Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: An Odd Tourney
I'd love to join this! 5 41.67%
I think it's a bad idea... 0 0%
You've gone crazy flameslayer 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
An Odd tourney...

Well, there are a lot of competitive players on the forums here and they have all gone to a public event consisting of many like-minded HS players vying for the top to become a champion...at least until the next tournament.

And then there are people who have never been to a real tourney in their life, or at least rarely get to go. It's often because they're kids and the parents won't take them, or they have work or whatever.

--I'm looking to make the 2 co-exist, even if it only happens once.

My pitch would be a PM-based tourney. We can make maps online(look at VS), and even better, the internet reaches across the borders of just the continental US(where it seems that most tourneys take place). Is this possible? Is this even legal? I don't know. But, we can chance it right?

If this idea were to take off, I've got a few initial concerns to take care of, (primarily other judges). Is this something you'd like to join? Or even become a judge? I doubt it will be easy, but anyone can enter, you can play from your house, at the comfort of your PC, rather than in a stuffy room packed with people.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edit:
Go here for the current info.

Last edited by flameslayer93; September 24th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: An Odd tourney...

Well... how would it work? How would players know where to move their opponent's figure or who was attacking where? Because "This stinger on the stinger with his gun facing to the left" doesn't cut it via PM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM

enkidu is surprisingly tart

I imagine it would have to involve a notation method similar to the one used in chess, and possibly photos of the initial map and figure set up. I think it is an interesting idea, but anyone entering into it should be warned that a full game would likely take a very long time (weeks if not months) to complete this way.

A far more convenient way to play with others online would be if someone could and would be willing to develop a video game of heroscape with online match ups. I know this would likely never happen, but boy would that be great. Could you imagine being able to get on your PC or game console and load up a game of heroscape to play against an AI or someone else online? Even a crude version with poor or limited graphics would be fun.
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Me and Samuelfrost4 played a game over Skype last week,It was a 4 player team game with 300 points each.It probably took 2 and a half hours,But I creamed him.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I think Skype could work. I'd be up for trying a game or even a tournament like this.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Well... how would it work? How would players know where to move their opponent's figure or who was attacking where? Because "This stinger on the stinger with his gun facing to the left" doesn't cut it via PM.
We can figure that out before we actually have it. As of right now nothing is set in stone, but even if nothing else it is an interesting concept.
Quote:
I imagine it would have to involve a notation method similar to the one used in chess, and possibly photos of the initial map and figure set up. I think it is an interesting idea, but anyone entering into it should be warned that a full game would likely take a very long time (weeks if not months) to complete this way.
Well, we can set a rule stating that players in such a tourney must play out at least round a day. Or it can be a game per day.

Quote:
A far more convenient way to play with others online would be if someone could and would be willing to develop a video game of heroscape with online match ups. I know this would likely never happen, but boy would that be great. Could you imagine being able to get on your PC or game console and load up a game of heroscape to play against an AI or someone else online? Even a crude version with poor or limited graphics would be fun.
Yeah, and its illegal(to my understanding). This is not illegal(to my understanding, but someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Quote:
I think Skype could work. I'd be up for trying a game or even a tournament like this.
That could work well too. Everything is still up in the air. But if we were to have this, what format? And the notation system for figures? All thought are appreciated

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I Need 42 Dumutefs for my Ullar army

samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Me and Samuelfrost4 played a game over Skype last week,It was a 4 player team game with 300 points each.It probably took 2 and a half hours,But I creamed him.
Not all of it was actually playing though. And the playing would be twice as fast the second time. We call it: HEROSKYPE!

Hello. I have updated my signature in an attempt to convey absolutely nothing, and waste your time reading this every time I post. Thank you.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If I can get anyone's skype name, I'd love to have a quick game on a day I'm not busy.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I Need 42 Dumutefs for my Ullar army

samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
If I can get anyone's skype name, I'd love to have a quick game on a day I'm not busy.
I`ll give you my Skype name but I'll probably be too busy the next moth or so. PM sent.

Hello. I have updated my signature in an attempt to convey absolutely nothing, and waste your time reading this every time I post. Thank you.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelfrost4 View Post
We call it: HEROSKYPE!
You're not the only one.

I remembered that thread from the olden days before internet reached the depths of southern Vermont (and so I didn't pay it much attention at the time).

So does HeroSkype work? There is a good point made in that thread about the general rule about not playing with twazzocks applies just as much, and so there's no worries about cheating. I'm more curious about how smoothly a game can go.

And getting ahead of ourselves to Skype tournaments, I'd advocate for a round robin format where everyone plays everyone else the same number of times. Also, to start with at least, keep everything else as simple as possible: kill 'em all, no glyphs, severe terrain limitations (so both players can build the map),... even army limitations? (I'd rather proxy than the last though.)
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Promising Cartographer

It would need some big limits... may I reccomend the MFN?
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
It would need some big limits... may I reccomend the MFN?
But I don't really want to leave anybody out due to terrain restrictions/lack of figs...I just figured a standard picture of a map with noted figures would work well...enough.

Here is an example of what I was thinking(if webcam games aren't an option as they may not be for some people).

@ollie:
You make good points about limiting what we can do. I'd rather make this simple and if we wanna try it again, then we can add on extra layers. For webcam games, proxying would have to be allowed, but I think it would be interesting to only use units in your personal(or collective) collection, so that even folks with limited collections could still have semi-viable armies as there'd be no borrowing allowed.

Keep 'em coming folks, we can't have an internet tourney without help(and players)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events