Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old December 18th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
I'm not saying get rid of Reach, I'm saying make it more powerful to attack adjacent than from 2 away to add a lot more strategy.
Do you know how spears work? It's a long pole. It's a thrusting weapon. It works best at long range. In close quarters, especially with a shield, it is cumbersome. That's why in real close battles a knife is favored over a sword; more maneuverability. (And it part why a Roman Gladius was such a great weapon in its time.
Did you skip the rest of the thread? Hmm? Cuz I'm pretty sure this is where the whole reality check came into play...

-Orc, noting this endless circle he seems to have gotten himself in.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not saying get rid of Reach, I'm saying make it more powerful to attack adjacent than from 2 away to add a lot more strategy.
Do you know how spears work? It's a long pole. It's a thrusting weapon. It works best at long range. In close quarters, especially with a shield, it is cumbersome. That's why in real close battles a knife is favored over a sword; more maneuverability. (And it part why a Roman Gladius was such a great weapon in its time.
Did you skip the rest of the thread? Hmm? Cuz I'm pretty sure this is where the whole reality check came into play...

Yes, I have read the whole thread. And I cannot understand your argument here. I could completely understand if you had a problem with the Braced Spears % roll or their price, but having a problem with what makes a spear a spear doesn't make sense to me. You're trying to invert where the strength of a spear lies; at long distance. It's weaker and largely inefficient in melee. As to the sculpt itself, yeah the reach doesn't quite reach two spaces, but figures like Giants who should have reach don't, even if it's thematic for both.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I have read the whole thread. And I cannot understand your argument here. I could completely understand if you had a problem with the Braced Spears % roll or their price, but having a problem with what makes a spear a spear doesn't make sense to me. You're trying to invert where the strength of a spear lies; at long distance. It's weaker and largely inefficient in melee. As to the sculpt itself, yeah the reach doesn't quite reach two spaces, but figures like Giants who should have reach don't, even if it's thematic for both.
Well I believe I've stated before that I disliked other aspects of them. Many times, I believe. But I went from a different perspective than the other two times.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:36 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:

You proposed that it would be better for them to get extra attack in melee because spears are traditionally better when used at a distance?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:

You proposed that it would be better for them to get extra attack in melee because spears are traditionally better when used at a distance?
Bracing the spear is used when someone "runs into" you. Impale is used to stab someone further away. If bracing logically hits him when he reaches your hex, which is what it does, then impaling would hit someone in the hex next to you. It wouldn't have an extra hex worth of distance.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:43 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Bracing the spear is used when someone "runs into" you. Impale is used to stab someone further away. If bracing logically hits him when he reaches your hex, which is what it does, then impaling would hit someone in the hex next to you. It wouldn't have an extra hex worth of distance.
You can't impale yourself on my braced spear just by standing at the tip of it. You have to bring yourself close enough to me that your movement propels you on to the tip of my spear. So Braced Spear doesn't trigger when you are away from me, but it triggers as you move from the tip of my spear to be standing beside me. Heroscape doesn't offer any "in between two spaces" state, so in mechanical terms the power triggers after you are already on the adjacent space.

Impale, meanwhile, is the simplest way to implement the desired theme/mechanic in the Heroscape ruleset. If it makes you feel better, you could think of it as something along the lines of a base attack of 3 with text of:
Quote:
UNWIELDY
When a Cathar Spearman attacks an adjacent figure, subtract one from their attack dice.

--
--
--

--
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Now you're just making stuff up

Bracing is used when someone runs into the space adjacent to you. If bracing logically hits them as they reach an adjacent space, then there's no extra distance involved to impale them in the prior space.

~Aldin, mathamagically challenged

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Personally, the "bonding squads are great against them" argument falls really flat for me, since almost all of my favorite melee squads don't bond.

That said, I like playing with the Cathars and I feel much better about using them than about using a figure like Q9 or the 4th Mass.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs