Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM

D-OOSH is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Heroscape Dungeons and Dragons!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
It's not just the sculpts themselves. I'm not in love with the imperfect scale, the generally perceived slightly lower quality of the sculpts, or the slight "off" look they have aesthetically (they just look "darker" and more "mature" in general, as does the cover of the set. I'm seeing a decrease in that innocent camp I first fell in love with.)
While I can see the darker, grittier style in some of the new minis (the drow, obviously, although I think the wizard figure fits in just fine), you're not the first to mention the box art being darker and more "mature," which mystifies me. Maybe I'm just totally missing it, but I really don't see any tonal difference between this...

...and this:

I mean, are aliens with plasma guns and fire-breathing dragons all that more kid-friendly than fantasy heroes with swords fighting dark elves and a horned (non fire-breathing) dragon?
I'm not necessarily talking about the actual components featured. I have no problems with a cover featuring sword wielding warriors and dragons, etc.
But there's clearly a whole different style of art present in these two examples. The first is more cartoony, iconic, and full of brighter and more primary colors. The second has a higher degree of realism, includes a lot more shadows and shading, has an overall "grittier" and more "mature" look to it. In RotV I see the monsters but they look kind of silly and clownish only, perhaps due to the dark colors. In the DnD set, that black dragon looks downright demonic. In the DnD set, the humanoid figures look a lot more like humans actually fighting for their lives. In the RotV set, we have little green army men who look like they could've been pulled from Toy Story. I guess if you read that and aren't seeing a clear aesthetic difference, I'm out of ways to describe it ...
I feel like your looking for things to point out that are bad about the new Master Set.

Old August 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
In RotV I see the monsters but they look kind of silly and clownish only, perhaps due to the dark colors. In the DnD set, that black dragon looks downright demonic. In the DnD set, the humanoid figures look a lot more like humans actually fighting for their lives. In the RotV set, we have little green army men who look like they could've been pulled from Toy Story. I guess if you read that and aren't seeing a clear aesthetic difference, I'm out of ways to describe it ...
Hey, I painted the original RotV cover and those army men were supposed to look like they were in a desperate, life-or-death struggle with Mimring!

Seriously, I'll grant you that the Black Dragon looks pretty scary, but the three heroes who dominate the box look pretty bright colored to me, especially the priestess. I'll also point out that I've heard many members here say they were turned off of the original RotV set because of the scary looking Marro Warrior on the box, so my artistic skills weren't totally unappreciated.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Here is SOTM. And when I look at it IAB's way, the artwork does look different. Doesn't bother me one bit. Should it?

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally, I don't see the difference. The little dwarf guy looks just as cartoonish as the Marro.

I see these demonic eyes on the Marro that fit right in with the supposed darker theme.

The dragon isn't "silly and cartoonish" at all. The color palette is a bit lighter simply because he is breathing fire which is creating light.

Looking at the figures themselves (as you can't really see anything about the soldiers on the cover), the Airborne elite have a dark palette and are gritty and tough. In fact, some folks criticizing the new set have said that the D&D figures don't have the same gritty wash that they love in the HS figures.

Well, which is it? It can't be both.

I could go on but it doesn't do much good. I just think people have convinced themselves of something that just isn't there to be honest.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM

D-OOSH is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post

I could go on but it doesn't do much good. I just think people have convinced themselves of something that just isn't there to be honest.
Agreed! +rep

Old August 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-OOSH View Post
Quote:

Agreed!
I have to agree also!

I'm a F18, bro.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!

Oh, I have something to throw onto the plate.

Hmm....Lets look around. I see...a marro! Oh, and a human! And look at that elf! I wonder where they came from? OH yes! They came from different planets!

This Master set will be no different than the others. If you think about it, these poor saps have been summoned from their planet to fight a war with you guys controlling them. I feel sorry for them already. This is no different than getting marro or vampires. They are from a world, summoned by weird guys with wings, to fight a war they didn't even start!

This shouldn't be seen as something bad, but a new expansion to the Scape list of possibilities. And even if you don't like it, give it a chance, don't do something crazy. And if you really don't like it, just don't buy it!

I'm a F18, bro.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM

quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Yeah! I'm Here View Post
Oh, I have something to throw onto the plate.

Hmm....Lets look around. I see...a marro! Oh, and a human! And look at that elf! I wonder where they came from? OH yes! They came from different planets!

This Master set will be no different than the others. If you think about it, these poor saps have been summoned from their planet to fight a war with you guys controlling them. I feel sorry for them already. This is no different than getting marro or vampires. They are from a world, summoned by weird guys with wings, to fight a war they didn't even start!

This shouldn't be seen as something bad, but a new expansion to the Scape list of possibilities. And even if you don't like it, give it a chance, don't do something crazy. And if you really don't like it, just don't buy it!
It's not the character's source that's of concern, it's the sculpts themselves. Keep the characters but recast those sculpts with the HS look and feel, I'm 100% happy.

Traders! wk4c, Hilo-scaper, buttercup, omen20154, Nikkomon, Southwest Ninja, Mutt Lo, rudyvalentine, JRandall, neo0149, Generalgina, Gromazeka, CheddarLimbo, Mossman, Just_a_Bill, rouby44, Cavalier
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One more quick thing..I don't get where folks are saying that HS is about this campy touchy feely innocence that is somehow being destroyed by this expansion. I mean seriously, look at almost every one of the Utgar figures. They are some bad-a$$ looking dudes. The new Braves and Dwarves are both serious-looking. We have characters getting torched by acid breath and zombies looking to feed on flesh. Agent Carr looks like one fierce SOB with his big sword ready to lay the hurt on anyone. Look at Q9. He is as dark looking as you can get.

Don't get me wrong, I think these things are great, but it isn't Teletubbies or Carebears taking a stroll through the dewey meadow. If it was, I don't think the game would work.

It is a battle with the fiercest warriors of all-time. Yes, the mechanics are simple (the appeal of the game), but to say that the D&D line does not fit in that just leaves me speechless.

I mean, if you don't like the dungeon setting or don't like elves or heroic swordsmen or magicians, that is fine, but I wonder if people are being colored by the myth regarding D&D being about devil worship in the sewers.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
In the DnD set, that black dragon looks downright demonic.
I can see that, but I think the Marro on the box for RotV also looks pretty demonic.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM

quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I mean, if you don't like the dungeon setting or don't like elves or heroic swordsmen or magicians, that is fine, but I wonder if people are being colored by the myth regarding D&D being about devil worship in the sewers.
Or rampant addiction as made famous in the televised cautionary tale Mazes and Monsters starring Tom Hanks!

Traders! wk4c, Hilo-scaper, buttercup, omen20154, Nikkomon, Southwest Ninja, Mutt Lo, rudyvalentine, JRandall, neo0149, Generalgina, Gromazeka, CheddarLimbo, Mossman, Just_a_Bill, rouby44, Cavalier
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

I can see Heroscape D&D leading to a lot of new, fun stuff down the road. I would love to see treasure chests, gravestones, pillars, dungeon walls, etc. Not to mention the introduction of a lot of new figures. The more I think about D&D Heroscape, the more excited I get about Heroscape's future. Here's looking forward to Wave 20!

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News