Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 27th, 2011, 02:36 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Typhon2222's Maps

My signature map has been updated to include an improved 1x1 version intended for standard tournament play, with 24 starting hexes per player.

QUICKSILVER FANE
Cracked columns screen liquid pools whose strange quivering quickens the senses....
You have stumbled across Quicksilver Fane.

Map: QUICKSILVER FANE (tournament version — uses RotV)
Uses: 1 RotV, 1 FotA, 1 RttFF (road tiles only), 1 TJ.
Download: here

This remains one of my favorite maps. It's easy to set up, and always seems to give good games. The jungle plants are positioned for maximum accessibility, giving lots of protection against ranged fire. The roads allow for fast movement from one end of the map to the other, while still forcing tough decisions about when to get off them. And the position of the glyphs seems to encourage furious battles.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Added photographs of a few maps featuring custom terrain (hence not rendered in VirtualScape):

Last edited by Typhon2222; March 27th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM

I've improved MARGINAL GAIN, and uploaded new images and build instructions.

MARGINAL GAIN
Designed for 1x1 tournament play, with standard 24 starting hexes per player. Jungle, road, and movement glyphs make for a melee-friendly map. Also strives to offer tough choices between seizing the upland margins first, moving in force for the center, or some combination, since the lowland glyphs provide a movement bonus useful for taking the heights.

Map: MARGINAL GAIN
Uses: 1 RotV, 1 TJ, 1 VW, 1 RttFF or FotA (road/wall walk tiles only).
Glyphs: 2 Dagmar (+8 initiative), 2 Valda (+2 movement).

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I really like the maps, and the diamond shape most of them have is really unique. Another plus is that you mix terrain without caring about BoV standards, and then limit the amount of terrain so that it's BoV eligible.

Another point I like is that you seem to incorporate a higher-than-usual amount of glyphs. It makes more places for the battle to occur.

The only problem in Quicksilver Fane is that there isn't enough height. It only goes to about level three. Aesthetically, it's great. Plus, the road is really different.

As an uncapped castle supporter, I think it is great. But I'd like more LoS blockers inside the "circle" section.

On to Yea Through I walk- Also aesthetically awesome, I think this is a great map. The lava-on-height spots are great. The only two complaints are as follows:

1. The highest points on the map are closer to 1 side. When playing melee-on-range, it makes a pod of range on height and approaching figures are slaughtered. The lava feild balances this a little bit, but a LoS blocker there would help.

2. There are too many spots that are on the heighest points of the map. I usually like to stick to somewhere between 4 and 8. This map has 14, and Margins of Error has 20.

Otherwise, the maps seem nearly perfect. Just a little tweaking and you have yourself a collection of BoV maps.

Nice work!!!
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oooh, here's your map thread, typhon.

I'll be interested to see how Quicksilver Fane plays; all the road and jungle may help obviate the need for LoS blockers in the middle.

Marginal Gain, on the other hand, looks like a shooting gallery.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Oh wow, feedback! Thanks guys.

I'll reply tomorrow when I'm fresh. For now, just want to announce I've posted a new map:

YAR'S REVENGE
Designed for 1x1 tournament play, with standard 24 starting hexes per player. Uses only the easiest-to-get sets.

Map: YAR'S REVENGE
Uses: 2 BftU, 1 FotA.
Glyphs: 2 of your choice.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This new one looks interesting Typhon. Nice!

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hey Typhon.

I really like the looks of this one. Something that can happen with maps like this - Jonathan's Hometown Map comes to mind - is they can be *terribly* inhospitable to the larger two hex figures.

Yours may not be so bad because it isn't all columns, but I wonder whether you've given Nilfheim, Tor Kul Na, and Grimnak a spin to see if they all have places they can stand throughout the map.

I do like these ones that look like mazes, and they don't *have* to accommodate all the figs in the 'Scape universe, but it's something to think about.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 25th, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Dad_Scaper, you're a prince among men.

I just posted a reply to your (ever thoughtful) comments over in the MfN thread, but just in case you land here first....

Grimnak's fine. His tail is long, but that doesn't hurt him too much here at all. T-K-N is tighter. Nilfheim has it toughest. But my philosophy is that those pieces -- especially Nilfheim -- are intended to be difficult to place on many maps. That's why Nilfy costs so little for his power: his size acts as a considerable drawback. If he were a svelte little thing, then he'd be ridiculously too cheap. So if there are some maps in which Nilfy has troubles, well, I figure that's part of his cost, and was intended by the game designers to be such.

That said, I'm thinking of moving the two central stalagmites out of the shadow area, and put them back in line with the others near the starting zones, to completely wall it off. That would also open up that central shadow area much more for T-K-N and Nilfy (and make it harder for rats to clog). Whatcha think?
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Oh wow, feedback! Thanks guys.

I'll reply tomorrow when I'm fresh. For now, just want to announce I've posted a new map:

YAR'S REVENGE
Designed for 1x1 tournament play, with standard 24 starting hexes per player. Uses only the easiest-to-get sets.

Map: YAR'S REVENGE
Uses: 2 BftU, 1 FotA.
Glyphs: 2 of your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Dad_Scaper, you're a prince among men.

I just posted a reply to your (ever thoughtful) comments over in the MfN thread, but just in case you land here first....

Grimnak's fine. His tail is long, but that doesn't hurt him too much here at all. T-K-N is tighter. Nilfheim has it toughest. But my philosophy is that those pieces -- especially Nilfheim -- are intended to be difficult to place on many maps. That's why Nilfy costs so little for his power: his size acts as a considerable drawback. If he were a svelte little thing, then he'd be ridiculously too cheap. So if there are some maps in which Nilfy has troubles, well, I figure that's part of his cost, and was intended by the game designers to be such.

That said, I'm thinking of moving the two central stalagmites out of the shadow area, and put them back in line with the others near the starting zones, to completely wall it off. That would also open up that central shadow area much more for T-K-N and Nilfy (and make it harder for rats to clog). Whatcha think?
Well met!

You could make those stalagmites into void spaces a la Chaos in the Catacombs. That way the double space figures could move around easily.
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Well, you *say* Tor Kul Na is fine, but remember a unit has to be able to fit on every space he's walking through, and I'm suspicious about those two narrow openings into the flank areas, and equally suspicious about the pool of shadow in the middle of the map, and a little suspicious about the uneven terrain in the flanks.

Just double check those, if you haven't already.

As I said, I really like these labyrinthine maps, but I had to abandon my Tor Kul Na army before a recent tournament when it turned out the massive Hivelord could not even get out of the start zone on Jonathan's Hometown Map.

I might also level out the terrain in the open-ish areas on the flanks. Keep the shadow as 0 heght terrain, but by leveling the terrain you make it a little less impossible for the two hex figures to find places to stop.

You definitely like those enclosed start zones, Typhon, it's a repeating theme in your maps. What about, instead, taking the two stalagmites and pulling each directly back toward the start zone? They could sit right on those castle walk hexes, which appear to be the big ones & thus couldn't move anyway. Then you could take the odd bits of water from the very edge of the map, where they seem like a place you put them because why-not, then put them in the center, where the stalagmites had been.

You get nice LOS blockage up the middle and leave room for 2 hexers to maneuver, plus I think those two water hexes might look sharp as little dots in the middle of your map.

I don't know, though. I'm glad to share my , I'm just never sure they're worth that much, if you know what I mean.

= =
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
You definitely like those enclosed start zones, Typhon, it's a repeating theme in your maps. What about, instead, taking the two stalagmites and pulling each directly back toward the start zone? They could sit right on those castle walk hexes, which appear to be the big ones & thus couldn't move anyway. Then you could take the odd bits of water from the very edge of the map, where they seem like a place you put them because why-not, then put them in the center, where the stalagmites had been.
Inspired idea D_S.

I'll have you know I put those odd bits of water on the edges precisely with YOUR two-hex figures in mind. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to occupy the glyph.

But I have, oh, 22 more water pieces to use from the two BftU sets. So I can easily allocate two to the center, surrounded by shadow.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios