Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Typhon2222's Maps — added Moisture Farms (Jan. 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Folks, out of curiosity, how are you finding Dance of the Dryads, particularly with these glyphs? Are most figures going down the middle, or are the sides seeing some action too?
I chose those glyphs for this map because I don't think this map needs powerful glyphs to make the sides attractive. In my game the glyphs were empty for most of the game but did see action later on. Despite this, there was plenty of movement towards the sides of the map, particularly with ranged figures.

Quote:
Much jockeying in and around the big shadow pits?
Not in my game, but I saw a fair bit in some other games. They are in play for sure.

Quote:
Anybody feel the map is too punishing for ranged?
It's all a matter of taste, right? If a map pool for a tournament was all maps like this, I might go all-melee. Still, range is always nice for trying to draw the other guy in where you want, even if the ranged perches are mostly either exposed or on hot ground.
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:02 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

dok, thanks for the feedback. Especially when it sounds all positive -- you must be getting soft. Hope you didn't hit your head on anything recently?

I'm especially glad to hear the sides are seeing some good action, and that the shadow pits aren't ignored. I know you've seen a lot of different games/armies on the map by now -- I'm guessing at least a dozen? It's great to get the big picture.
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Finally I think this map is not too strong for melee at all, mostly because if you go straigth forward in the middle you'll be attacked from height very easily.

All parts of the maps are usefull, no camping problem if you put glyphs which are usefull in almost every machup, no balance problem, it's a great map overall.

Looking forward Desesperado, I sense strong potential in this one.

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

DotD, I really like that map.

Well, I like most if not all of your maps, so that doesn't say too much!
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Finally I think this map is not too strong for melee at all, mostly because if you go straigth forward in the middle you'll be attacked from height very easily.

All parts of the maps are usefull, no camping problem if you put glyphs which are usefull in almost every machup, no balance problem, it's a great map overall.

Looking forward Desesperado, I sense strong potential in this one.
Yay, thanks Foudzing, for your analysis (and nice words). It looks as if Dance of the Dryads has turned out well.

Can't wait to see what you think of Desperado! I think the upcoming online round will be the first time it's been used at a tournament.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
DotD, I really like that map.

Well, I like most if not all of your maps, so that doesn't say too much!
Oh go on with you!

Old February 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Folks, here's hoping I can ask for your help.

I really liked the last version (v9) of The Borogoves. Only problem: it couldn't accommodate the Hive.

So I've tinkered with it a bit to make it Hive-friendly. But I'm debating between two versions. And because I don't currently have access to my 'Scape stuff, I can't build these for reals to try them out. So I'd love to get your thoughts on which you think would be more fun/balanced.

The first (v10a) is essentially the previous version, just with SZs rearranged to accommodate the Hive.

v10b adds a twist: two double-hex dungeon tiles are added at level 2, linking the huge 24-hex dungeon tiles with the single-hex level-2 sand tiles in the center. Those single sand tiles were previously little isolated hillocks. This version turns them into spurs connected to the big dungeon plate. A few shadow tiles are rearranged as well.

In terms of actual changes in terrain, the diffs are pretty minimal. But given their location, the effect on gameplay should be a lot bigger. Any prefs?

THE BOROGOVES (v10a) (download PDF)

THE BOROGOVES (v10b) (download PDF)

Last edited by Typhon2222; February 12th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Just glancing at it, and thinking of the one game I played on this map, and without having any rational reason or argument, I mildly prefer v10b.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Aesthetically, I like the shadows around the central tree. (And it looks like they are supported (i.e. there are tiles under them), so I think that structurally the tree should work.)

I'm not sure about game play, but at a glance 10a looks better, fwiw.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Just glancing at it, and thinking of the one game I played on this map, and without having any rational reason or argument, I mildly prefer v10b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Aesthetically, I like the shadows around the central tree. (And it looks like they are supported (i.e. there are tiles under them), so I think that structurally the tree should work.)

I'm not sure about game play, but at a glance 10a looks better, fwiw.
Indeed, all shadow tiles sit atop level-1 pieces, so the central tree is super-snug.

Caps, 1Mmirg, thanks you two! My own ambivalence finds confirmation.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:37 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Played on Desperado last night:

580 points (480 must be C+ or lower)
kevindola: Master Win Chiu Woo, Shaolin Monks x4, Krav Maga Agents, Otonashi
brandonwiker: deathstalkers x2, Deathwalker 9000, Deadeye Dan, Dumutef Guard x2, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Isamu

For brandon's thoughts you can click here

I am a big fan of the castle walls as LOS blockers and thought it played great here. We didn't have a ton of range in our build % wise (Kravs for me and Deadeye and DW9K for him), but there were definitely times I had monks stealth leap over the walls to get protection from DW9K.

A lot of the early action took place in the middle of the road (stalkers vs. monks), but I both edges had action. DW9K took the level 3 road space near the upper glyph and could peak to the center of the map from there. He did quite the damage too, hitting two different Explosions (once he targeted his own deathstalker to hit Win Chiu and 2 monks) The other action off the road occured when I threatened his start zone with Win Chiu at the solitary levle 3 space dungeon next to the shadow. Dumutef blocked and ninjas converged on him and there was quite a bit of action there.

The ninjas used the walls to great effect when creeping on the Krav, and I like the small path through the walls coming out of the startzone. I didn't really like the level 0 shadow. Seemed more cumbersome than beneficial. I think those would go better as level 1 or a mix of 1/0. I really like the water placement in the road. It lent itself to some nice strategic decisions. The solitary level 3 road seems out of place surrounded by dungeon, but maybe you don't have the pieces to make it dungeon as well.

Some highlights from the actual game:

Deathwalker was a champ, killing 5-6 monks, 1 Krav, and 1 wound to Win Chiu. He blocked time after time, including 2x 3 skull krav attacks, and rolling 7 shields once!

He actually pushed into my SZ to kill a sleeping Krav, and is the first time I can remember an opposing Deathwalker 9K getting into a startzone. And then after the survived everything, he disengaged from Otonashi to reach a Krav and I rolled a skull. (He did this because he was going to face a Ulinava boosted Krav attacks of 4 and 5)

Master Win Chiu was great on this map and not facing much range. I had a great spot for him and all the monks early were always getting his bonus. He was slapping stalkers and ninjas around, and only had taken 1 wound. I was camping him by Kelda just in case. But none of that mattered when Deadeye Dan (on his second try) rolled a 19 and dropped the Monk master.

The deathstalkers were terrible though, and the Dumtefs did nothing. Brandon's ninjas disappeared often, but didn't actually kill much except a couple of straggling monks. The endgame could have gone either way with Isamu, 1 Deathstalker vs. 1 Monk and 1 Krav, and Oto but I got the luck at the end.
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:39 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Played on Desperado last night:

580 points (480 must be C+ or lower)
kevindola: Master Win Chiu Woo, Shaolin Monks x4, Krav Maga Agents, Otonashi
brandonwiker: deathstalkers x2, Deathwalker 9000, Deadeye Dan, Dumutef Guard x2, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Isamu

For brandon's thoughts you can click here

I am a big fan of the castle walls as LOS blockers and thought it played great here. We didn't have a ton of range in our build % wise (Kravs for me and Deadeye and DW9K for him), but there were definitely times I had monks stealth leap over the walls to get protection from DW9K.

A lot of the early action took place in the middle of the road (stalkers vs. monks), but I both edges had action. DW9K took the level 3 road space near the upper glyph and could peak to the center of the map from there. He did quite the damage too, hitting two different Explosions (once he targeted his own deathstalker to hit Win Chiu and 2 monks) The other action off the road occured when I threatened his start zone with Win Chiu at the solitary levle 3 space dungeon next to the shadow. Dumutef blocked and ninjas converged on him and there was quite a bit of action there.

The ninjas used the walls to great effect when creeping on the Krav, and I like the small path through the walls coming out of the startzone. I didn't really like the level 0 shadow. Seemed more cumbersome than beneficial. I think those would go better as level 1 or a mix of 1/0. I really like the water placement in the road. It lent itself to some nice strategic decisions. The solitary level 3 road seems out of place surrounded by dungeon, but maybe you don't have the pieces to make it dungeon as well.

Some highlights from the actual game:

Deathwalker was a champ, killing 5-6 monks, 1 Krav, and 1 wound to Win Chiu. He blocked time after time, including 2x 3 skull krav attacks, and rolling 7 shields once!

He actually pushed into my SZ to kill a sleeping Krav, and is the first time I can remember an opposing Deathwalker 9K getting into a startzone. And then after the survived everything, he disengaged from Otonashi to reach a Krav and I rolled a skull. (He did this because he was going to face a Ulinava boosted Krav attacks of 4 and 5)

Master Win Chiu was great on this map and not facing much range. I had a great spot for him and all the monks early were always getting his bonus. He was slapping stalkers and ninjas around, and only had taken 1 wound. I was camping him by Kelda just in case. But none of that mattered when Deadeye Dan (on his second try) rolled a 19 and dropped the Monk master.

The deathstalkers were terrible though, and the Dumtefs did nothing. Brandon's ninjas disappeared often, but didn't actually kill much except a couple of straggling monks. The endgame could have gone either way with Isamu, 1 Deathstalker vs. 1 Monk and 1 Krav, and Oto but I got the luck at the end.
Yea I disengaged to try to kill another krav, they were by far the greatest threat at that point in the game, it was a huge risk, probably cost me the game, but had I gotten away with disengage it probably would have been a different game.

And, of course you used those single hex perches with the krav to good effect. I totally hated that. The last round I had both isamu and a stalker by the last krav, couldn't kill him from low ground. I don't know how the tournaments usually run things, but I know that usually in my own maps, I shoot to make any highest point at least 3 hexes wide/long so that one figure can't camp there for auto height against melee(although truthfully it usually ends up being 5-7 hexes, lol)

That would probably be my only complaint with the map. Take it with a grain of salt, I don't do tourneys, I'm just entitled to my opinion. It was a good map, like kev said, action was all over the map.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios