Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Official Rules & Units

Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:19 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Would You Change Any AoA Units?

Heroscape's revival is underway (for real this time), and we know that Renegade will be releasing the figures shown in the original revival attempt. What we don't know is whether or not they'll stick with the previewed/original team's designs or make any changes. So I'm curious: do you like the previewed AoA designs? Are there changes you personally would make?

With Hasbro's failure, I admittedly don't have any experience with the AoA units outside of the AoA event at ScapeCon III (and there I only saw Knight Primus, Queen Maladrix with Honor Guard, and Dorim). They all seemed enjoyable. Whether you have as little experience or more, would you change anything? Maybe something like making Killian a little more interesting than just another Shotgun, doing away with the pseudo-historical theme of Fia Bonny, or cutting down on Xenithrax's complexity?

What say you?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 23rd, 2023, 09:47 PM

nextguy knows what's in an order marker nextguy knows what's in an order marker
Re: Would You Change Any AoA Units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Heroscape's revival is underway (for real this time), and we know that Renegade will be releasing the figures shown in the original revival attempt. What we don't know is whether or not they'll stick with the previewed/original team's designs or make any changes. So I'm curious: do you like the previewed AoA designs? Are there changes you personally would make?

With Hasbro's failure, I admittedly don't have any experience with the AoA units outside of the AoA event at ScapeCon III (and there I only saw Knight Primus, Queen Maladrix with Honor Guard, and Dorim). They all seemed enjoyable. Whether you have as little experience or more, would you change anything? Maybe something like making Killian a little more interesting than just another Shotgun, doing away with the pseudo-historical theme of Fia Bonny, or cutting down on Xenithrax's complexity?

What say you?
I haven’t dug into each unit specifically until they are fully released, but overall I am not a fan of introducing two additional generals for the AoA units. I would have preferred they built more lore off of the 7 we already have first. The bugs could have easily been Utgar or Valkrill and the wood guys Ullar.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 09:52 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Ordo Borealis seem quite tricky to use. It is hard to convince my wife to move her figures into range and also successfully having an order marker there when she does. However, the power is so simple and neat that I wouldn't necessarily want it changed. I am not sure of a way to make it easier, other than just getting better at using them.
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextguy View Post
I haven’t dug into each unit specifically until they are fully released, but overall I am not a fan of introducing two additional generals for the AoA units. I would have preferred they built more lore off of the 7 we already have first. The bugs could have easily been Utgar or Valkrill and the wood guys Ullar.
I am inclined to agree, although I don't mind a Valkrill replacement as a second "bad guy" if there are complications with D&D ties.
Old October 24th, 2023, 11:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I recall that someone said from Hasbro during its offering period that the supposed problem with D&D licensing was not a thing, so I'd expect it isn't for Renegade either.

Someone else more recently, I think Sir Heroscaper, interpreted the Renegade designer's comments on the video that she was modifying the Hasbro AOA units, but I didn't get that. I thought she said "new units."

We've been playing all the AOA units integrated with our monthly games of Classic/VC since the Hasbro offering was made, and haven't had any trouble as such (you can check out our games down in my signature thead link). And the onsite committee ACES has declared them all compatible.
Old October 25th, 2023, 11:20 AM

Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker

I have played a little with the pirates, and I actually like killian. I do think the dryan lifeborn order seems underpowered, but maybe the unreleased units tie it all together. Its hard to say if stuff needs changing without seeing all of it. That being said I would absolutely change raakchott to make the special attack a little more powerful given its hard to get at full power.
Old October 25th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I have no mechanical feedback, but aesthetically, tightening up the names. Fully half the new heroes are "So-and-so the Something", or "Whosit, Whatsit of the Blahblah". One or two getting that would make them stand out, but as it is it is repetitive and exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextguy View Post
I am not a fan of introducing two additional generals for the AoA units. I would have preferred they built more lore off of the 7 we already have first. The bugs could have easily been Utgar or Valkrill and the wood guys Ullar.

Also this.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old October 25th, 2023, 01:53 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Add me to the list that thinks we don't need more Generals.

-insert signature here-
Old October 26th, 2023, 11:38 AM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Add me as well. I did not like that right after Ana Karithon came out she got neutered a bit by adding Valkrill.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old October 26th, 2023, 02:54 PM

DarthLegolas is surprisingly tart

I don't disagree that I would've preferred all the new units to simply fall under an existing general, but it's not a big deal to me and I'm confident we'll have plenty of classic generals rep later on.

I'm more interested in discussing abilities and mechanics. I think Kita, Kayne, and Killian leave something to be desired. Kita feels empty and lacks a clear role. Killian is ANOTHER shotgun style spray attack and doesn't have anything to really make him stand out. And I was just expecting a little more to come with Imperator Kayne's model. I would've thought some sort of special power would've come with having a gatling gun but he only comes with Stomp, which works and sounds fun, but it feels a little like tread territory and it could use something more exciting.

These are nitpicky. I understand that not every unit is going to be a stand out or excite me personally but these units in particular kind of just make me shrug.

Also shoutout to Hellforge Mandukor, who -while rad- doesn't place down lava tiles after destroying somebody. Which was what I thought it was going to do (based off the bio that Encarmine wrote) and very much hoped for. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that it just heals itself. (which is probably actually more viable from a competition standpoint but not as fun.)

Other minor thing stuff:

Vorrid Burrowbreaker needs an actual name sense he's unique. Someone on the discord nominated "Doug" which I can't argue with lol.

I'm not the biggest fan of Q10's new model
Old October 26th, 2023, 06:47 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Add me as well.
Me too. Maybe if we can keep this going long enough they'll nix any plans for new generals.
Old October 26th, 2023, 09:38 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

IIRC, they had actually moved some of the Dryan Lifeborne to Ullar!

Last edited by chas; October 27th, 2023 at 09:52 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Official Rules & Units