Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Exclamation MegaSilver's Half-Map Contest! NO More Entries Allowed!

MegaSilver’s Half-Map Contest

I had gotten the idea to for this contest when my brother and I were ready to play Heroscape and we couldn’t decide who would build the map. So we came up with the idea that we could both create the map at the same time by us building one side of the map each, then combining them. What we came up with was a very awesome battlefield, and we did the very same thing to several more battlefields.

I wanted to introduce this half-map idea to the Heroscapers community, and I thought the best way for it to gain attention would to run a contest.

Thanks to Lordraidor for allowing me to do this contest!

So, here it is, my Half-Map contest!

Entry Information
  1. Due Date: 11-15-09 (May Change)
  2. Winners: 2, one by me and one by poll.
  3. Prizes: $25 gift card to WGHs.com for both.
  4. 1 Entry Per Person
Submission Rules

1. Must be a VirtualScape, .pdf. file.
  2. Must have a VirtualScape picture somewhere, whether on your entry post or on the file itself, preferably both.
  3. On the download section page of your half-map, in the information section, you must have the following sentence in some form or another or it will not be entered:
This is a half-map. A half-map can only be use with another half-map. Both half-maps must be connected together at the designated connector zones, as close the center of the connector zones as possible, to be used. If the zones are not of the same side of the hex (corner or side of hex), then place them together as close a possible.

4. Your map must now be able to connect to one of the examples below, but not both. This is for simplicity only.
  1. Must have 3 zones on the half-map:
    • 400-600 point, 24-hex starting zone.
    • 1,000 point, 48-hex starting zone (use 24-hex starting zone in conjunction).
    • Connector Zone (must have at least two conjoined connector zones)
    • Make sure to label which color represents which zone.
Map Guidelines

1. Sets: What may be used:
1 RotV or 1 SotM
Combine at most three of the following, with only one of each used:
1 RttFF, 1 FotA, 1 TT, 1 VW, 1 TJ
  1. Connector Zones: At least two connector zones must be adjacent to each other. I would prefer you have enough to connect the entire side of the map together, instead of at a narrow point(s), that way your map is easier to play on, but if you can pull off a nice map with the restrictions, then it is fine with me. (To explain more, What I mean is each dot of the zone. You know the starting zones dots that show where each figures starts? Each spot is shown with a dot. Well, for the connector zones, you should have at least two of those dots adjacent to each other.)
  2. Partiality: I will admit right now that I am partial to maps that mix two terrain types together than those found in nature. For example, mixing lava, swamp, and snow together.
But I am not partial to castle-heavy maps. I don’t mind a few castle maps (I would actually like to see some), but if everyone has one I will most likely drone them all out. However, if you are using the castle set for reason (build a mountain, i.e., then I will be fine with several. The same could go to lava/snow/swamp mixes also, but I am not sure. Look at what everyone else has done, and try not to emulate too closely.
  • Design: I don’t care how it is designed, basically. It only has to look nice, and be fairly playable. There is not a restriction on the size of shape of the connector zones, so long most figures can move across them.
Contest Checklist

This is what I am going to be looking for on your half-maps and what you need to make sure you cover.
  1. Uniqueness: The stranger and more unique your half-map is, the more I’ll like it. Mixing sets will earn you more points. But be weary of others doing it, too. Normal-looking maps are fine, too, but I like seeing twist in map design.
  2. Using Appropriate Sets: Do not have more than one of each set. You don’t have to have to use one of each; in fact you don’t have to use any, other than a master set.
  3. Having All Three Zones: On your map you must have all three zones labeled and color coded.
  4. Have Sentence: On the download page you must have the following sentences in some form or anther:
This is a half-map. A half-map can only be use with another half-map. Both half-maps must be connected together at the designated connector zones, as close the center of the connector zones as possible, to be used. If the zones are not of the same side of the hex (corner or side of hex), then place them together as close a possible.

This is necessary so that someone will not try to use the map alone, since it wouldn’t function properly.

Once the contest is over, I will take all of the entrants’ maps and more them to The Half-Map Thread. There other half-maps can be created and added, and later on we can have a nice map thread! (maybe like the BoV and BoM threads?) We’ll have to wait and see. So, enter your half-map and let this contest begin!
If you have any questions or comments, post them here!

MegaSilver

Now, I present to you three examples!

Split Views, with a side-based connector zone. (Side of hexes point out.)

Goolosh Swamp, with corner-based connector zone. (Corner of hexes point out.)

Dandruff

I hope these help!

MegaSilver

EDIT: Here are the Entrants to the Contest:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by MegaSilver; November 17th, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM

FOOTBALLDUDE88 is surprisingly tart
Re: MegaSilver's Half-Map Contest! Entries by 11-15-09

This sounds like fun I'm in.
FBD88

VOTE FEN HYDRA IN
UBR 2011!! ALL HAIL
FEN HYDRA,
IMMORTAL FEN
HYDRA
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart
Re: NEW!!! MegaSilver's Half-Map Contest! Entries by 11-15-0

I think I will try this.
wouldn't some maps come out to be extremely unfair? It seems like one person would build a 30-story castle, and another would build the plains of flatness.
Also, how many entries per person?
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Piherculis knows what's in an order marker Piherculis knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
# Connector Zones: At least two connector zones must be adjacent to each other. I would prefer you have enough to connect the entire side of the map together, instead of at a narrow point(s), that way your map is easier to play on, but if you can pull off a nice map with the restrictions, then it is fine with me.
Can you show an example of this? It is confusing me. If you put two zones adjacent, wouldn't it be just one zone. Then you'd still need a second zone, which when you put it adjacent it becomes one zone again. Catch 22?

If money can't buy happiness. . . what are you saving it for?
my maps- my terrain - my figs
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy0715 View Post
I think I will try this.
wouldn't some maps come out to be extremely unfair? It seems like one person would build a 30-story castle, and another would build the plains of flatness.
Also, how many entries per person?
Sorry, 1 entry per person.

Well, those that build unfair ones will most likely not win. Do what you feel is fair.

MegaSilver
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piherculis View Post
Quote:
# Connector Zones: At least two connector zones must be adjacent to each other. I would prefer you have enough to connect the entire side of the map together, instead of at a narrow point(s), that way your map is easier to play on, but if you can pull off a nice map with the restrictions, then it is fine with me.
Can you show an example of this? It is confusing me. If you put two zones adjacent, wouldn't it be just one zone. Then you'd still need a second zone, which when you put it adjacent it becomes one zone again. Catch 22?
What I mean is each dot of the zone. You know the starting zones dots that show where each figures starts? Each spot is shown with a dot. Well, for the connector zones, you should have at least two of those dots adjacent to each other.

For example, say this is your starting zone, and each dot shows where to place your figures:

At the other end of your map, the connector zones can form a straight line:

Or, if you allow your map to have sections jut out, at least two have to be adjacent to each other so that a double-space figure can stand there:

___ _

Does that answer your question? Glad to have explained.

MegaSilver
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
  1. Prizes: $25 gift card to WGHs.com for both.
Can you post a link to their site?

Old September 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
  1. Prizes: $25 gift card to WGHs.com for both.
Can you post a link to their site?

Sorry, it's wargamersheadquarters.com.

MegaSilver
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

Im in. Sounds like a fun new way to play the game.
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As if I'd ever lose a chance at a map-making contest?

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

When I first started playing HeroScape, this was exactly how my friend Paul and I would play. I would take all my terrain to his house and we would each build a half a map.

It can be estremely unfair - but wicked fun at the same time. We would also play that that you could place your figures anywhere within your half of the map. We knew nothing about multiple commons or symmetric maps, and we each only had the RotV master set and one or two blister packs.

I remember building a perch for Syvarris out of the one hex pieces that was about 12 hexes high. I placed him there to start. Sniper indeed.

Kudos for the contest and the memories.

Good luck.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
When I first started playing HeroScape, this was exactly how my friend Paul and I would play. I would take all my terrain to his house and we would each build a half a map.

It can be estremely unfair - but wicked fun at the same time. We would also play that that you could place your figures anywhere within your half of the map. We knew nothing about multiple commons or symmetric maps, and we each only had the RotV master set and one or two blister packs.

I remember building a perch for Syvarris out of the one hex pieces that was about 12 hexes high. I placed him there to start. Sniper indeed.

Kudos for the contest and the memories.

Good luck.
Thanks. Glad to know someone else has played like that, too!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games