Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Blockbuster Bu-Bye

It is the end of an era
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...rotection.html

Quote:
Blockbuster Inc., the world’s biggest movie-rental company, filed for bankruptcy after failing to adapt its storefront model to online technology pioneered by rivals such as Netflix Inc.
It is sad but the days of rental stores are ending.

More time and money to play Heroscape

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blockbuster Bu-Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
It is the end of an era
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...rotection.html

Quote:
Blockbuster Inc., the world’s biggest movie-rental company, filed for bankruptcy after failing to adapt its storefront model to online technology pioneered by rivals such as Netflix Inc.
It is sad but the days of rental stores are ending.

More time and money to play Heroscape
Not really sad - they absolutely refused to adapt to the modern world. What blockbuster, I can watch movies on-demand if I buy your special player. No way, thank you.

What, you're going to play the mail order game, only about a year after Netflix? again sorry.

What, you want to charge an arm and a leg for me to rent video games, when I can pretty much do the same for cheaper with Gamefly? Sorry.

What, only 2 years after Redbox pops up, you think you can play the 1$ rental game.

Blockbuster has been dying for years because they not only refused to innovate and join the internet age (instead being dragged kicking and screaming), but they decided taking a year or 2 to "adapt". You can't survive with a business model like that.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Never a blockbuster guy though local rental stores were a pain.

Over priced and only able to rent for one day?

Hey! What do you mean I have a late charge? I already payed that off!

Yeah, buh bye.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
Again, speaking as the 13+ year employee... Yeah, that doesn't happen (short of major computer crashes).

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
Again, speaking as the 13+ year employee... Yeah, that doesn't happen (short of major computer crashes).
Should have clarified the fact this was not a blockbuster incident but a local gaf-tastic rental joint.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

Dragonmaster384 is surprisingly tart

Yep, Blockbuster was overwhelmed by competition on every front that simply did what Blockbuster wanted to do, but better. And more importantly, first. I haven't used Blockbuster for anything in probably 5 years or more, and I won't be bothered in the least if they disappear completely.

8 RotV, 2 MTCB, 4 SotM, 2 BftU, 5 RttFF, 4 VW, 3 TT, 9 FotA, 3 TJ, 2+ of each Unique, 3+ of each Common/Uncommon
Want to count your 'scape?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=32267
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I always hated Blockbuster. I don't know about you guys, but I *love* movies, and I expected the movie rental guy to know something more than when The Last Emperor will be out on VHS.

Blockbuster killed the local mom & pop video rental businesses, and those were the ones that had employees who actually knew something about movies. "Liked Rumble in the Bronx? Try Drunken Master, you'll love it." Those guys couldn't compete with brightly lit Blockbusters and their 15 copies of Toy Story 2.

No sympathy or melancholy from me, sorry.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
I always hated Blockbuster. I don't know about you guys, but I *love* movies, and I expected the movie rental guy to know something more than when The Last Emperor will be out on VHS.

Blockbuster killed the local mom & pop video rental businesses, and those were the ones that had employees who actually knew something about movies. "Liked Rumble in the Bronx? Try Drunken Master, you'll love it." Those guys couldn't compete with brightly lit Blockbusters and their 15 copies of Toy Story 2.

No sympathy or melancholy from me, sorry.
I never really liked them either, not because the workers did not know much about movies (I don't either). What I did not like was the kind of commodity model they used. they would carry 100 copies of the latest release but at the expense of having a really wide selection. The public wanted to see the latest stuff so they provided it.

I like to watch more obscure stuff, there was just not room on the shelf at Blockbuster. I always rented from a local mom and po place living in Minneapolis. they had good prices and good selection so it could be done, you just might have to wait a few weeks for the latest shoot em up. that is probably not so bad, it gave time to find something else you might not have heard of.

This is one reason I really like Netflix. I can think up ANY movie and ask for it and it is there in a couple of days. The selection is unsurpassed. Many I can even watch instantly on the XBOX.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

Now the real question is: how will they go down?
Will the stores simply empty out overnight, or will they go "closing soon" for days. Or, IMO best for us, major closing sale! That usually means insane discounts. To prove chain stores can go nuts, consider this. At a nearby closing Pepperidge Farms Outlet, their Milano cookies (you know the tiny $4 packs) sold for half off-half off and buy 4 get for free. With $20 we filled the car...

So will Blockbusters have a sale? I hope so, I don't mind paying ridiculous prices in the opposite sense of what it used to be.

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysto2002 View Post
Now the real question is: how will they go down?
Will the stores simply empty out overnight, or will they go "closing soon" for days. Or, IMO best for us, major closing sale! That usually means insane discounts. To prove chain stores can go nuts, consider this. At a nearby closing Pepperidge Farms Outlet, their Milano cookies (you know the tiny $4 packs) sold for half off-half off and buy 4 get for free. With $20 we filled the car...

So will Blockbusters have a sale? I hope so, I don't mind paying ridiculous prices in the opposite sense of what it used to be.
This is not the end for them. Again it is the good kind of bankruptcy. It will give them a free pass to pay of their employees instead of their creditors and they can sell resources left and right. I foresee some of the stores going out of business. There will be huge sales and I see some other company (Netflix, Blockbuster, Redbox) making a bid on all of their inventory of rentals. Their stuff for purchase will be on sale quickly to the general public (they need cash fast). They will close stores until they are profitable again, and then they will stop. While they are picking up the pieces, Netflix will just get better and better. Things will be OK for a while, but it will happen again unless they change.

The other stronger and smarter companies will keep nibbling at them until they are gone.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

The writing was on the wall as soon as Netflix hit the scene several years ago. Sorry about all the folks who are going to lose their job over this, but Blockbuster just never could seem to do anything right, they did it to themselves.

-insert signature here-
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

As a part-time employee of Blockbuster for the last 13 or so years, I can say that not all of them are as bad as people think.

Also, this is the good kind of bankrupcy (Chapter 11 - reorganizing to pay people) rather than the bad kind (Chapter 7 - liquidating to go out of business). K-Mart, Delta Airlines, and a huge list of other big businesses that are still around and thriving have done this same thing.

While I may not agree with some of the things that BB does, it isn't all thatit is made out to be.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General