Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 8th, 2022, 07:31 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

New Scape Being Discussed

So far TW and I think we'll buy the new set. SD says no, and K. has yet to weigh in on any discussion about it. I'm hoping they'll see a set with only the new product for us old hands who kept our collections. Heck, I could sell them old terrain! (Not that I'm selling anything).

I'm sure we'll discuss New Scape further on Wednesday, when we convene for KolakoskiScape! It will be my turn to run a game in September. Will the revival of Heroscape somehow affect the kind of game I bring to the table next month? Hmmm...that will probably depend mostly on what NewScape info is available when I'm designing the new custom scenario.

The discussion continues on at least two threads here: Megasilver's and to a lesser degree on the CVN Question thread, and on two BGG threads as well--Heroscape Is Back and The League of Extraordinary Heroscapers; both on the Heroscape: Rise of the Valkyrie[/I] Forum.

Today the new Avalon Hill Discord Channel will go live, and we'll get new info on the Scape Revival straight from the source for the first time and from now on!!!

Non Scape Activity Here At The Game Palace

Last Saturday, for the first time in over a month, we held a live game here. It was a 5 Player of Star Trek Ascendancy. I have preordered the two new expansions--Breen and The Dominion--and they should be here around the end of this month or later. Unexpectedly, the only first time player won on the last turn of an 8 hour marathon session, just in time for the person who had to leave first. Nice! Since we used to have gaming going on multiple times per week here, its good to get back into the groove.

Undaunted Stalingrad will be out soon also, probably in September. This fourth entry in the series will feature a much larger canvas and a branching replayable campaign of scenarios. Each side has a seperate scenario booklet filled with surprises along the way!

After some pals introduced me to the online platform Board Game Arena, (as opposed to previous sessions on Table Top Simulator) playing Great Western Trail, I've now played over 100 games of Memoir 44, newly in Beta form there. I'm not generally a Eurogamer, which is most of what they offer, but I'm interested that they have Blood Rage. I've also started a game of Space Empires 4X--with a great mate from Australia! The time differential is 10 hours. And like Phineas Fogg in Around the World In 80 Days, I've rediscovered the International Date Line--he's ten hours behind me on the clock, but a day ahead on the calendar date! Weird. This is my first online turn based game for low tech me.

I'm also playing a lot with a fellow retiree from Arizona (they're on Pacific Time, though they don't call it that), and now a number of other people have been put on my New Contacts From BGA list. Besides many fellow Yanks, I've played with gamers onsite from Argentine, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Macedonia, Peru, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK, and also seen people come and go from Russia, Taiwan, The Marshal Islands, and other exotic locales!

Last edited by chas; August 8th, 2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old August 9th, 2022, 06:41 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

HEROSCAPE: AGE OF ANNIHILATION--A FIRST DRAFT DRAFT

Eventually I'll be running one of our monthly games after AOA (aka NewScape) arrives. I'll buy it in one form or another, depending on how it is offered. How would I get those neat nine new minis we've seen in photos from their display case from Avalon Hill at GenCon 2020 onto the table?

Here are a few first ideas of mine. Feel free to comment and/or share some of your own thoughts...

How about something like this to get us started:

1. A Battlefield Map including any New terrain features and rules, or even full scenario rules. Don't forget that new Master Sets usually come with new scenarios, and Avalon Hill and some of our site buddies will be dreaming some up for us I'm sure.

2. A snake draft featuring only the New AOA Characters for a specific number of rounds, depending on how many new figures are available. Any odd number can perhaps be taken by the player with the fewest New Scape points chosen so far.

3. The remainder of our Army Point total with Old Scape, including all VC Customs but not Supers (for now).

Since AOA supposedly will be balanced and integrated into what we have already (aka OldScape), including the VC Customs we always use on our table, there should be room in our armies to use any synergies between Old and New in our armies. For example, the new Ape may be a Primadon that synergizes with the Gorrilanators we already have, possibly juicing them up a bit.

As usual, we'll be playing on a big map with all four of us, and a higher point total than often used in Tournament Scape, which we rarely play here in our Free For Alls and Team Games (see previous pages documenting the last 14 years, and Kolakoski's old Blogs).

Avalon Hill has now said they've got the entire first two years of product line development planned out! Since yesterday's rollout of the new Avalon Hill Discord Site was postponed until today (probably), I'll throw out a few first ideas while we still know nothing more than the minimal descriptions of the nine minis in the photos we've seen so far: what appear to be a Huge Dragon, a high tech Armored Ape, a Druid Sorceress, a Super Shark, a four armed four sword "Slicer and Dicer", a Ninja Woman (carrying more gear than any three characters from Naruto), that Dwarf Warrior, complete with a huge axe, the Swashbuckler Siren with sword, pistol, and cowboy hat), and that Gas Masked Beast (is the New AOA a harsh environment for the new faction of "Monster Hunters")? Of course, we don't know yet whether there will be even more figures, such as Squads, in that first Master Set, let alone what will follow in what its been said will be "days and weeks, rather than months and years."

Here in NYC, mechanically, we want to play to use both Old and New Scape for at least four players on one of our large to huge maps. We've tried many, many, many custom scenarios on my table from the creative visions of all four of us. But this will be the very first time we've provided for New Official Scape. On the other hand, we've been including all the VC (aka C3V and SOV) as the new Unofficial figures came out, and even sometimes mixing in Supers from C3G and independent and our own customs. So actually we're used to getting new product to the battlefield for a first use. Don't the most anticipated and carefully featured in a new Army get killed on their first combat? I remember one shotting the first appearance of The Varja with my often unusually lucky Bold of Witherwood... Oh, well...there's always next game, sometimes even later on during the same session!

I expect there will be more to say once that new site is up with more information on everything they couldn't say yet, from production and distribution to the backstory they are working hard on, including an extended timeline of what's been going on with the Old Generals and their relations with each other. Is Vydar still hanging with Utgar and Valkrill? Are Jandar, Ullar, Aquilla and Einar and still allied? One possible rule for a first play of AOA could be that armies must be chosen from these alliances in the same armies--Good Guys vs Bad Guys. That should prove no problem, since we've got more nicely filled out factions now for all of the Archkyrie Factions.

What have you thought about introducing the upcoming Age of Annihilation to your games?

Last edited by chas; August 10th, 2022 at 04:22 AM.
Old August 12th, 2022, 01:02 PM

We had three great games of KolakoskiScape. I was on the winning team only once, I don't think anyone was on the losing team all three times. With these scenario rules (see upthread), there were many fast game turnarounds, with favor swinging wildly from one side to the other. In one game I offered the enemy who was losing badly the option to surrender, but they persevered, and in fact won the game!

K. says he's got more teams made up to try the scenario, or some variation of it, again. I suggested more characters that are not so similar to each other, which he did for game balance of course.

I also thought it might be fun to change armies for the third game.
Old August 12th, 2022, 01:11 PM

ChasScape In September: Factions Fury

"See you in September
See you when the summer months are through"
--Oldie

After reading more daily revelations about the upcoming Heroscape 2.0 revival "Age of Annihilation," the signature new element (besides unpainted but tinted miniatures) will be some new types of Factions. So I'm thinking that, since we won't have either more specific info or the first new Master Set by then, it would be fun to put something into the new game as a homage to the new Scape. I have a few ideas, but I'll hold them until I get to develop them more fully, so watch for a future post.

ChasScaper
Old August 12th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
We had three great games of KolakoskiScape. I was on the winning team only once, I don't think anyone was on the losing team all three times. With these scenario rules (see upthread), there were many fast game turnarounds, with favor swinging wildly from one side to the other. In one game I offered the enemy who was losing badly the option to surrender, but they persevered, and in fact won the game!

K. says he's got more teams made up to try the scenario, or some variation of it, again. I suggested more characters that are not so similar to each other, which he did for game balance of course.

I also thought it might be fun to change armies for the third game.

Looking forward to hearing what team or teams did best.
Old August 12th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Ericth74 and Everyone,

Well, speaking for my team, Huntress was particularly valuable. I ran her early in her first game so she was adjacent to several enemies. With her nastiest version of Counterstrike every, they learned to fear her. And at fairly close range, her distance attacks were great too. Comic wise I am a big fan of Birds of Prey, both in the comics and in the little known TV series which was actually a prequel to Smallville and the rest of the arrow verse!

On the other hand, the Ronan card was confusing and difficult to take advantage of. I had all kinds of plans to put him bouncing around leaping to and from the center island, and it only happened one time. He took wounds very quickly too, which was just the dice. Comics wise I didn't know his story line (or that of his predecessor Ronan incarnation, but Sherman Davies, who used to work in a comic shop, brought me up to day. But I knew him from Avengers Endgame, which by coincidence I happened to watch the say before, and saw Clint in his ninja outfit!

The "Kitkat Sisters" were too similar to synergize together, but were individually fun. I wanted Katana, and ended up with Kitana, who turned out to be even more dangerous, due to her being the last leftover from the snake draft. Comics wise, I had read a bit of Kit's back story, since I don't know Mortal Kombat. Kit was just someone I'd enjoyed from an occasional appearance in the comic Birds of Prey (Almost all the DC women showed up there eventually).

Although this team was only in one victorious team game out of three, as usual in Heroscape the point count and victory itself don't often reflect the true action. And as I mentioned in a post above, the fortunes of war swung back and forth very drastically, given the similarity of all the 16 heroes K. put in his martial arts draft.

Other players may want to comment on their own teams ("armies") here as well, or K. might discuss them as well.

Last edited by chas; August 12th, 2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:01 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
In one game I offered the enemy who was losing badly the option to surrender, but they persevered, and in fact won the game!

Quote:
On the other hand, the Nomad card was confusing and difficult to take advantage of. I had all kinds of plans to put him bouncing around leaping to and from the center island, and it only happened one time. He took wounds very quickly too, which was just the dice. Comics wise I didn't know his story line (or that of his predecessor Nomad, but Sherman Davies, who used to work in a comic shop, brought me up to day. But I knew him from Avengers Endgame, which by coincidence I happened to watch the say before, and saw Clint in his ninja outfit!
You mean Ronin, not Nomad.
Old August 12th, 2022, 08:24 PM

Fixed!
Old August 14th, 2022, 11:28 AM

Here Draft 3 of the September ChasScape Scenario. Note that the Custom by Scytale for the Acquilla Flagbearer (we still don't have a VC one) is a dwarf.

FACTION FLAGS
A HEROSCAPE SCENARIO (Draft 3.0)
By Chas

The Flagbearers Used

The Flagbearers used are:
Classic: Hatamoto Taro (130, Einar) Laglor (110, Vydar) Acolarh (110, Ullar) Sir Gilbert (105, Jandar) Ornak (100, Utgar) C3V: Gothlok (130, Valkrill) Custom: Dorrond Greatstone (110, Acquilla; Scytale)
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...6_original.jpg

Faction Flagbearer Force Fields The Holy Banners of the Flagbearers are impregnated with magical Force Fields by their Archkyrie Generals. They cannot be moved by any other figure, friendly or enemy. They can only move normally under their own power, unless they are Captured (see below). They therefore cannot be teleported, flown, carried, thrown, chain grabbed, knocked back, or etc. They also cannot be mind controlled. Other types of powers will work on them normally.

Initial Draft Each player will draft one Flagbearer in an order randomly determined by the GM before building their armies.

Armies 600 Points/24 Hexes; at least half of those build points (rounded up) must be in the faction of the Flagbearer you choose. That Flagbearer costs no points; he is free! But remember to include him in your army hex count! He works as a regular figure for all purposes until he is Captured (see below).

Victory Goes to the individual player in a Free For All or a team in a Team Game. Victory goes to the first player/side who can defeat and “Capture” a Flagbearer, and escort him back to the Capturer's Start Zone (“Jailed”), or either friendly Start Zone in a Team Game. No other victory conditions apply.

Game Length A game lasts until a Flagbearer is Jailed. A game can be called if it becomes obvious that one side can do nothing to prevent the other side Jailing its Captive Flagbearer.

Flagbearer Capture, Freeing, and Jailing

Capturing A Flagbearer A defeated when taking its last Wound. Instead of being removed from the battlefield, he is considered “Captured.” He cannot take any action or use any Power for the rest of the game, except for regular movement after being freed, and cannot use special movement powers he might have originally had. A Captured Flagbearer is moved by any adjacent enemy figure to remain adjacent to his captor, up to the Flagbearer's movement rate, and must end on a hex where he could normally end his movement. The captive can be transferred to any other adjacent enemy figure as his captor if both enemy figures are adjacent to the captive at any point during movement. The Flagbearer cannot, as during the preCapture segment of the game, be moved by any other power or ability of another friendly or enemy figure. A Captive Flagbearer cannot receive or use an Order Marker—even if no enemy unit is adjacent—during the round after he is captured.

Freeing A Flagbearer A Captive Flagbearer is Freed by having its captor moved to nonadjacency,or when the only adjacent enemy is defeated and removed. In this case, the Flagbearer still retains the limitations of being captured, other than that he can now move normally under his own player's order markers. This change of condition takes place on the start of the next round after he is Freed, if no enemy figure is adjacent. Due to the nature of its rough imprisonment, it cannot Fly, Teleport, or use any other special power, Attack or Defend for the rest of the game. A Flagbearer, once it has been Captured at all, cannot leave adjacency from an enemy figure for the rest of the game, and cannot be moved other than by regular movement (such as a power of a friendly figure).

A Flagbearer, once it has been Captured even if later Freed, cannot be moved by anyone if he is adjacent to both friendly and enemy figure(s!) No Order Marker can be placed on such a figure by a friendly player.

Jailing A Flagbearer When an enemy captor brings a Flagbearer to his own Start Zone(s), the game immediately ends, and that captor playe/team wins the game!

Scenario Session It is suggested that one Free For All is followed by a Team Game. The teams are chosen randomly. Two different armies should be built by each player, using the same Flagbearer for both—one intended for each type of game.

FAQ Clarifications

The following were drawn up during the two 3 Player "practice games."\

1. A captured Flagbearer (FB) does not creat adjacency with other figures except for its captors.

2. A captured FB can be moved by its captor if no other players unit is adjacent to the captor, even if it is adjacent to the FB. (?)

3. If two captors unfriendly to each other are adjacent to an FB, the FB cannot be moved.

4. You only move your own FB by itself, not by another of your figures.

5. No FB is ever taken out of the game! Once captured, it takes no Lava or Falling Damage, etc.

6. If you capture an FB, your movement ends.

7. A freed FB is not considered to be "under your control" for power purposes.

Last edited by chas; September 27th, 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old August 14th, 2022, 11:31 AM

Factions Flag Scenario: Flagbearer Draft

The draft order was rolled up randomly, and by coincidence is pretty much the opposite of the draft for the last scenario we just played by Kolakoski.

Each player makes only one pick, which will determine to a partial degree the composition of his two armies, in this order:

Kolakoski, Sherman Davies, Chas, Taeblewalker

We will start the draft after some time for me to receive any scenario feedback from the gang and from any of you lurkers out there! I'll post any changes I make to the scenario as a result, and when we are ready to start, but players may start thinking about the armies they'd like to field. As per the scenario, Armies must have at least half of their build points (rounded up) in the faction of their Flagbearer. One army should be built for the first game, a Free For All, and the second for the second game, which will be a Team game--teams to be randomly determined later on.

Our tentative game date is September 14.
Old August 14th, 2022, 04:02 PM

Musings On The Flagbearers, And Their Use In The Upcoming Scenario

Its been many a moon since any of the Heroscape Flagbearers showed up on our monthly battlefields. As I recall, we tried them out when they were first published. The popular ones which continued to be used somewhat after their first few tries were Ornak, Laglor, and Sir Gilbert. Hatamoto Taro and Acolarh got put away--I recall some posters were fooling around with alternate HTs! When C3V came out with Gothlok much later, he was up there with the favored others, and was used here and there. Thanks to Sherman Davies of our gang, and formerly of C3V, for furnishing me with the proper mounted mini.

I printed out Scytale's custom dwarf Flagbearer for Aquilla, Dorrond Greatstone, as no Classic or Custom for her ever did come out. I still had the card and just put it in a protector for this scenario, but don't think we ever tried him out. He has good army powers! He won't fight much himself with his Attack value of 1, but that's okay; I hope someone fields him in the draft just to try him out. (I put the link to his card in the scenario, if you want to check him out). I have a whole proxy dwarf army, so I'll just proxy in one of their leaders for him.

As I mentioned, because the new Heroscape 2/0, Age of Annihilation, is changing up to some degree how Scape Factions will be used, I wanted to put something about our 7 Factions in this new game. Especially since C3V has done a lot to fill them out--most especially Valkrill, who had barely got started as the new Faction when the game went out of print. I'm sure others have experimented with using the Flagbearers, but I don't think we have, other than just using them normally.

So you're really getting a 700+ Point army in my new scenario Faction Flags, since you'll get the Flagbearer you draft for free! Half of your army must be from his faction, so that will guide who you choose, and your subsequent army build. Since we usually play two games per session, I've suggest first a Free For All and a Team Game, with different armies of that same faction if anyone can figure out what types of armies would work better for each format.

Without getting complicated, I've tried to provide some army building fun. And the Capture The Flag element should work as I've outlined it. The idea is to keep the armies on mission and keep the game from taking too long. How many figures will you allocate for attacking an enemy Flagbearer (FB), and how many to defending your own. How offensively will you use yours, given that most have to keep fairly close to the figures they are bonusing up; sometimes even adjacent to them?

If you spot anything I left out in the scenario discription, or any suggestions you have for it, there is still time for me to come out with a Draft 4.0 so let me know!

Last edited by chas; August 21st, 2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old August 16th, 2022, 11:20 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Looks good. Similar to a Princess capture game we played once. I’ll take Utgar.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion