Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The Axegrinders of Burning Forge - what's your army idea?

Truth is keeping us pumped this week:

Against Large/Huge figs these guys might be worth it even without Migol. Still, in a non-draft army:

Migol Ironwill 110
2xAxegrinders 140
Brave Arrow 50
2xMohicans 140
Zetacron 60

Aquilla has some real army potential now! So what Fearless Fighting thoughts have been percolating through your brain?

~Aldin, yellowly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Axegrinders of Burning Forge - what's your army idea

Axegrinders x3 210
KoW x3 420
Q9 600

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Dwarves x 3 - 210 Migol - 320 Raelin 2 - 440 Zetacron - 500

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Axegrinders x2: 140
Migol: 110
Zetacron: 60
Taelord: 180
Isamu: 10
Total: 500pts, 13 hexes.

Another deadly striker/shooter means another boost for Taelord, right?
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I'm going to sound a bit like a broken record here from recent threads, but here's my painfully obvious suggestion:

210 Axegrinders x3
110 Migol
180 Major Q9

Major Q9 gives you the ranged special for rat-clearing. Most good Q9 killers will have trouble with the dwarves. (Minions are arguably the exception.)
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I'm really digging these guys. Similar to dok's...

3x Axegrinders 210
Migol 320
Raelin 400
Krav 500

Or possibly even for the main event...

Braxas 210
Migol 320
2x Axegrinders 460
Theracus or Guilty+Isamu 500

Or maybe just this:

Braxas 210
4x Axegrinders 490 (6 movement all the time!)

Then if you somehow made day 2, you'd have a 50% chance of adding in Migol.

At 600 points, I think my favorite dwarf army would have to be:

4x Axegrinders 280
Migol 390
Braxas 600

If Migol or the dwarves cost just 5 points less, I'd know exactly what my main event army would be. (Migol, 3x Axegrinders, and Nilfheim is 505).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; May 27th, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added point about Nilfheim- I'm not certain that they're super strong yet... but I really do like them.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I'm going to sound a bit like a broken record here from recent threads, but here's my painfully obvious suggestion:

210 Axegrinders x3
110 Migol
180 Major Q9

Major Q9 gives you the ranged special for rat-clearing. Most good Q9 killers will have trouble with the dwarves. (Minions are arguably the exception.)
Yup, that was my suggestion in Migol's thread, too

~Aldin, saying let's hear it for the blindingly obvious

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

Restricted: "No, lad. You fight, I'll shoot."

Axegrindersx2 - 140
Migol - 110
Drudgex2 - 100
Major Q10 - 150

Nothing special - a balance of long range and melee. But I would hand this build to a newbie in a heartbeat as it allows for lots of contingencies: Migol dies? Your Axegrinders sound a real charge. Rats? Bypass with Drudge or pick em' off with Q10. I love that snuggly 250 point block the dwarves bring to modulating the build.

Unrestricted: SHIELD

Axegrindersx2 - 140
Migol - 110
Capt America - 220
Eldgrim - 30

Burn up the pretender to boost the Captain or the Leader - dealer's choice. After which Captain's adjacent bonus should help the squats cross a few names off the book of grudges. I'd say lead the charge with Captain to provide suppressive fire with the shield throw and then bore in with the whole bunch of stunties.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

x3 AG 210
Migol 320
x3 Stingers 500

Good melee with a strong range support.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Okay - Hi/Lo armies:

Migol 110
2xAxegrinders 140
Nakita Agents 120
Iskra 50
Rechets 50
Eldgrim 30

Eldgrim can hold a glyph, but he also looks right thematically The Nakitas and Rechets both are at their best against small and medium figures while the Axegrinders rule the Large and Huge. Smoke Powder is always a fave of mine as well.

Migol 110
2xAxegrinders 140
2xTemplar Cavalry 240
Isamu 10

Again trying to take advantage of the Templar's defense boost versus Smalls and Mediums to synchronize with the Axegrinders kneecapping ability.

Migol 110
2xAxegrinders 140
TorKulNa 220
1xNagrubs 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
~Aldin, the Barbarian

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Okay - Hi/Lo armies:

Migol 110
2xAxegrinders 140
TorKulNa 220
1xNagrubs 30
I really like your idea of mixing the Axegrinders with Tor-Kul-Na, but I think he really benefits from having more then 1 squad of nagrubs. How about:

Axegrinders x 2 - 140
Tor-Kul-Na - 220
Nagrubs x 2 - 60
Rats x 2 (or Raelin) - 80
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

210 Axegrinders x3
110 Migol
180 Major Q9

Yup, that was my suggestion in Migol's thread, too

~Aldin, saying let's hear it for the blindingly obvious
I'd love to see a matchup between that army and KoWx3, Glibert, Nilfheim. I guess it would have been cooler if the Dwarves had been Vydar, which was my guess. It appears that Vydar is the only general left out in the cold in wave 9.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion