Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Race for the presidency political discussion thread

[quote=SuperflyTNT;701226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Do gun rights include buying 13 handguns in a year's period? (unless you're an authorized gun dealer). (A)Sorry, but one handgun should suffice for your self-protection. (B)Loose gun laws in certain states make it easy for crimminals to get guns, they just need to find a guy with a clean record to go buy them and then tranfer them across state lines. Don't get me wrong, I like guns, I used to target and trap shoot a lot. I haven't done any shooting since '94 and am fine with it. I've lived in (C)diverse neighborhoods and used to work quite often in Gary, IN, (which has some serious crime rates and up there as murder captials) and have never carried a gun.

(D)I certainly have a problem with an honest person having some guns. The problem comes when those honest people are too stupid to safeguard their guns so that their children don't kill themselves by accident or one of their older kids doesn't take their parents gun to school and shoot up bullies. (E)Also, there are dishonest people that can buy guns legally (because they may not have a record yet) and sell them to crimminals. I suppose there is no way to have a "too stupid" test before selling a gun to a person, just like there isn't a "too stupid" test before people can breed.

Regarding the Obama is a terrorists best friend line, if you really believe that, then you should fail a test to get a gun.
Um...
A. Why does it matter if someone has 2 or 25 - you can only shoot 2 at a time. I have 5, and each has a purpose. I have a 45 for killing intruders. I have a .40 for killing intruders when my wrist hurts. I have a .380 for shooting paper targets. Mama has a .380 for shooting intruders because the .40 and .45 are too big. I have a .32 to put in the hand of an unarmed intruder, just in case. See, I need all of them!
B. True, but the vastly overwhelming source of weapons in the hands of felons is via theft.
C. Why don't you just say, "I've lived in black neighborhoods and used to work in Gary, which is an overwhelmingly crime-ridden black suburb of Chicago". It's less 'parse-y' and accurate - remember that a lot of people have no idea about Gary like you and I do
D. I don't understand - you used to shoot, owned guns and then you now have a problem with honest people owning guns?
E. Refer to "B", most guns that are in the hands of felons are from theft.

I agree that some people have no business having guns - that idiot who thinks wrapping it in an old shirt and putting it on a high shelf is asking for little Johnny to put a hollowpoint in his dome or in another kid's. The problem is that you can't identify the idiots and prohibit them from firearm ownership. It's like trying to pre-emtively disallow licensing to people who MAY IN THE FUTURE commit DUI and kill a small family while drunk.

Me, I have 3 seperate safes in my home and 2 of them have a combination lock that has at least 5 digits, the other has a key that sits inside of one of the combination locks. All 3 are bolted down to something (2 to a concrete slab and 1 to my nightstand). This is what people should need to do....anything else is really negligence and if people end up having weapons used in crimes or accidents then they need to go to prison.
Well Superfly, I messed up where you highlighted D. It was supposed to say that "I certainly don't have a problem with honest people owning guns." So I understand the confusion and it sounding contradictory. I used to shoot a lot in the country of western New York on my ex-mother in-law's property. I also used to mountain bike a lot on all the hills and trails out there but I don't do that any longer in the boring flatland of northwest Indiana. So as far as the lack of interest in shooting goes over the last several years, it's for reasons such as not having friends here that are into it, not wanting to spend the money on it as other things have taken priority and I guess I never had the passion that you and BL seem to have.

As far as people having many guns, I was coming from the angle of it not raising any eyebrows that someone would be in the same gun shop 13 times in a year's time to buy handguns. This happened and the guns had been bought "legally" but sold to gangbangers in Chicago. I'm just saying that it should have seemed odd to someone after the 5th or 6th gun in such a short time.

It's cool that you and BL have a passion for guns. You guys seem like truly responsible gun owners. However, I'd bet the majority of gun owners aren't as responsible and this often leads to someone getting killed because of their irresponsibility.

I'm going back to edit that one line in my previous post, as it was definitely in error on my part and doesn't represent my opinion.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Buddy, you're being silly, and more than a little over-sensitive. Aside from some really goofy attempts to associate Obama with Chairman Mao, the right-leaning views have been given as much respect as the left-leaning views, and all the views in-between. But a few statements are going to make people point and laugh, including:

1) Obama is a Muslim.
2) Obama is a terrorist.
3) McCain is an undead monster.
4) Speed 2 was a good movie.

There's no double standard. If someone says Palin sleeps with male hookers she picks up at street corners, I'll mock that, too, and so will anyone with a modicum of sense. Ridiculous, baseless, uninformed, ignorant statements like 'OBAMA IS A TERRORISTS BEST FRIEND' warrant mocking, and as much as it might ruffle your feathers, saying something stupid is likely to result in some much-deserved ridicule. Especially from me.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax View Post
Buddy, you're being silly, and more than a little over-sensitive. Aside from some really goofy attempts to associate Obama with Chairman Mao, the right-leaning views have been given as much respect as the left-leaning views, and all the views in-between. But a few statements are going to make people point and laugh, including:

1) Obama is a Muslim.
2) Obama is a terrorist.
3) McCain is an undead monster.
4) Speed 2 was a good movie.

There's no double standard. If someone says Palin sleeps with male hookers she picks up at street corners, I'll mock that, too, and so will anyone with a modicum of sense. Ridiculous, baseless, uninformed, ignorant statements like 'OBAMA IS A TERRORISTS BEST FRIEND' warrant mocking, and as much as it might ruffle your feathers, saying something stupid is likely to result in some much-deserved ridicule. Especially from me.
Fair enough. I can see your point. However, if I were to say:

Obama is a known associate of a radical American who at one point advocated for the violent overthrow of the United States. Also, do you know that this person even went as far as to implement plans that utilized explosives to attack police stations, military installations, and judges homes?

Would you then say that I was engaging in hyperbole, lying, making personal attacks, or presenting goofy accusations?

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker

Last edited by Buddy Lee; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM

STEALTHRULER is surprisingly tart

First of all, I never said he was a terrorist, yes I know you're talking about me. I said he was, and forgive me, I did edit this, a terrorists best friend. I didn't mean it litlerally, as in their buddies. What i meant was, because of Obama's views on the war in Iraq and so on, he is doing exactly what the terrorists want him to do. Withdraw. We're winning this war. I know quite a few soldiers in Iraq who actually want to stay. every single one is voting for McCain that I know. They also tell me that all of their squad mates, comrades (although I hate to sound Russian), etc are as well.

Also, could poeple please not refer to me as the annoying little kid who knows nothing? I have opinions and rights just like everyone else on this thread. I didn't say you had to agree with them. After all, I didn't say everyone here voting for Obama is dumb. I believe quite the opposite. I just don't follow their opinions.

About Obama beng Christian, even though he has stated that he is, I repectfully have trouble believing so.

He attended a rascist church for 20 years.
He said himself " I believe there are many paths to the same place"
But the Bible says in John 14:6 - “I am the way the truth and the life; NO MAN cometh unto the Father BUT BY ME.” — Jesus Christ The Father is in heaven. Actually everywhere. Omniprescence!
He is a friend of a radical American (THANKS BUDDY!)
He is Pro-Choice - The Bible teahces all life is sacred, and should not be destroyed.

Again, just my opinion.

My Customs My Maps
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

Last edited by STEALTHRULER; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
However, if I were to say:

Obama is a known associate of a radical American who at one point advocated for the violent overthrow of the United States. Also, do you know that this person even went as far as to implement plans that utilized explosives to attack police stations, military installations, and judges homes?

Would you then say that I was engaging in hyperbole, lying, making personal attacks, or presenting goofy accusations?

Buddy Lee
Nope, I would say that you're right, Obama knew Ayers. I don't know that Obama knew about Ayers' terrorist tendencies, and I certainly don't think they made bombs in the dude's basement and discussed how to overthrow The Man, but then, I don't care, because I'm not voting for him. I have lots of reasons outside questionable acquaintances for disliking Obama.

Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Man Genius

Ruler, your best bet to avoid saying things that make you look like a kook would be to avoid saying things altogether.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As Real Time with Bill Maher nicely pointed out:

Obama sits in the pews at a Christian church for 20 years and conservatives somehow have convinced themselves that he's a Muslim.

McCain didn't go to church, bad mouthed Evangelicals, and yet he somehow gets to wear the Jesus pin.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Politics is never logical.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post

Obama sits in the pews at a Christian church for 20 years and conservatives somehow have convinced themselves that he's a Muslim.

McCain didn't go to church, bad mouthed Evangelicals, and yet he somehow gets to wear the Jesus pin.
Heh, I also heard that Obama said that religion is just a crutch for the weak. I also heard McCain said something else not so nice.

...Well, I've given up trying to figure out their religious stances. Hehe...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHRULER View Post
Also, could poeple please not refer to me as the annoying little kid who knows nothing?
"You're not a person until you're in my phone book."
--Bill Hicks

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
They both sound bad to me, what's our third choice?
There's always using the Stargate to move to another planet and leave Earth behind us.
We're already doing that. No, it isn't in Cheyenne mountain. Its at McMurdo. Its way easier to hide there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Man Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post

Yeah, that's pretty good. I think my favorite 'Man, are people stupid' moment was when John Kerry got labeled as a hippie peacenik and Dubya got to be a tough cowboy. Since Kerry actually served, and got wounded, and Bush dodged active duty and still didn't show up to work, I never was able to figure out how anyone actually bought that garbage.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General