Thread: Workshop Thread
View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Can you please provide feedback for this:
Quote:
I suppose somebody has to be first...

Quote:
My entry for the ARV The Uncharted Wellsprings contest:

Great Tree Pass
The world of Valhalla is in its own right a mystical world. A convergence of cosmic energies and forces. So it wasn’t really a surprise that after centuries of reverance and homage being made to the great tree of the pass, that a wellspring should appear below it’s boughs.

Download

Hold the Pass
(2 players)
Required Sets: Rise of the Valkyrie™ Master Set, Road through the Forgotten Forest™, Swarm of the Marro Master Set™

The Great Tree Pass, as it has become known, is a prominent crossing point of the Hvelgelmir river. The pass derives its name from the great tree standing on a mid-stream island adjacent to the pass. Standing strong against the tide, the tree has stood for over a century and is a demonstration of nature’s strength. Or maybe its strength comes from the blood that has washed its shores.
Now the tree stands as a marker of strength of another kind. Who will possess the wellspring shadowed by the great tree?
Your map visually looks awesome! However, the main flaw in it is the imbalance of range vs melee. A ranged army can climb up the high ground and shoot advancing melee for days, while melee is stuck trying to cross a 1-hex bridge (which is easily blocked) or trying to slog through the low valley (a venture which would take several turns and that any unit would be incredibly lucky to survive). For me personally, a map's balance in range vs melee fights is one of the biggest things I pay attention to, and in all honesty this map just isn't fair to melee. I think that a range v range or melee v melee fight on this map would be interesting, though. Although even still, the wellspring area is still just so low that the journey down would almost always be suicide, meaning you have to focus on a battle of attrition on the bridge (and attrition dice-offs aren't really fun for competitive play). This map is cool enough that I would probably use it for a casual draft game, but as far as a competitive map goes, it falls short.

But like I said, it looks great, and so does the .pdf! In fact, I was meaning to ask you (not to derail the thread too much): did you do that yourself or is there a program that you used to make it? I really like the presentation and especially thought that the way you incorporated the wellspring into the victory conditions for your scenario was really awesome!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19