Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 5th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Contest Thread: The Uncharted Wellsprings

Current Contest:

All right everyone, we're back in action with another exciting map building contest. Your VirtualScape programs are warmed up so lets keep em going! We’re calling on all map builders to come up with competitive, tournament worthy maps and to submit them here for scoring. In the end, 10 maps will be chosen and used in our The Uncharted Wellsprings themed tournament, and of the 10, #1 will be given a very high quality prize…that is: one of TREX’s very own handmade dice towers/bowls…for an idea of what he can do…check out his links here (1 , 2 , 3). These were the prizes at our last two contests (1, 2).

Why are we doing this?
It's time for map building to gain new life and excitement among heroscapers, and we're here to help that along. As well, we love making maps as good as the BoV and what better way to get recognition for your maps, and playtesting them than at a tournament! Granted, all submissions won't be tournament worthy, which is why we'll make careful selection for the Top 10 maps.

This is also the third contest we are running, now having officially publicized our map building group: Architects of the Realms of Valhalla. Map building has been dead -or dying- of late, and we have brought it back to life with some stellar contests focused around community involvement.

Submissions Accepted Starting...
May 10th, 2017
Submissions will be due...
May 31st, 2017 @11:59pm MST

Guidelines
  1. General guidelines for all contests specifically outlined in OP of the Welcome thread.
  2. Maps MUST have a backstory as you submit the map. Help us envision being there, and the story behind it. It can be as simple as a couple sentences or much longer, but we want to see more than just the map itself.
  3. Maps MUST have a designated Wellspring(s) on the map indicated by a powerside up power glyph on it.

Scoring

ALL maps submitted will be revised and scored according to the following Rubric:
  • Aesthetics/Creativity(originality of build/looks good): 10pts
  • Balanced (doesn't favor one build over another): 20pts
    Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.)
  • Fits Theme & Good name: 10pts

Total: 40pts

*The sitting judges scoring the maps:
@Tiranx
@Sir Heroscape
@TREX
@BiggaBullfrog

*Each map will have a rubric filled out, one from each judge. All the scores will then be averaged for one final score for that map.

*At the end of the deadline, the top 10 maps will be chosen and posted. A PUBLIC POLL will then be opened for the community to vote on the best map out of the top 10. The map winner will be posted after a week long poll and the prize awarded. All 10 maps will be used in our Tournament.

Map Building Tips for Competitive Design (from the judges)
1. avoid putting Power Glyphs on height (exceptions may be made depending on the build)
2. Double-spaced figures must be able to access all glyphs
3. Glyphs should not be able to be reached turn 1 by 5 or 6 move figures
4. avoid too much elevation close to the start zone (exceptions may be made depending on the build)

Prizes
  • TREX’s handmade dice tower/bowl!
    Spoiler Alert!
  • The Glory and Honor of having your map used in a tournament with a very active heroscape community

Known Mapmakers
@TheSparkleInYourWater @Cleon @Skylord163 @TheEpicAlpaca @capsocrates @Tornado @Dad_Scaper @Colorcrayons @Dignan @All Your Pie @Annerios @arp12 @Bengi @BiggaBullfrog @Blodshogams @Browncoat @Buddy Lee @Cavalier @cavie @dok @Eclipse @Elstree @nyys @Fedex worker @Filthy the Clown @GaryLASQ @GeneralRolando @Hahma @Nadi @Hex_Enduction_Hour @hivelord @j-Bird @Jexik @killercactus @Killometer @kolakoski @kriegskeks @Lamaclown @legoboy @lonewolf @mad_wookiee @master4sword @MegaSilver @Mooseman @NecroBlade @Obsidian @ollie @pauldragon @peteparkerh @quozl @rednax @Retlaw @robbdaman @Robber @R˙chean @rym @Ryougabot @'Scaper94 @Shades fan @Sherman Davies @skyknight @Scapemage @srmalloy @stubobj @SuperflyTNT @Swamper @Taelord @tannergx @The CEE @tom @twilkerson @Typhon2222 @Viegon @Warlord Alpha @Wind Lane @Yodaking @zanter

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; May 20th, 2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:52 PM

Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Heroscape wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Contest Thread: The Uncharted Wellsprings

[Reserved]
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:47 PM

Submissions open Wednesday, so start thinking about what you're going to build!
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:33 PM
HoSSpitable little wookiee (apparently "wookiee" has 2 E's, who knew?)

heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Guidelines
  1. General guidelines for all contests specifically outlined in OP of the Welcome thread.
  2. Maps MUST have a backstory as you submit the map. Help us envision being there, and the story behind it. It can be as simple as a couple sentences or much longer, but we want to see more than just the map itself.
  3. Maps MUST have a designated Wellspring(s) on the map indicated by a powerside up power glyph on it.
For clarity,

#3, is which power glyph we use or what it does up to us? Or is it even supposed to do anything other than indicate the wellspring(s)? Or is that up to us too?

My Maps
Spoiler Alert!
Tournament Record: 10-17
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:58 PM

@heroscaper2010

Whatever power glyph you use is up to you and it will be active, it is not just a placeholder. The idea is that the Wellsprings are giving you greater power against your enemies...just like in the lore.
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:12 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'll muse a bit about the theme and see if anything comes to mind.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'll muse a bit about the theme and see if anything comes to mind.
Well the past two times you've mused have turned out pretty well, so I'm excited to see what you come up with
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:57 AM

vvildeyedjoker is surprisingly tart

Hi all,

I think I want to throw my hat into this ring. This is my first contest. On the Welcome Thread for this I saw that we were allowed to upload the map to our threads as long as we state that it is for this contest. Being new to this contest I wanted to try and upload it to my own thread first to make sure I knew how. To preface this I am not asking anyone to review my map or anything, but I was wondering if someone could follow the map link in my signature and see if everything uploaded correctly. Again not asking for any opinions or anything on the map itself (although I would definitely be open for tips or critique if thats allowed) I just wanted to make sure I uploaded it correctly and in the right format. Thanks.

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 9th, 2017 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvildeyedjoker View Post
Hi all,

I think I want to throw my hat into this ring. This is my first contest. On the Welcome Thread for this I saw that we were allowed to upload the map to our threads as long as we state that it is for this contest. Being new to this contest I wanted to try and upload it to my own thread first to make sure I knew how. To preface this I am not asking anyone to review my map or anything, but I was wondering if someone could follow the map link in my signature and see if everything uploaded correctly. Again not asking for any opinions or anything on the map itself (although I would definitely be open for tips or critique if thats allowed) I just wanted to make sure I uploaded it correctly and in the right format. Thanks.
The image looks good and the link is working just fine. I think you've got it all figured out
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:15 AM

You may now submit your maps for the contest!
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:09 PM

Anxiously awaiting to see what people come up with
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:15 PM

TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TREX is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Anxiously awaiting to see what people come up with
I have finally finished up all my have to do projects around the house and the prize for this contest is up next on my agenda. Once the prize is posted it should bump up some competition I would think. Its going to be sweet looking. I'll probably be able to finish it tonight.
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla