Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Marro Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpucblek View Post
That's my question too. If water is fully surrounded on all sides by land, can you put him on the land?

We have been putting the newly cloned Marro Warrior on the land (even though it's not "same level"). But we were wondering if that actually would be an illegal clone.

Maybe it's best just to say you can't clone at all then. But I'd rather that NOT be the rule. Other thoughts?
That is an illegal clone.

But keep in mind if there is 1 level of land, and then a water tile on top of it, that space is considered to be level 1 (since water adds no height). You may from there clone on to adjacent land tiles (even though the character on the water tile is 1/8" higher than the other character, they are still on the same level.

Please keep signatures short.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito View Post
Quote:
That's my question too. If water is fully surrounded on all sides by land, can you put him on the land?

We have been putting the newly cloned Marro Warrior on the land (even though it's not "same level"). But we were wondering if that actually would be an illegal clone.

Maybe it's best just to say you can't clone at all then. But I'd rather that NOT be the rule. Other thoughts?

But keep in mind if there is 1 level of land, and then a water tile on top of it, that space is considered to be level 1 (since water adds no height). You may from there clone on to adjacent land tiles (even though the character on the water tile is 1/8" higher than the other character, they are still on the same level.
Now this right here kind of answers my question. We had a game last night where the water tile was sitting on the land - all at level 1. I know it's all same level, but my question is this: Since the Marro, standing on the water tile, rolls for clone, does he get the water bonus for Cloning (meaning he only needs a 10 or higher on a d20)? I would assume so, but since the newly placed Marro will have to be placed on a land tile, I wasn't quite sure.

Part of me thinks if you Clone in water, then the newly placed Marro goes in water, but, of course, that's not what the card says. It may have just been one of those things that I've just assumed all along.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito View Post
Quote:

Now this right here kind of answers my question. We had a game last night where the water tile was sitting on the land - all at level 1. I know it's all same level, but my question is this: Since the Marro, standing on the water tile, rolls for clone, does he get the water bonus for Cloning (meaning he only needs a 10 or higher on a d20)? I would assume so, but since the newly placed Marro will have to be placed on a land tile, I wasn't quite sure.

Part of me thinks if you Clone in water, then the newly placed Marro goes in water, but, of course, that's not what the card says. It may have just been one of those things that I've just assumed all along.
Yes, you get the water bonus. You go by the terrain that the Marro on the battlefield is on, not the terrain that the newly cloned might be placed on. It is the one on the battlefield that is cloning, after all.

Most of the time when you clone in water, the new clone is placed in water because another water space is the only space that is the same level.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

I tried looking for the question but coudn't find it. Can you water clone in swamp water?
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav11111 View Post
I tried looking for the question but coudn't find it. Can you water clone in swamp water?
Yes.
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Hold the Clone

I made this entry in my blog but wanted to include it here in the Book of, as well:

The Marro Warriors have a reputation for being good in the late game with their speed, range, and Water Clone; and this is true, at least in most settings. However, in a tournament setting, end game is not necessarily their best area. If a player is relying on the Warriors as their closer, more often times than not, they will be behind on points. Not a good place to be with time running out. This doesn’t mean the Warriors are a bad idea for tournaments. On the contrary, they are almost always good to have around. Here is a few reasons why:

Price

Their value is pretty much unmatched. Water Clone could be removed from their card and they would still be worth their 50 points. At 12.5 points per figure, they are the lowest priced ranged unit in the game. There is no two ways about it: They are cheap. As such, they are versatile before the game even starts. They can be worked into so many different builds to do so many different things. You would never set out to build an army around them like you would with a unit like the Krav, but you certainly want to keep them in mind as you are rounding out your points. Being cheap also makes them expendable, not that they should always be played that way but you certainly should give up a Marro to protect something more valuable. With solid stats and a low price, the Marro Warriors can make almost any army better.

Speed

Movement can make or break a unit and the Marro Warriors are a good example of this. These guys have a speedy move of 6. Move 6 is just awesome in this game. The difference between move 5 and move 6 seems almost astronomical at times. Speed translates to high ground and these guys are able to pick up those height bonuses. The Warriors can get out quickly to get things done, whether it is early game or mid game. Their speed allows them to catch up to the fight no matter when you bring them out. If you are using them early, they can get out in front, grab glyphs, take key positions and dictate game play. In terms of Cloning, their speed allows them to fall back a bit or get to water with greater ease. Their speed is one of the main attributes that makes them so functional.

Numbers

Figures per card is pretty important. When it comes to a ranged squad, the difference between 3 figures and 4 figures can be significant. The MWs have the numbers. They need the numbers. Their Water Clone wouldn’t even make sense if there was only 3 of them in the squad. Also, being able to get 4 cracks at a key target versus 3 can be game turning at times. The Warriors can fan out for you to contest key spots or they can run interference while you set up another unit. They can be a multitasking unit, like being able to threaten multiple attacks while also securing a glyph. Having 4 of them makes them good at absorbing damage and creating barriers. It also helps keeps them viable even without cloning.

Here are a couple of tournament armies I have played them in:
  • Krav Maga, Tagawa Samurai, Raelin, MeBurqSa, Marro Warriors - In this army, they were the glyph grabbers; the go getters. They were the lead card. I used them to control key spots and dictate action. With Raelin backing them up, they became down right pesky. I went 5-1 playing this army at GenCon 2006 with the Marro Warriors leading the way.
  • Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite, Krav Maga, Marro Warriors, 3xDeathreavers - In this army, they didn’t need to be the lead, the reavers were there for that. I used them mid game. I typically lead with reaver/Krav depending on the AE drop. I would bring the Marros in once the Krav were in trouble. More times than not, they were able to get the job done. I went 4-2 playing that army at GenCon 2007.
The Marro Warriors, like most units, will disappoint from time to time, but at 50 pts it isn't the end of the world. I like having them around to use like a pocket knife. Sometimes they might do nothing more than secure a glyph. Other times they may be shielding key figures or establishing high ground. Their uses are plenty and their numbers, speed, and price make it all possible.

Hmm, I haven't mentioned Water Clone too much. You know why? Because I found Water Cloning to be a bit like activating Raelin. If you have activated Raelin 3 or more times in a game, you are probably losing. The same is true for Water Clone. If you have Water Cloned 3 or more times in a game, you are probably losing. This isn't always the case, but it seems that way more times than not. As such, I don't view Water Clone as a necessary component to the Marro Warriors. It is certainly nice to have and does come in handy, but it isn't what makes them so good.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; October 10th, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

R˙chean! I couldn't agree with you more on that! I usually don't use water clone if my remaining warriors would be able to open fire upon an enemy if I moved them closer to the enemy that I want them to attack.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I was playing a game with them last night, and I only had two left with a nagrub and a grok rider my only backup. I used water clone, in water, and rolled a four and five.

I lost.

Though it was pretty hilarious seeing my nagrubs kill so many of his templar.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Question:
When is the best time to use Water Clone? How many Warriors should there be when they use it? One, two three? (Although with one you would obviously want to Clone).

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Question:
When is the best time to use Water Clone? How many Warriors should there be when they use it? One, two three? (Although with one you would obviously want to Clone).
I'd say (in the water) when you have 1 or 2 left. If you still have 3 you can still do some damage, but if you have lost initiative you could try to grab your last one on OM 3 if your only missing one.

For the most part it all depends on what your trying to do; if your holding a position and you can't shoot anything you should take your clone roll, but if your chasing down a low life hero retreating to kelda you should blast his brains out at all cost.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM

dragonite is surprisingly tart

I know you can water clone in swamp water but can you clone on ice. It is water but still not if you know what I mean.

Mess with the Dragon you're going to get burned.
Not only do the rules say you're wrong, they also say you're a duck.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonite View Post
I know you can water clone in swamp water but can you clone on ice. It is water but still not if you know what I mean.
You can attempt to clone on ice, but you don't get the water benefit there, nor for snow.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units