Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Gen Con Exclusive 2008 revealed by WotC

I was putting on quite a display in the game area...they could have handed out the flyers anyways.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Question Re: Gen Con Exclusive 2008 revealed by WotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Why is Skahen's card so dark. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But it doesn't really match earlier Vydar cards which were quite a bit lighter. Will the darker colors be the standard for Vydar cards from here on out?
The Book images look like scans (or at least extremely even light). In this breaking news report, the "darkness" is probably caused by on-camera flash bouncing straight back into the lens and causing an exposure that doesn't quite match up. Doesn't mean the card will look darker to the eye when (if) you have it side-by-side with an old one.
Well, yeah, the original image posted by wolfie had a flash on it but I'm talking about Truth's PDF that I downloaded and printed. It's richly darkly colorful, unlike any other Vydar cards I've seen to date...it's almost...hypnotic...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Why is Skahen's card so dark. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But it doesn't really match earlier Vydar cards which were quite a bit lighter. Will the darker colors be the standard for Vydar cards from here on out?
The Book images look like scans (or at least extremely even light). In this breaking news report, the "darkness" is probably caused by on-camera flash bouncing straight back into the lens and causing an exposure that doesn't quite match up. Doesn't mean the card will look darker to the eye when (if) you have it side-by-side with an old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
The problem is that, based on reports, more of these went (in multiplicity) in to the hands of dealers/vendors/exhibitors than to gamers. These people got them because they know the price they will fetch on eBay.
Well I like the sound of that. From where I sit, which is not at Gen Con, the more exclusives that make it to eBay, the better. I hope lots of non-'scapers got their hands on piles and piles of Skahens they have no use for. If WotC carefully meters out the exclusives to Heroscapers only, they'll be scarce on eBay, therefore outrageously expensive. If lots of non-players get them and scalp them, they'll be plentiful, and therefore somewhat less outrageously expensive.
Well, I know some on this site that are happy some of "regular players" got extras. I have given some to friends who couldn't go and my son has sold his extra on the site at a price considerably less than the Epay price (looks like the going price on Epay is between $50 and $75 -- he sold his for $33 each to help cover his costs of going and to pocket a little. He is 15 and saving up to buy a car next year).

Given the choice in distribution methods for those who couldn't go to Gencon between:
  1. Trying to buy from Ebay from a "speculator" who hoarded as many as possible
  2. Trusting Truth and Grungebob to get as many out as possible to regular players through the site and other means.

I would definitely choose the second. Remember every one of the Agents a vendor took (or multiple they took), is one less that could be awarded as prizes on the site (remember the Woo give away?).
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Quote:
From where I sit, which is not at Gen Con, the more exclusives that make it to eBay, the better. I hope lots of non-'scapers got their hands on piles and piles of Skahens they have no use for. If WotC carefully meters out the exclusives to Heroscapers only, they'll be scarce on eBay, therefore outrageously expensive. If lots of non-players get them and scalp them, they'll be plentiful, and therefore somewhat less outrageously expensive.
Well, I know some on this site that are happy some of "regular players" got extras. I have given some to friends who couldn't go and my son has sold his extra on the site at a price considerably less than the Epay price (looks like the going price on Epay is between $50 and $75 -- he sold his for $33 each to help cover his costs of going and to pocket a little. He is 15 and saving up to buy a car next year).

Given the choice in distribution methods for those who couldn't go to Gencon between:
  2. Trusting Truth and Grungebob to get as many out as possible to regular players through the site and other means.
I would definitely choose the second. Remember every one of the Agents a vendor took (or multiple they took), is one less that could be awarded as prizes on the site (remember the Woo give away?).
Well, yeah, given a choice between getting one for free and paying eBay prices, I'd like a free figure! But given a choice between lower eBay prices and more giveaways, I'd certainly rather not play the lottery. (In actuality, I'm buying one directly from Lord_Paul this year-- Skahen is the first exclusive that looks like it would see much play at my table).
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
The problem is that, based on reports, more of these went (in multiplicity) in to the hands of dealers/vendors/exhibitors than to gamers. These people got them because they know the price they will fetch on eBay.
Well I like the sound of that. From where I sit, which is not at Gen Con, the more exclusives that make it to eBay, the better. I hope lots of non-'scapers got their hands on piles and piles of Skahens they have no use for. If WotC carefully meters out the exclusives to Heroscapers only, they'll be scarce on eBay, therefore outrageously expensive. If lots of non-players get them and scalp them, they'll be plentiful, and therefore somewhat less outrageously expensive.

And you know what Retlaw? I don't mind paying for my exclusive when I know it is going to a good cause [It wasn't too long ago I was scrounging for cash for my first car] and I am more than happy to help.

DWARVES!
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
RobertDD, I would suggest that if you had seen (or received) the personal disregard, disrespect, and general dismissal that was handed out to HeroScape volunteers and their efforts by the WotC people at GenCon (not representative of the whole subdivision, I hope and trust), you would have a better understanding of some of the feelings being expressed here. The subdivision may well be supporting HeroScape at the appropriate level given their business model; the personnel at GenCon were not. Of course, that is just my personal observation; yours might have been different.
That is an extremely sad review of GenCon, Rev. Add that to the fact I know you are actually pretty mild in your opinions usually I am not getting the warm and fuzzies at all.

Note: I wasn't at GenCon so I do not have any personal experience with the disregard, disrespect, and general dismissal that was handed out to you guys that were there (and anyone with an extra Skahen: PM me! ).

I will still refuse to doomthink though. I have been impressed with WotC on this site, and the way they've been listening to the fans, and most of what I've seen for efforts coming from the subdivision. I really hope that trickles through to other parts of the company.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't think it's doomspeak, so much as it's that people aren't going to make any excuses for WotC. I was very unhappy with what they did at GenCon, but I don't think it spells the end of HS. What I do think is that it's poor judgement and a very real slight.

And as to what they've done here on the site: I've got no complaints about it, but it's still just talk. I'm waiting for them to release something completely on their own. CVN was saying that when he handed over the game he'd already thought it out through three years. Until they can make good on the "every three or four months" release schedule I'll continue being heavily skeptical.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
I will still refuse to doomthink though. I have been impressed with WotC on this site, and the way they've been listening to the fans, and most of what I've seen for efforts coming from the subdivision. I really hope that trickles through to other parts of the company.
I agree with you, RobertDD. I think the general efforts of WotC will benefit the game and I think the excellent job that Grungebob, theGuru, R˙chean, and truth did with the HeroScape events (and all the other volunteers and players) will send a strong and positive message to WotC about the fan-base of the game. Attitudes toward HeroScape seemed to improve somewhat as the days went on.
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I am very happy to hear about the Skahen support and DCI sanctioning for HS--that seems like a small but meaningful step closer to WotC center.

A BIG thank you to everyone that worked so hard at GenCon--especially to turn around our relation with HS. It would have been easy to respond to them in kind, but from what I have heard you instead chose to make things better--and it appears to be working <fingers crossed>.

Like Wind says, though, until we see some kind of regular committed production, it seems prudent to be cautiously optimistic at best--and to keep doing everything we can to get HS on WotC's map (keep talking to local stores, organize--or go to--a NHSD, etc.).
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

/sign

Old August 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
A BIG thank you to everyone that worked so hard at GenCon--especially to turn around our relation with HS. It would have been easy to respond to them in kind, but from what I have heard you instead chose to make things better
I think I can say, without exception, that the HeroScaper community responded well, courteously, and with good humor to everyone they had to deal with. (Even I was polite!)
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
A BIG thank you to everyone that worked so hard at GenCon--especially to turn around our relation with HS. It would have been easy to respond to them in kind, but from what I have heard you instead chose to make things better
I think I can say, without exception, that the HeroScaper community responded well, courteously, and with good humor to everyone they had to deal with. (Even I was polite!)
I was not so polite when having to deal with the gimme people. Here's how it would go:

Twit:Hi, are you the guy in charge of Heroscape?

That's me.

Twit:I am looking for the promotional figure

Try the WOTC booth in the dealer exibit hall

Twit: I did, they ran out. They told me that I could get onr from you.

Well sure! Are you signed up for any events? Because we give one out for each event participant.

Twit: No, I am just here for one day.

Well we got events happening all day

Twit: How long do they take?

An hour to 3 hours

Twit: That wouldn't leave me any time to check out the dealer hall.

It's all about choices, let us know if you change your mind.

Twit:Well i was told I could get a free promo from you.

Yes and as I mentioned it require participation

Twit:But I don't have time for that

I'm sorry

Twit: I travelled four hours just to get a promo

Really? Well I told you what you needed to know to get one, and left the choice up to you.

Twit: And I told you why I couldn't make that choice

Yet you claim you came all this way for just for Heroscape? Let me make this as clear as I can for your sake since I don't seem to be getting through. I am not going to give you one. I am not in the business of giving out freebies. I am in the business of running events, and the promos I have are reserved for those who are supporting our efforts through participation.

Twit: Well your doing a lousy job

Take it up with management.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News