Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

I have submitted my resignation as a BoV judge to the BoV panel. I think I am no longer being productive with this project, so holding the position means taking the place of a better judge. I wish I could do more for the project because it means a lot to me, but with workload and changes that may affect my life and my beloved ones' a great deal, I just can't.

Things here will have to be put in a hold for me at this moment. As you can see, I have not changed my brief card, nor my map thread to update with the new master set. In fact, I have not even had the set in hand, nor any new stuff. (Shameless plug: I am willing to trade my old stuff, including wave 4 and whatever you may want with wave 10 and D&D ). I hope I will be able to come back and start building maps again. I am sure there will be a more productive judge to replace me.

Thanks everyone for the support. I really appreciate the time I involved in this project. No one can take the BoV Judge tag from me, and that counts the most .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

Youve had a good run with the map community, LongHSer. Its sad that you cant stay as a judge.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Angear knows what's in an order marker Angear knows what's in an order marker

Its too bad you have to leave. You helped me a lot when I first joined although you probably don't remember. Thanks for helping this project.

My map thread is here new map 10/16/12
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Thanks for putting in your time, Long.

Being a judge is no glitz, no glam, and no glory; your service to the effort is greatly appreciated.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
I have submitted my resignation as a BoV judge to the BoV panel. I think I am no longer being productive with this project, so holding the position means taking the place of a better judge. I wish I could do more for the project because it means a lot to me, but with workload and changes that may affect my life and my beloved ones' a great deal, I just can't.

Things here will have to be put in a hold for me at this moment. As you can see, I have not changed my brief card, nor my map thread to update with the new master set. In fact, I have not even had the set in hand, nor any new stuff. (Shameless plug: I am willing to trade my old stuff, including wave 4 and whatever you may want with wave 10 and D&D ). I hope I will be able to come back and start building maps again. I am sure there will be a more productive judge to replace me.

Thanks everyone for the support. I really appreciate the time I involved in this project. No one can take the BoV Judge tag from me, and that counts the most .
Sorry to see you go. I hope you will still find the time to enjoy the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself spending more time creating your own maps now that you don't have to test everyone else's as much. If so, many of us here will be keeping an eye on your thread. There has been a Longheroscaper map at nearly every tournament I have attended in my brief time as a scape addict.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

LongHS, you've been a great judge and posted some of the best reviews on this site. You will be missed. Good luck on your non-HS endeavors and I look forward to gaming with you again in February.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old January 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
(Shameless plug: I am willing to trade my old stuff, including wave 4 and whatever you may want with wave 10 and D&D
You've done well, Long.

I will trade you a DnD set in return for a game, if you come to my house to play.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Thanks for putting in your time, Long.

Being a judge is no glitz, no glam, and no glory; your service to the effort is greatly appreciated.
QFT. The BoV is one of Heroscape's greatest resources. Thanks for putting your time in and making some of your own additions to the Halls.
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Thanks Long for being a part of this project!

Well, I finally got my computer back after it's been in and out of the shop for the past 2 months because of some nasty viruses. I can finally finish my judging on Healing Waters and Elswin Plateau hopefully this week and then get started on the rest.

Aslo I vote Yes to review Jungle of the Ancients by Angear.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Rift Valley by RoninValentina

Kudos to Ronin for finding a way to do a lot with so little (SotM is not the easiest set in the world to make a great map with).

The lava field hexes in the start zone does a great job of taking down some very strong armies a peg. Hoards of Stingers, Romans, and other slow moving squads are pretty much 'forced' to move from the lava hexes first or risk lava damage at the end of the round. The problem this creates is that it comes at the expense of the figures in the front, who could move further out into the map were it not for trying to save the figures in the back where the lava hexes sit.

Unfortunately this affects all slow moving melee units, and having to move the back row first is definitely a big hit to those without range.

Armies that do not fill the start zone will have a much easier go of it. Same goes with Hero heavy armies, as you can risk the lava damage (though not dismiss it outright) and have no fear of losing a figure.

To make up for the lava slow down I think the road would have been better placed if it went from SZ to SZ, as opposed to glyph to glyph. As is, the road does not help when moving across the board towards the opponents SZ.

The biggest issue I found on the map was when I played a lot of Rats. The small foot print allows them to get across very quickly, and in an army with 2+ squads they can trap many figures on the lava field spaces very quickly. In some cases figures can move off the lava field to lower ground and stay adjacent, but in an effort to stay alive (both from lava and disengage) these figures are usually forced to the lowest part of the map and are now primed to be picked off from enemy range.

This coupled with the slowing of melee figures that are played in a full 24-hex army I think makes for an unbalanced playing field when the cream of the crop ranged armies face off against almost any melee.

Fun map, but, I vote NO to induct into the BoV.

--

Swamp Helix by dok

This map has sat built in my basement for an eternity it seems. Unfortunately it has fallen victim to the same 'problem' Valdmont's Tomb had (as far as what I look for goes)... it just didn't draw me to play on it.

In the games I did play I didn't find anything overly unbalanced other than the placement of the wind/move glyphs. They're both equally distance from each SZ, but depending on which side your on, one is covered better than the other.

This becomes an issue when you may have the better cover for the wind glyph, but your opponent has no (or few) fliers, yet the move glyph is always good to control. This didn't bother me to the point of dismissing the map though, as the small footprint allows for contesting the glyph quickly, just maybe from a lesser position.

My biggest issue with this map was the 'fun factor.' Like others that I have voted against, it just didn't do it for me.

I appreciate all the versions that dok has cycled through to make this a better map (and I know this will not be taken personally), but I just didn't have fun on this one.

I vote NO to induct into the BoV.

-insert signature here-
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

With Long stepping down, we obviously have a new opening in the BoV. We have been discussing replacements for quite some time and welcome nominations from other members in the community. If you would like to nominate someone for a BoV judge, feel free to send me a PM and we will throw that person into our ongoing discussions.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old January 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Farewell form BoV, Longheroscaper. You were a great judge.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios