideal Format. *I* care about getting people off their butts and into the game shop to play.

Don't tell me I'm the one in the armchair, Cornpuff.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I see we are back a willful misunderstanding.
Believe me when I say I would much rather talk about the questions ElginB proposed then spend the rest of this thread arguing with you, but when you slander my credibility and Legacy at every opportunity it makes it difficult.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Whatever. I know for an absolute fact that many of our readers understand what I've said, including the kind words I've had for Legacy, though you apparently do not.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 14th, 2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: I hope anyone who thinks I may have "slandered" Cornpuff or Legacy will take a moment & see I have not, in fact, done so...
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Woah... discussion in this thread is still going on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
Does anybody in this discussion really have a problem with tournament directors throwing events with customized elements (like adjusted point values or restricted unit lists)? Sometimes I'm not sure what everybody's arguing about...
I would NEVER go to an adjusted unit tournament, Legacy or CUC unless I was completely desparate for a HS event.

(Heck, in that case I'd probably even run my own tournament)
Quote:
I'm just trying to summarize the main themes of this discussion-- do these seem about right?

a) Is Heroscape balanced?
Is every unit used equally? No. However, that's not a bad thing, just a fact.
Quote:

b) In what ways can Heroscape's balance be altered?
Draft tournaments. It lets lesser-used units come in, but doesn't screw up the cards.
Quote:

c) If Heroscape is imbalanced, what's the best method to balance it? Is there one best method or multiple best methods?
The best way? Anything without adjusting what's on the card. Or, you could just apply some peer pressure on "that guy" who always brings Q9 + Reavers + Rats Raelin
Quote:

d) Amongst balancing methods, which ones are most likely to be embraced by tournament directors/attendees?
No idea... If I knew, I wouldn't be discussing in this thread.
Quote:

e) Is there any one balancing method likely to be embraced by this entire website?
See answer to d)

Last edited by Kaemon Awa 123; March 14th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Show me *your* list of tournaments run, *your* list of people brought to tournaments, *your* contributions to the current era of Fanscape, and then we can discuss who is talking from his armchair.
Am I to understand this is not an assault on my credibility?

Or this?

Quote:
If a person wants to sit in his armchair at home, never going or rarely going to an event...
I admit you have had some kind words for Legacy, "as far as it goes."

And are you seriously asking me what my contribution to the current era of fanscape is? It's staring you in the face, whether you like it or not is your prerogative.

Sigh. I just want to talk about balance...

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff View Post
Quote:
Am I to understand this is not an assault on my credibility?

Or this?

Quote:
If a person wants to sit in his armchair at home, never going or rarely going to an event...
I admit you have had some kind words for Legacy, "as far as it goes."

And are you seriously asking me what my contribution to the current era of fanscape is? It's staring you in the face, whether you like it or not is your prerogative.

Sigh. I just want to talk about balance...
All that Dad_Scaper is saying is that in his history as both a tournament director and tournament player, which, (no offence intended) is quite a bit larger than yours if I understand correctly, he has not found Legacy to be necessary, and the Metagame does not need "fixing".

However, he is saying that Legacy is a perfectly good system, and that a Legacy event would be fun every now and then, but he doesn't think of it any different than other varients of Heroscape such as draft formats or the (rather ingenious) Heroes' Gauntlet Run.

Me? I certainly think that Legacy is different, although I think that you should walk away with the opinion of the more respected, older member.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Except when I need the move boost

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb

c) If Heroscape is imbalanced, what's the best method to balance it? Is there one best method or multiple best methods?

The best way? Anything without adjusting what's on the card. Or, you could just apply some peer pressure on "that guy" who always brings Q9 + Reavers + Rats
Reavers AND rats?

I Hate Atlaga is the Roman Legionnaire...
in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

"Older"? ...

See, Cornpuff, I told you some people understood what I was saying. I encourage you once again, if you have a format you believe in, to run the event, and I hope a hundred people come and you have a great time.

I think the Pacific Northwest has more than a few players on here and they might come, Legacy or not, and if they don't want another Legacy event right after Typhon2222's, I hope you don't feel too constrained to try something else.

The most important thing is that the people who enjoy the game, in any one of its many forms, come out to play.

= =
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Atlaga View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb

The best way? Anything without adjusting what's on the card. Or, you could just apply some peer pressure on "that guy" who always brings Q9 + Reavers + Rats
Reavers AND rats?
Bah... editing now...
Quote:
"Older"? ...

Well, simply going off the fact that you're a Dad, I certainly hope that you're older than me
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
"Older"? ...

You farts get so grumpy in your old age. Go playtest some SoV stuff will ya?

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion