Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old November 24th, 2007, 10:15 PM

SoldierLeadership has disabled reputation
Stinger Denial

I've been playing against the Marrow Stingers and I've been getting crushed nearly every time. Their 3/3 is solid for their point value and their option of 4/3 is great for hero killing. Their common status allows them to be rebirthed often which makes things really complicated for opponents. On top of these great attributes I'm wondering how many people are taking advantage of their sculpts?

2 of the 3 Stinger figures per squad has excellent sculpts to deny engagements. One of the stingers (the one with his right arm forward and left leg forward) stretches out pretty darn far. They can hang against good melee oriented armies with careful positioning. I've also noticed that they are good for warding off the g-trons.

I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just thought that I would mention...

Old November 24th, 2007, 10:19 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Nope, it's not just you (except in my case, I'm the person using the Stingers). It's these reasons why I love the Stingers. Their stats can kill anything. I frequently demolish everything when I play the Stingers. Let's not forget the 4/4 stats they have on height! Not only that, but they are the only ranged squad to have 3 base attack!
And welcome, Soldier Leadership! On behalf of Heroscapers I give you a Marro Handshackle!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Not only that, but they are the only ranged squad to have 3 base attack!
What about Krav Maga?
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:06 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I believe he meant common squad.

It seems the original poster is pointing out that the extended gun scuplts can be used as a way to deny engagement.

I have never embraced nor encountered this style of play. For instance, positioning Raelin's (ROTV) spear to prevent a player from moving a figure into that hex. Most people I play with do not use this type of tactic. I have payed in numerous tournaments and have yet to see this tactic.

I am not discounting it; I am just saying it doesn't come up much from what I have seen and the players I play with do not use this tactic.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Stinger Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLeadership
2 of the 3 Stinger figures per squad has excellent sculpts to deny engagements. One of the stingers (the one with his right arm forward and left leg forward) stretches out pretty darn far. They can hang against good melee oriented armies with careful positioning. I've also noticed that they are good for warding off the g-trons.
I never really thought of this except in terms of Huge figures like Nilfheim. Good observation! Deathreavers, however, probably don't have to worry.

Old November 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I believe he meant common squad.

It seems the original poster is pointing out that the extended gun scuplts can be used as a way to deny engagement.

I have never embraced nor encountered this style of play. For instance, positioning Raelin's (ROTV) spear to prevent a player from moving a figure into that hex. Most people I play with do not use this type of tactic. I have payed in numerous tournaments and have yet to see this tactic.

I am not discounting it; I am just saying it doesn't come up much from what I have seen and the players I play with do not use this tactic.
Yes, I did mean common squad. I typed that when I was supposed to be in bed, so I was tired.

Old November 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I don't think that a figure's gun extending into another hex is any basis for another figure not being able to enter that hex. Unless you can show me where in the rulebook it says that that is possible, I won't be playing that way.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I don't think that a figure's gun extending into another hex is any basis for another figure not being able to enter that hex. Unless you can show me where in the rulebook it says that that is possible, I won't be playing that way.

Jim
The rules state that a figure must be able to fit in a hex. If another figure next to the space has a projecting piece, that blocks the space, it cannot fit.

Old November 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you want to play that way, knock yourself out. If you try it on me, I'm going to 'accidentally' spill my beer on your shirt and while you're cleaning it up, I'm going to steal all your figures and put them through the garbage disposal.

I just finished testing this move-blocky thing. I haven't tried every figure I own, but I tried a bunch of them, and I can't get those stingers to block a hex so I can't move there unless I carefully place the figure so that it's not all the way on the hex. And if you're going to be retarded about placement rules, you have to use them all, including the one where your entire base has to be on the hex and can't extend into the cracks.

To play this cheesy, you have to really want to win, more than you want to enjoy the game. And if you want to win that bad, I'll let you. I'll walk away. But you'll have to find someone else to play with after that, because I won't play any games with you at all any more. Not Heroscape, not Battlelore, not even Chinese Checkers. You'll be hoping to draw me a tournament, because I won't even sit down across from you - you get a free win.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I tend to only use the placement rules nitpickily when moving double-spaced figures.

Edit Wednesday, Nov. 28:

If you want to play the way that Craig and Joe do, turn your figure slightly, and then play the game.

Between 6:30 and 7:00 into the video, the designer of the game and the winner of the most competitive heroscape event at that time show us how they would handle a similar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
If you want to play that way, knock yourself out. If you try it on me, I'm going to 'accidentally' spill my beer on your shirt and while you're cleaning it up, I'm going to steal all your figures and put them through the garbage disposal.

I just finished testing this move-blocky thing. I haven't tried every figure I own, but I tried a bunch of them, and I can't get those stingers to block a hex so I can't move there unless I carefully place the figure so that it's not all the way on the hex. And if you're going to be retarded about placement rules, you have to use them all, including the one where your entire base has to be on the hex and can't extend into the cracks.

To play this cheesy, you have to really want to win, more than you want to enjoy the game. And if you want to win that bad, I'll let you. I'll walk away. But you'll have to find someone else to play with after that, because I won't play any games with you at all any more. Not Heroscape, not Battlelore, not even Chinese Checkers. You'll be hoping to draw me a tournament, because I won't even sit down across from you - you get a free win.
I think you are waaaay over-reacting. You are also putting words in our mouths. I have never tried placing the Stingers that way, so it's possible the poster who said so earlier was just making assumptions without experimenting like you have - if we are wrong about the Stingers, so be it...but don't take the Stinger blocking a hex thing too literally. No one is saying that you should place the Stingers off-center on the hex.

I HAVE, on the other hand, seen the wings of Kyrie block other figures from spaces, WITHOUT placing them off-center.

Old November 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Also, IMax, I was never doing that. The poster was pretty overreacting to the sculpt - if anything, I've found more often that the sculpt stops the Stinger from standing certain places in the starting zone rather than doing anything helpful (ie. Against a wall).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles