Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old December 30th, 2011, 02:54 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
The 1x BftU Challenge (Map Creation Contest)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've had lots of fun lately exploring what can be done with a single BftU. Shangri-La and Ice Thistle have each combined a dungeon set with one expansion, while Lethe's Lament, Galaga, and Galaxian have used nothing but a solitary BftU. I'm not saying they're terrific maps. But I WILL say that trying to squeeze as much as possible out of that single set has been an absolute blast. With rock outcrops to block LoS, and Shadow tiles to give units (ideally melee) a defensive boost, no other set offers so much flexibility with so few tiles. And yet, as you know, that's also precisely the problem: so few tiles....

Is it even possible to make a good tourney-worthy map using nothing but a single BftU? I posted the question on the BoV, and got some great responses. The general consensus seems to be something like "very very tough, but perhaps possible" — along with the conviction that more small maps, light on terrain requirements, would be of benefit to our community.

So, hoping to enlist others in this worthy project, and inspired by Mombo101's recent map contest, I'm launching this one.

GOAL:
Build a good tourney-worthy map using nothing but one solitary BftU set. That's it. A Dungeon set. Nothing else.

Ideally the map will be balanced between melee and ranged; feature fun topography; offer interesting tactical decisions; and if it uses glyphs (which I encourage), ensure they can't be reached by Rats on the first turn. (Ideally it would also offer Raelin no close perches, and be proof against Zelrig-bombs; but given the compressed dimensions, this may be too much to hope for.)

PARAMETERS:
To serve as a common baseline, maps should comply with BoV guidelines, most essentially:
  • Maps should contain exactly 24 hexes of start zone for each player (48 hexes total), clearly marked in the build instructions.
  • Start zones must accommodate the Marro Hive.
  • Stacking zero-height tiles atop each other is not allowed. (Not that you would want to waste them this way anyway. Not here. Every Shadow and Water tile is precious.)
  • Please note: Maps need not be perfectly symmetrical. But please be aware that it can be difficult to assess the balance of wildly asymmetrical maps, and that some voters may prefer to skip over them for that reason.

SUBMISSIONS:
  • Submissions should include a display image (ideally a 3D VirtualScape rendering), and build instructions in PDF format.
  • To avoid bias due to name-brand recognition....please do not emblazon your name directly on the display image of the map. This is to preserve a bit of anonymity: when it comes to voting, we will post the maps without broadcasting their creators' names. (Granted, voters will be able to see who created and uploaded a map as soon as they click on the link to download the PDF; but it will still keep things a bit more anonymous.)

DEADLINE:
Submissions will be accepted starting NOW, and ending Tuesday, January 17 (the day after the MLK holiday). To submit a map, just post it in this thread by the end of the 17th.

If you submit your map early, and end up tweaking/revising it later, don't worry. Just post the revised version in the thread, and I'll happily update things. I'd much rather have people submitting early, knowing they can revise if they like, than have people hold off until the last minute.

JUDGING:
Will take place through polls open to the entire Heroscapers community. Since we'll be awarding prizes for First, Second, and Third place (see below), we'll use approval voting.

PRIZES:
Because of the huge number of submissions, we will be awarding prizes for First, Second, and Third place.

All three winning maps will feature prominently at the upcoming Berkeley tournament I'm organizing for April. I promise to extract lots of feedback from our players, and pass it along.

In addition, the winners will each receive a gift certificate at Auggie's, to spend on anything they want from his store. Use it to buy more terrain! More units! More 'Scape!
  • First place: $30 at Auggie's.
  • Second place: $15 at Auggie's.
  • Third place: $10 at Auggie's.

RANDOM THOUGHTS (and apologies if this is all obvious):
  • Rotational symmetry is great and easy and the type employed for most maps. But in this case, bilateral symmetry (can't define it easily, but my Galaxian exemplifies it) may be an attractive option too, given the odd number of many tiles you'll be working with.
  • Stacking big tiles atop empty spaces is crucial for gaining height while economizing on terrain. Remember you only need 3 hexes (underneath the corners) or 4 hexes (2 underneath each side) to support a 7-hex tile. This is the only way you're going to get enough height to make things interesting. (At least, I think it is.)
  • You've gotta gain horizontal expansion any way you can. Keep your Shadow and Water tiles on level 0 wherever possible, so you can devote your fat tiles to building upwards.
  • Void space may be your friend in gaining some much-needed horizontal separation. It's seldom used, but may be a key asset here. (See Mad_Wookiee's Blindgate for a great example.) Remember that while LoS can be traced across void space, distance must be counted around it.

That's it folks. Consider taking the BftU challenge. Fame, glory, and $30 at Auggie's could be yours! See what you can milk out of a single set.

Just don't blame me if you find yourself humming along with Monty Python.....
Every tile is sacred / Every tile is great / If a tile is wasted, / 'Scape gets quite irate.
Every tile is sacred / Every tile is good / Every tile is needed / in your neighborhood.

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 21st, 2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added Watch Your Back, Caverns, Anvil.
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Map Creation Contest: The 1x BftU Challenge

Quick question. The contest rules state that we may only use a solitary BftU, but then says it must stay within BoV guidelines.

If we can only use one BftU, wouldn't that fall within the BoV guidelines by default or are we allowed to use an expansion (like TT or VW) as well?

-insert signature here-
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
PARAMETERS:
To serve as a common baseline, maps should comply with BoV guidelines, most essentially:
  • Submissions must be in PDF format, and include build instructions.
  • Maps should contain exactly 24 hexes of start zone for each player (48 hexes total), clearly marked in the build instructions.
  • Stacking zero-height tiles atop each other is not allowed. (Not that you would want to waste them this way anyway. Not here. Every Shadow and Water tile is precious.)
  • Additionally: maps should be symmetrical. (Makes judging them easier.)
This is what he what he means by "within BoV guidelines", nyys. All you can use is a BftU.

I wasn't going to enter, but as soon as I saw that there was money on the line...

Old December 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Quote:
PARAMETERS:
  • Submissions must be in PDF format, and include build instructions.
  • Additionally: maps should be symmetrical. (Makes judging them easier.)
This is what he what he means by "within BoV guidelines", nyys. All you can use is a BftU.
Exactly. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Quote:
I wasn't going to enter, but as soon as I saw that there was money on the line...
Yay, unleash that cartographic awesome.

Last edited by Typhon2222; December 30th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wondered on Mombo's contest as well, though I was too late to mention it, but would anonymous submissions make sense for something like this? Have people PM you their PDFs and an unpolished virtualscape capture of the map (or you could build each map and take a picture) to use that as the display file for the judging?

Just a thought. *goes back to virtualscape*
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
I wondered on Mombo's contest as well, though I was too late to mention it, but would anonymous submissions make sense for something like this? Have people PM you their PDFs and an unpolished virtualscape capture of the map (or you could build each map and take a picture) to use that as the display file for the judging?

Just a thought. *goes back to virtualscape*
I second this.

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Hmm, interesting idea. I'm definitely sympathetic to the idea of keeping the maps anonymous for voting purposes.

But I'm wondering about the logistics of it. Is it possible to send PDFs and JPGs via PM?
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm, interesting idea. I'm definitely sympathetic to the idea of keeping the maps anonymous for voting purposes.

But I'm wondering about the logistics of it. Is it possible to send PDFs and JPGs via PM?
It is possible to send a JPG, as can be seen from Lamaclown's Holiday Custom Contests. I would assume it would be possible to send a PDF, since you are only sending the link to it.

Old December 30th, 2011, 02:58 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The 1x BftU Challenge (Map Creation Contest)

Why anonymous?

-insert signature here-
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Why anonymous?
So that early submissions by cartographic giants such as yourself don't scare off all others?

I'm still not sure how it would work though. Voters would still need to be able to see the build instructions before casting their votes; and as soon as they clicked on the link to the PDF, they would see who had created and uploaded it....

Last edited by Typhon2222; December 30th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

This should be very, very interesting... as well as right up my alley.
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

I am so giving this a try.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games