Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Before Heroscape

Great summary, Aeston! Like IMax, I'm a little hesitant about the Talisman connection but insofar as it marked Games Workshop's entry into boardgames I see your point.

One predecessor missing from this story is another Stephen Baker creation that was only released in Europe called Die Schlacht der Dinosaurier (Battle of the Dinosaurs).

Photo: Boardgamegeek.com

In this game armies of mounted dinosaurs duked it out for supremacy. The game used a Battlemasters-like card mechanic for unit activations and included oddly numbered dice for combat resolution. Lava balls thrown into a central volcano allowed for rerolls. The miniatures featured dinosaur-mounted warriors, reminiscent of HeroScape's own dinosaur-mounted orcs:

I think it's safe to assume that figures like Grimnak and Tornak were included in HeroScape as an homage to this earlier Stephen Baker creation. (Compare especially the red T-rex in the photos to Grimnak and the smaller green velociraptor to Tornak.)

Last edited by Elstree; April 20th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: formatting
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Slaader is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Oh those crazy Dinosaurier and their crazy luftballons.

Meine tante hat blaue augen!
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaader View Post
Oh those crazy Dinosaurier and their crazy luftballons.

Meine tante hat blaue augen!

I love that song, thanks for the laugh

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That game looks awesome! Now I have to add it to my list of games I want but will probably never own, alongside Space Hulk and the Heroquest expansions.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart

Very nice article!!!

Two years ago I sold two Heroquest expansions for about $700 bucks together. You should really think before you toss. There are many members here that would have gladly paid for your Heroquest parts.

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
The Chronicler

Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Before Heroscape *updated! 4/20*

Thanks to Elstree for that amazing information! That info and even more are now in the front page article for my first update!

6 RoTV, 3 SotM, 3 RttFF, 3 FotA, 3 VW, 3 TT, 3 TJ.
At least 3 of every common, 1 of every unique.

Aeston's Maps
Before Heroscape: The History that Lead to our Game
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:39 AM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

This is really cool stuff. Just a few comments:

1) I think the offical tips from the offical HeroScape site for using the MicroCorp Agents had a trivia blurb that confirmed that the name is an homage to Risk 2210 AD. These unit strategy tips seem to have been removed with the site upgrade.

2) I also believe that most people associate the quaterback in the bottom image with the Dumutef Guard.

3) Shame on you for not knowing about a European exclusive Dinosaur game! Just kidding. Thanks for the info Elstree, it was really quite fascinating.

4) I've heard of the past being revised before, but never updated. Neat trick!

5) Forget War Elephants- I want a War Bronto!
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:15 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeston
In 2001 they cooperated to release Risk 2210 under the Avalon Hill license, which was purchased by Wizards of the Coast (and subsequently Hasbro).
Just a minor correction: Hasbro acquired Avalon Hill first in 1998, then acquired WotC in 1999. However, the Avalon Hill brand was managed by Hasbro's East Longmeadow, MA shop until 2004, when it was finally moved under the WotC umbrella. Games released by Hasbro/AH before 2004 were under development by the east coast shop. This explains Rob and Craig's connection to some of the early Hasbro/AH releases like Risk 2210, Star Wars: Queen's Gambit, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I've written more on this subject here. (By the way, the chart in that post is by Shannon Applecline, whom I should have credited.)
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Wow. Great read and very interesting. Thank you.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Very cool research, Aeston, it's always great to see where things come from, and this has a cool tie in to:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=17665
there HSisforcoolkids talks about how HS reflects our times by blending different genres into one awesome package. Well worth a read. And this thread shows us exactly what genres the game designers were borrowing from. Rather cool, they obviously were thinking about what HSisforcoolkids is talking about.

I can hear them desinging it now...
"Which games should we borrow units from?"
"Why stop there? Let's raid them all!!!!"
(Especially since we designed most of them ourselves.)
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker

Wow, Aeston, WOW!

(Rep Up)

Please keep signatures short.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!

Great research!

Long, long ago, I brought up the similarity between various Samurai units with the old Milton Bradley Gamemaster Series game SHOGUN, later renamed SAMURAI SWORDS. In a later interview, Craig (I believe) affirmed that this was one of their inspirations. (EDIT: It was designer Wayne Yee at the Designer's Corner on the official site.)

For example, here's a BGG image of some of the Ashigaru, Samurai archers, and a flagbearer:

And here's a daimyo (compare with the coming Kato):

The only unit from SAMURAI SWORDS not represented in Heroscape thus far are the Ronin. hmmm....
(EDIT: Wayne Yee also mentioned that the last unit he would like to add is the Ronin...)

Last edited by Finrod; April 21st, 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: comments from official site

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion