Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Bases and stickers

Unfortunately, no. After reading your post, I sent him an e-mail. Hopefully he'll have some news. The last note I had from him expressed that pricing would be an issue and he was researching other options.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:14 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Unfortunately, no. After reading your post, I sent him an e-mail. Hopefully he'll have some news. The last note I had from him expressed that pricing would be an issue and he was researching other options.
Hah hah, if he doesn't, I may be the only dork on the planet who will buy Yodajunkie's custom-molded Large Peanut bases and spray-paint them black.
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

We also know that Litko can make bases that match the size of the all the bases they just can't do the bevel because they are laser cut.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM

impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker

My problems so far:

A plastic mould to make them would be $3000 for each size (small and large). I'm not sure I could get my $6k back for this investment.

Yodajunkie did not respond to my email to see if I could work with him to stock his bases in my store.

My resin caster quoted me a price that would make Yodajunkie's much more affordable.

I don't have the equipment to do resin casting in house.

Litko can make them for me but they won't be beveled and again ... Yodajunkie's would be much more affordable.

I'm trying ... but the only option I've found that really works so far is a $6k investment and we are just too small of company to bite on that.

Tom @ Impact!
Old September 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Tom, thanks oodles for the reply, and for having looked into it.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM

Tom at Impact Miniatures is now offering his bases in spray-painted BROWN as well as the original black.

He's not yet had time to add the entries to his website, but says they should be up within a few days.

He mentioned using Krylon, so I assume it's the same Krylon Fusion—Satin Brown described by Mac122 on page 2.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Tom at Impact Miniatures is now offering his bases in spray-painted BROWN as well as the original black.

He's not yet had time to add the entries to his website, but says they should be up within a few days.

He mentioned using Krylon, so I assume it's the same Krylon Fusion—Satin Brown described by Mac122 on page 2.
That's awesome! If I didn't have so many bases already I would definitely order these. It's hard to find the time and a good place to paint them while I'm in university.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM

impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Yes it is the paint that Mac122 identified. Very hard to find for me ... had to order it through the internet ... but we try to please.

Right now I'm looking at a price of $3 for either 15 30mm painted or 6 40mm painted. That price may go down a bit as I see how many bases I can paint before the can runs out. I'm at 250 and the can is already making some sputtering noises (might improve my number over time ... but since I am selling these ... I'm really trying to make sure the coating hides the black fully (which may be why I'm not getting tons of bases out of the first can (getting the black hidden is easy on the top but a b*tch on the sloped sides when painting 50 to 100 at a time. I'm almost be better off if this specific Krylon paint was a canned paint that I could create a dip tray system to use so that I would know everything gets covered properly on all sides with each dip ... but make do with what have)

Tom

Last edited by impactminiatures; October 22nd, 2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling fix
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Try spraying into a boxed in area so all the paint that usually mists in the air gets contained and helps cover the bases better. Keeping in mind that adding lighter color to a darker one typically will require more work. If your bases were white (or any lighter shade for that matter) to begin with it'd take less paint. You'd also get more out of a real airbrush over a can of paint but finding the exact color may take more work.

Old November 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactminiatures View Post
Quote:
Yes it is the paint that Mac122 identified. Very hard to find for me ... had to order it through the internet ... but we try to please.

Right now I'm looking at a price of $3 for either 15 30mm painted or 6 40mm painted. That price may go down a bit as I see how many bases I can paint before the can runs out. I'm at 250 and the can is already making some sputtering noises (might improve my number over time ... but since I am selling these ... I'm really trying to make sure the coating hides the black fully (which may be why I'm not getting tons of bases out of the first can (getting the black hidden is easy on the top but a b*tch on the sloped sides when painting 50 to 100 at a time. I'm almost be better off if this specific Krylon paint was a canned paint that I could create a dip tray system to use so that I would know everything gets covered properly on all sides with each dip ... but make do with what have)

Tom
I just got my order from Tom/Impact Miniatures in today's mail. They look awesome! I ordered 100 of his large (40mm), and 150 of the small (30mm). The color of the spray-painted bases is almost a perfect match for the originals.

Tom if you're reading this.... you rock. Thanks oodles.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I just got my order from Tom/Impact Miniatures in today's mail. They look awesome! I ordered 100 of his large (40mm), and 150 of the small (30mm). The color of the spray-painted bases is almost a perfect match for the originals.

Tom if you're reading this.... you rock. Thanks oodles.
Pics? Must see!!!

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Pics? Must see!!!
Hee hee, afraid this is all I have at the moment. D&D Beholders, rebased on the large (40mm) brown bases and stickers from Impact Miniatures.

The color of the bases are pretty close to the original. They're a tad lighter, I'd say, a bit more butterscotchy. But hardly noticeable.

If I have one wish, it's not about the bases, but Impact's stickers. They're considerably lighter in color than the originals (brighter yellows and greens, less brown), and busier (i.e., more lines, and they're more clearly defined). I prefer the deeper colors and blurred lines of Yodajunkie's stickers, which match the originals better and above all are less distracting. These stickers are so busy that they sometimes draw attention away from whatever is atop them. (Okay, not when the thing atop them is a huge purple Beholder. But with smaller, less retina-searing figures....)

I'm kinda surprised that Impact Miniatures and Yodajunkie haven't just scanned the original stickers in order to reproduce them perfectly. Must be technical problems (or maybe copyright issues?) that I'm not aware of or something. Even just changing the levels in Photoshop -- to mute the bright yellows and greens -- would help.

But the brown bases themselves are awesome! And as a whole package, I'm really happy with them. Tom of Impact Miniatures offers amazing customer service too. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Typhon2222; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards