Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

I recall somewhere along the way Husk of the Holdfast was rejected and resubmitted for BoV approval due to map corrections. Is this correct? The reason I ask is the map download I have a link to still has two extra starting zones and ladder over water placement. Can someone point me to an updated link? Thanks.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I recall somewhere along the way Husk of the Holdfast was rejected and resubmitted for BoV approval due to map corrections. Is this correct? The reason I ask is the map download I have a link to still has two extra starting zones and ladder over water placement. Can someone point me to an updated link? Thanks.
It appears that the link in my review of the map is correct.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old January 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks, Dignan.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Maps currently being reviewed:

"Sidewinder" by GameBear
I suppose the natural place to begin, is with the starting zones. “Sidewinder” has you making important decisions even before you place your first turn marker. Glaciers divide each start zone, providing cover for key figures while adding some complexity in the deployment department. You’d best have a plan before you begin placing figures, because a little forethought here can pay dividends later in the game.

Water tiles are thoughtfully placed, blocking off one entire side of each start zone. Botch your initial order marker placements and your army could come up all wet. This arrangement benefits flyers, double-spaced units, and as previously mentioned – Knights. Best of all, the water tiles prevent ‘reavers from reaching the right-side glyph until turn 3 – impressive.

Speaking of glyphs, they are particularly well placed on “Sidewinder”. Each is on low ground and draws play to an otherwise undesirable portion of the map. Thanks to the water tiles mentioned above, a ‘reaver player will not automatically win both glyphs with a lucky initiative roll – hallelujah!

I’ve always loved the look of Tundra maps, but until now I’ve never seen one that played well using the optional movement rules. On most, using heavy snow or slippery ice rules creates an instant death-trap for melee players – despite all of the LOS blockers. This is the first map I’ve seen where the heavy snow rules feel right – hampering access to the highest points of the battlefield without slowing figures attempting to engage. I've never seen better use of Thaelenk Tundra than on Sidewinder. Bravo GameBear!

My vote is yes for inclusion in the BoV.

YES = 2(Jexik, Kahrma); NO = 0;Pending = 4(Dignan, Longheroscaper, Bunjee, Velenne)
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm here to revote yes to Lowland Paths. I didn't have a problem with it to begin with and I have less of no problem with it now.

<goes back to MMO's until his Scaping buddy gets back from a honeymoon>
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Well, that's twice now that Lowland Paths has made it through the first phase...Thanks to those who liked it enough to allow it's review and I hope that once you've played it a few times you'll either let it pass to the BOV so I can see it at some tournaments or give me some good criticisms so I can make it better!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM

Atombob Woo who?

Oh my Gosh, I only read through about 50% of this thread and it is amazing. I would like to thank all the BOV Judges for doing this.

I was an avid Heroclix player and partial Heroscape player, but now I am becoming more of a Heroscape player and just a part time Heroclix player. This thread just shows me how Great of a Community this is, and how much devotion everyone has to this game.

I love building maps but had hit a slump in coming up with some cool ideas. This thread has reinvigorated my brain with some cool ideas to use on my maps. I am going to try out all of the BOV maps and some that did not make it. I had been building maps that covered my whole table but this has shown me the beauty of smaller maps (now I can fit two on my table for double the fun).

Thanks to R˙chean for the well organized second Post. It is very well put together in finding new maps to try out.

Thanks to all the BOV Judges (past and present) for presenting your thoughts on the maps in such a professional way. You are quickly turning me into a Heroscape addict
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
you'll either let it pass to the BOV so I can see it at some tournaments
Just wanted to point that the majority of BoV maps got there in reverse fashion. Most of the maps enjoyed significant tournament play before they were ever nominated for BoV. Getting you map into a tournament is significantly easier than getting it into the BoV.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Heck, the fact that it got approved for REVIEW gives it some credibility. One of the conundrums I have here is that the tournaments that are held locally (Dayton OH) use Marduk's maps almost exclusively, and the one down in Louisville only uses BOV maps. Luckily I have a cadre of friends that play our own maps, but it's nice to get the views of more than 5-6 people sometimes.

I have to agree with you, though - there's not very many maps at all in the Halls Of Valhalla, but there's a lot of tourney maps that have been played.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atombob View Post
I am going to try out all of the BOV maps and some that did not make it.
Yes, many of the maps that made it to review but didn't make the final cut are still very good maps. I highly encourage anyone looking for a solid map for casual play to take a look at that list. Keyholes and Ruins of Nalanda were two of my favorites in playtesting even though I voted no on them.

To add to what R˙chean said, regular (i.e. non-tournament) Heroscape game days are another good time to try out maps you think may be tournament-worthy. If you find a couple that play well, consider them for your next local tournament. If they still play well, then consider nominating them for BOV review. Local HS gaming groups can be a kind of laboratory in this process.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Just wanted to point that the majority of BoV maps got there in reverse fashion. Most of the maps enjoyed significant tournament play before they were ever nominated for BoV. Getting you map into a tournament is significantly easier than getting it into the BoV.
See: Winter Holdout. People played it at GenCon and Tree Town Open IV, but it got nixed by the first two judges to review it. It's a good map, but lacked that level of polish expected by the panel.

I'll agree that it's good publicity though; people often select maps that are simply nominated here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; February 4th, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: ;
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Does someone keep a list of all nominated maps somewhere? I really don't like the idea of going through this entire thread to find the maps that didn't make it. Although I am curious enough to do it if no one has yet.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios