Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Ninja Dust

Re: The Book of Sonlen

The last game I played with Sonlen I killed Fen Hydra and Syvarris. It was a pretty good game.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistofDoom View Post
Sonlen is never a waste of an order marker in my opinion. He is one of my favorite heroes (if not my favorite) and can heal, swoop for a wound/kill, and then attack with 6 range and 4 attack. He sticks around a while too. However, it is hard to find an army where he can really fit in. He is too pricy to be a real filler but if you can make an army with him, do it.
True... to expensive to put in as a minor component of an army, but not powerful enough to base an entire army around, like Q9.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've always found Sonlen to be more or less "fake filler". Basically, you still have a whole bunch of points left, and you already have a good army base(or the army base you are trying to achieve). Drafting him won't hurt your army any, and it's quite possible that he won't mind taking out his unvaluable rage on his foes. Most not so swarmy armies are affected by the "I have too many points for my team" syndrome. You add Sonlen because he can be effective with all armies, not because he is effective himself.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:52 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I've always found Sonlen to be more or less "fake filler". Basically, you still have a whole bunch of points left, and you already have a good army base(or the army base you are trying to achieve). Drafting him won't hurt your army any, and it's quite possible that he won't mind taking out his unvaluable rage on his foes. Most not so swarmy armies are affected by the "I have too many points for my team" syndrome. You add Sonlen because he can be effective with all armies, not because he is effective himself.
Pretty much agree, just make sure there are other heroes in the army to maximize Sonlen's healing skill.

If you guys play RPG style wherein you draft a small number of heroes, Sonlen and Rhogar makes a pretty good match.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:44 AM

Lucky is surprisingly tart
Wink Re: The Book of Sonlen

Sonlen is one of the better characters in this game. Him matched up with the right army is almost unstopable. There are always the situations where your roll just isn't up to par but this is one of the only characters that can be alone on the board with multiple foes and actually be able win the game. The mistake most people make when building an army with him is they look at him as a healer. Granted he does have the ability to heal but he is by no means a primary healer. So if you pick an army that needs a healer then make sure to put another healer in the mix.

If you wanted to go with a themed army you would have to go with a high point army

160 Sonlen
110 Dragonspine
140 Othkurrik the Black Dragon
170 Moltenclaw
If you wanted you could take Dragonspine out and put in Kelda, the Black Wyrmling I was just trying to go with all themed. You can actually get another healer in a smaller army if you don't worry about a themed army.

160 Sonlen
80 Kelda
120 Kaemon Awa
140 Eltahale
This is a good army but I think Sonlen does better with an army that doesn't need a healer.

160 Sonlen
140 Master of the Hunt
60 Izuma Samuri
120 Mr. Creel
20 Ononashi/Isamu

He is not just a devastating opponent, he is the bait; hence the name Master of the Hunt.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:39 AM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

I just haven't used him because of his cause. My wife has twice and he was a pain to kill one of those times. 160 points though? I'll have to try him out since he has so many fans.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jon View Post
I just haven't used him because of his cause.
I assume his "cause" is to defend the weak, punish the wicked and destroy evil. What's wrong with that?

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jon View Post
I just haven't used him because of his cause.
I assume his "cause" is to defend the weak, punish the wicked and destroy evil. What's wrong with that?
Well met!

I think you give him too much credit. His "cause" is that of whoever pays his "cost." (I also wouldn't lend him anything, as he has no visible means of support.)
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

You should use him just 'cause.

He's actually one of my favorite figures in the game; utilizing all three powers on one order marker is part of it. Being able to place wounds that bypass defense is another big part of it. As noted already, we just seems to work well with so many builds.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've been pretty underwhelmed with Sonlen, too.

You have to remember that he was slated to be the 9th Elf Wizard, but when they saw how powerful he was with the elves he became an archmage. His 160 point cost may more accurately reflect his cost as a "Wizard" than his cost as is.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
I've been pretty underwhelmed with Sonlen, too.

You have to remember that he was slated to be the 9th Elf Wizard, but when they saw how powerful he was with the elves he became an archmage. His 160 point cost may more accurately reflect his cost as a "Wizard" than his cost as is.

Your argument is that the designers tested him both as a wizard and an archmage and then decided to make him an archmage but price him as a wizard? That does not seem likely.
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

I'm sorry. I don't know what happened besides that I must have not proofread my post. "Cause" is supposed to be "cost".

there are so many strong guys at 120 points its hard for me to justify the extra 40 points. He can heal himself though.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units