Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Thoughts and Improvements

Looking over the tiers somewhat more deeply, I think I'll put in some

First I'll label each tier based upon what I think @kolakaski; was going for.

Tier 1 was the Dragon Tier. It featured some of the most powerful and expensive units in the game. Since this mock only included official units, I understood using Moltenclaw as the last option, but I would have subbed out Moltenclaw for Major Q9 (range, and super high defense), Sujoah (the ability to deal extra damage, plus super high movement), or even as high as Jotun (gigantic attack). While these units are not Dragons, they fulfill the role of big expensive units. If this allowed customs, Quahon would be the best units for option 4, plus she's actually a Dragon .

Tier 2 was the Monster Tier. It featured some units who were a couple cuts below the Dragons, but many of the units were fairly strong monsters who's role was to put the hurting on other heroes, but from the Dragon Tier, the Monster Tier, and the Human Tier. I floated the idea of subbing out Kaemon for a Fen Hydra (a very potent and swingy multi-hitter), but you could also use Wo-Sa-Ga who would slot in nicely (Coil Crush had the ohko possiblity). A gambling player may even be happy with a Deathwalker (super high defense and range) or the Greater Ice Elemental (Ice Spikes give free damages, plus he regenerates).

Tier 3 was the Human Tier. It has strong, durable, punchy humanoids. I don't think Mogrimm was a good choice, since he belongs with stuff he bonds with. Kaemon Awa may have been a better option down here, though I could be swayed to think he would have been too strong for this tier thanks to his Quick Release. Classic Drake would actually be a pretty cool option to put in here, although I fear he would be too weak due to the meta being virtually all melee/SA's. Rhogar would be a good fit for this tier however, since his stats aren't crazy higher than the other Human Tier units, and his powers give him some room for value.

Tier 4 was the Squad Tier. Getting two squads of a mid-class squad is pretty reasonable, although I would have subbed out the Anubians (stats are too low to be relevant in this tier) and probably the Monks (same issue, low stats and not enough to use their nice multi attack against). I could see swapping in Deepwyrm Drow who are fun for gambling players and still get those extra damages against some of the Human Tier and Monster Tier. The Heavy Gruts are another lower stat option, with their draw being their 4th mini per turn and of course Disengage. I can see the draw of using the Samurai Archers (3 ranged attacks of 3 isn't the worst thing in the world), but subbing in two squads of Ashigaru Harquebus is an interesting option. 4 somewhat weak ranged attacks, with the 1 Defense drawback would make drafting a player's choice option instead of only a what's left option.

It was fun watching this thread!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 11th, 2018, 04:07 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 16 Card Mock Draft

Well met!

Welcome to the thread, ye lurkers! While we're waiting on wriggz . . .

What do you all feel about the Tier system. Is it necessary? Desirable?

Old May 11th, 2018, 04:22 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Thoughts and Improvements

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Looking over the tiers somewhat more deeply, I think I'll put in some

First I'll label each tier based upon what I think @kolakaski; was going for.

Tier 1 was the Dragon Tier. It featured some of the most powerful and expensive units in the game. Since this mock only included official units, I understood using Moltenclaw as the last option, but I would have subbed out Moltenclaw for Major Q9 (range, and super high defense), Sujoah (the ability to deal extra damage, plus super high movement), or even as high as Jotun (gigantic attack). While these units are not Dragons, they fulfill the role of big expensive units. If this allowed customs, Quahon would be the best units for option 4, plus she's actually a Dragon .

Tier 2 was the Monster Tier. It featured some units who were a couple cuts below the Dragons, but many of the units were fairly strong monsters who's role was to put the hurting on other heroes, but from the Dragon Tier, the Monster Tier, and the Human Tier. I floated the idea of subbing out Kaemon for a Fen Hydra (a very potent and swingy multi-hitter), but you could also use Wo-Sa-Ga who would slot in nicely (Coil Crush had the ohko possiblity). A gambling player may even be happy with a Deathwalker (super high defense and range) or the Greater Ice Elemental (Ice Spikes give free damages, plus he regenerates).

Tier 3 was the Human Tier. It has strong, durable, punchy humanoids. I don't think Mogrimm was a good choice, since he belongs with stuff he bonds with. Kaemon Awa may have been a better option down here, though I could be swayed to think he would have been too strong for this tier thanks to his Quick Release. Classic Drake would actually be a pretty cool option to put in here, although I fear he would be too weak due to the meta being virtually all melee/SA's. Rhogar would be a good fit for this tier however, since his stats aren't crazy higher than the other Human Tier units, and his powers give him some room for value.

Tier 4 was the Squad Tier. Getting two squads of a mid-class squad is pretty reasonable, although I would have subbed out the Anubians (stats are too low to be relevant in this tier) and probably the Monks (same issue, low stats and not enough to use their nice multi attack against). I could see swapping in Deepwyrm Drow who are fun for gambling players and still get those extra damages against some of the Human Tier and Monster Tier. The Heavy Gruts are another lower stat option, with their draw being their 4th mini per turn and of course Disengage. I can see the draw of using the Samurai Archers (3 ranged attacks of 3 isn't the worst thing in the world), but subbing in two squads of Ashigaru Harquebus is an interesting option. 4 somewhat weak ranged attacks, with the 1 Defense drawback would make drafting a player's choice option instead of only a what's left option.

It was fun watching this thread!

These Tiers were Valhalla Society units only. I wanted max acceptability, so I opted out of VC. I started a combined Classic/VC thread here.

Old May 11th, 2018, 07:15 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Big Blue

I figured you were keeping this draft official, kolakoski. That’s part of the reason I left C3V units out of my thoughts post. Well, mostly .

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!
Welcome to the thread, ye lurkers! While we're waiting on wriggz . . .
What do you all feel about the Tier system. Is it necessary? Desirable?
Sorry Missed your post, Thanks for giving me a chance. I decided to go with fewer big hitters and throw in some unique squads. There are a few counter drafts, a few special attacks (and powers weak to Special attacks, and even some synergy floating around too.

Tier 1
Cyprien Esenwein (T1)
Major Q10 (T1)
Sonlen (T1)
Moltenclaw (T1)
Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM) (T1)

Tier 2
Deathstalkers x 2 (T2)
Gorillianators x 2 (T2)
Quasatch Hunters x 2 (T2)
Shades of Bleakewoode x 2 (T2)
Marrden Hounds x 2 (T2)

Tier 3:
Agent Carr (T3)
Evar Scarcarver (T3)
Mika Connour (T3)
Sharwin Wildborn (T3)
Rhogar Dragonspine (T3)

Tier 4:
Airborne Elite (T4)
Ninjas of the Northern Wind (T4)
Tagawa Samurai (T4)
Nakita Agents (T4)
Iskra Esenwein + Rechets of Bogdan (T4)

Quick Reminder of the rules: Your army can only have one unit from each Tier, but you may choose from any Tier you have not chosen from on your turn. Each tier has 5 options for 4 players, so one option will be selected for team DUD.

Player 1: Kolakoski
Player 2: Dysol
Player 3: ItsBuzzi
Player 4: ?

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Last edited by wriggz; May 14th, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:06 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Can I play? I didn't want to just jump in and pick something in case you wanted to do a sign up type thing so I thought I'd ask.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
Can I play? I didn't want to just jump in and pick something in case you wanted to do a sign up type thing so I thought I'd ask.
I was going to suggest a first come first serve, with people locked in as player 1, player 2, etc. I think that creates more ownership (and invites comments from the peanut gallery),.

However this is @kolakoski game, so I will leave it to him.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Well met!

You snooze you lose

An interesting set, wriggz! I’ll save my explanations for later.

Player 1: Quasatch Hunters (Tier 2) kolakoski

Let it be as wriggz imagined. I am Player 1!

Old May 14th, 2018, 03:51 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Lock jaw

Lock me in as whichever player I'm supposed to be. Didn't pick yet because unsure if player 2 or 3.

~Dysole, with ideas
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Well met!

Just jump in and claim your spot.

Old May 14th, 2018, 03:55 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

I'm not sure which player I would be either. Player 2 I guess? Will wait for confirmation.

Edit: Was sniped. I'll be player 2 and I'll take the shades. Don't laugh. Please.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:59 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Three's a Crowd

Player 3 will take the airborne.

~Dysole, finding it funny how quickly squads are being taken

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion