Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old August 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
GenCon Parking?

I've checked the GenCon website and it was less than helpful regarding parking for people who are not staying at hotels. Everywhere I've checked pretty much just says, 'Um...drive around and cross your fingers.' I won't be able to stay at a meter because I'll be playing in the championship on Friday.

I'll be arriving in Indy hopefully around 8:30 on Friday morning, leaving me 90 minutes to park and get to the tournament. What are some good things to consider? I've been thinking about parking far away and just calling for a cab.

Any tips?

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: GenCon Parking?

There are parking garages all around downtown Indianapolis.

This isn't the best map, but is shows the parking areas: Downtown Indy Parking Note: it is an inter-active map -- click on the icons on the left to add/remove the clutter on the map.

I think the cheapest is to park at the Zoo and walk over ($5/day), the museum garage (underground) is $10 a day and closer. The mall garages will depend on your length of stay, but could be from $10 to $20/day.

Last edited by Retlaw; August 13th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Next time I am parking at the zoo and walking... It was $100 to park my car at the hotel for 4 nights...
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

I only stayed 2 days. My first was on the top floor of the Mall Parking Lot, which was very crowded. It was very poorly laid out and almost dangerous. It cost me $12. The next day I drove in from my hotel at 8 am. I parked in the Parking Garage just north of the convention center. The Garage is 90% reserved for State Employees but they have a few public spots (it was full the first day I came). It was very easy to get in and out and only cost a maximum of $5 for the entire day.

The Zoo is a few miles away, isn't it?
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1 View Post
I only stayed 2 days. My first was on the top floor of the Mall Parking Lot, which was very crowded. It was very poorly laid out and almost dangerous. It cost me $12. The next day I drove in from my hotel at 8 am. I parked in the Parking Garage just north of the convention center. The Garage is 90% reserved for State Employees but they have a few public spots (it was full the first day I came). It was very easy to get in and out and only cost a maximum of $5 for the entire day.

The Zoo is a few miles away, isn't it?
If you park at the southeast corner of the zoo parking lot, it might be 1/2 a mile at the most. Trouble is, I don't think they allow overnight parking.
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was wondering if anyone had up-to-date info on GenCon parking.

Last year, I saw there is a huge parking area south of the convention center ... Lucas Oil stadium, I think? Does that have public parking, or is it just for games?

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I would like to know this too, as it's my first time going down there. I'm only going for Saturday and plan on getting there pretty early. But not being familiar with the area, I wasn't sure about the parking situation. I don't have a problem paying $20 or so for it all day, but just need to know where the decent spots are in relationship to the Convention Center.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Disinfretinated

mecha frog knows what's in an order marker mecha frog knows what's in an order marker

I always park at the World Wonders garage. This is one that is connected to the walkway to the CC and the mall. $20/day but I've never had a problem finding a spot. I'm usually downtown by 9am and am mostly able to get a spot within one level of the walkway.

Retlaws link is still good. http://map.indydt.org/iamap.cfm
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ruler of the Damned

The Circle Center garage (one block east of the convention center on Maryland street - same one Mecha talks about) is convient and close -- $20/day.

There are lot(s) south of the convention center (between Lucas Oil Stadium and the convention center on the south side of the railroad tracks) that were $10/day last year. It is a bit longer walk than the Circle Center garage, but maybe only a couple of blocks.

There are several garages other on Capital Avenue (east side of convention center) - I don't know the daily rate, but would guess around $20/day.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Thanks fellas

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con