Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Carney's Custom Terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack188 View Post
I really need to get my hands on some resin to make fake water. It is resin right, I'm not being dumb? Oh, love the tree.
Yeah the epoxy resin I use is EnviroTex Lite, which you can get at any craft store.
I've been using Parks Super Glaze from Home depot (it seems most people use it for bar tops). It's $20 for a quart so i think it's a little cheaper than the hoppy store. I've been looking around for cheaper alternatives though as we are getting ready to bring several more items online (streams with rocks in them and of course 6 and 4 hex glaciers).
Also if your just doing water then there is some for Rail Road hobby stuff that come in solid crystals that all you do is heat and pour into your molds. I'm not sure what the yeild is though in comparison to the quart of resign though.

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Here are a couple of dok's Zombie Hulks rebased:

The bases are just a little sand & paint. I went over the blood spots on the bases with a brush-on gloss coat so the puddles are nice & shiney.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM

TheMind knows what's in an order marker TheMind knows what's in an order marker

Wow! Those look awesome! Terrifyingly awesome, in fact.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Using Filthy The Clown's GIE-LED modding tutorial I put together a pair of decent attempts of my own. His thread is located here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=35947

GIE-LED's with flash turned on:

And the GIE-LED's with flash off:

The one that looks blue in the photo is actually made with ultraviolet LED's. These two don't have the right batteries in them yet & I'll post a couple more photos after I get the slimmer batteries.

Carney's Trade List
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM

More pics of the LED modded GIE's...I already see I have a little rewiring to do...even with the slimmer batteries you need to bend the wires around the remaining plastic (if you didn't shave it all off...) As they are now they stand on their own but I know I can get them closer to flush with the board.

Here they are with camera flash on:

And here with the flash off:

And just for fun, here's what the UV GIE would look like with NINE more ultraviolet LED's (courtesy of my longwave UV flashlight):

Carney's Trade List
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Awesome!

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM

MageKnight Dungeon Wall Mods:

The owner of our FLGS gave me a box of these MK walls he had gathering dust & thought I could 'Scape-ify them.

The new bases are made from extra slats from some window blinds. I had to mark & drill each set of holes individually as the pegs were some odd distance apart that would've been impossible to just measure out. After drilling & cutting to lenght I cut the ends at 90 degree angles so the walls would touch & make "tight" corners.

After sanding the edges of the bases I painted them grey & then textured on some dark grey with a home made "napkin brush" instead of sponge. Some white drybrush around the edges & a matte clearcoat was all they needed to look pretty decent.

You can see that both classic & D2 bases work pretty well, the figures can make use of all of the hexes available in each room or hall. They don't look perfect, but the bases are thin enough that the figures don't tip over either.

I'll need to get some poster tacky tack clay to really make these bases work well. The extra length of the pegs that poke through the bottom of the bases was intended to help keep the walls from sliding around, but aren't enough on their own.

When I get some of the right tacky clay & build a real map I'll take some more photos, but for now that's all...

Carney's Trade List
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:29 AM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Carney's Custom Terrain (MK dungeon wall mod. 6/21)

The walls look great but the bases are throwing me off a little. I'm not too fond of the idea of them taking up a partial hex, or one that you're going to use at least. I'd try something like the base for the ruins from RotV, but they probably wouldn't stay up. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we used squares instead of hexes? Looking forward to some more pictures.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack188 View Post
The walls look great but the bases are throwing me off a little. I'm not too fond of the idea of them taking up a partial hex, or one that you're going to use at least. I'd try something like the base for the ruins from RotV, but they probably wouldn't stay up. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we used squares instead of hexes? Looking forward to some more pictures.
Yeah to make these or any thin wall work perfectly you would have to copy the RotV ruin's design. It can be done but you would have to make little butresses on either side between hexes to keep them from tipping over. This was the easiest solution, not the best.

Carney's Trade List
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Here are some better photos of the MageKnight dungeon walls. Using them is a little limited on tournament sized maps like my first attempt that you'll see below:

Carney's Trade List
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Re: Carney's Custom Terrain (MK dungeon walls 6/29)

Finally, more modding fun!

This is the Pegasus Hobbies: Gothic City Building Small Set #1 which I picked up at our FLGS. I split the set into two equal halves with the only difference being the gargoyles, bats & torches went on one building & lions, hounds & lanterns on the other.

After assembling these I gave them a coat of gray primer then one recieved a wash of white & the other a black wash. The white building was still dark enough for a heavy white drybush to bring out the detail (the black one also got a gentler drybrushing.)

The bases are 33 hexes each, with 26 of the hexes on each remaining open for any single-hex figure & many of the double-hex figures. If you align the buildings I made with this set just right the longer walls fit almost like RoTV ruins...it's the butresses that will always be a little off.

I made the bases from dungeon tiles with the intention of having them show through a little more than they did with the final results. I used the same gray primer but was careful to not get much at all around the edges.

Both base plates also got either a white or black wash, then black or white drybrush to bring the hex texture back out (hexes love the drybrush!)

After gluing the buildings to the bases I flocked around a bit with some sand & my small "rocks" you've seen in earlier customs. Once the sand flocking was dry I gave the flocked areas a wash of either white or black to help it blend in. I did a little additional wash staining here & there, some touch up on the drybrush & added the only color on these to the torches & lanterns. Don't forget the matte clearcoat...which took about a quarter of a can to do both of these...

I'll have some map photos with these in another day or two.

Carney's Trade List

Last edited by Carnival Man; September 12th, 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Carney's Custom Terrain (Gothic City mod. 9/12)

Oh my GOLLY Carney, these are gorgeous. Just stunning.

They should go on the home page. I'm going to suggest it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles