Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart
WOTC synergy with other products

I would have liked to see 4th edition D&D use hexs so people would would buy heroscape for their games.I know this is blasphemous even Magic the Gathering could be heroscaped with planeswalkers, legends and squad creatures we already have the elf wizards which work off each other in a very MTG sort of way.

Just some thoughts on units.

Lord of Atlantis and merfolk
Goblin King and goblins
Lim Dul and zombies
Urza and Mishra
Shivan dragon
Saporlings
Artifact glyphs

Magic players would want the figures and could use the squads as tokens
which in turn is more sales for heroscape.Also some would get hooked on the the addiction of heroscape.I know I could have used some goblin squads back in the day with my goblin warrens.
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: WOTC synergy with other products

Although I haven't played Magic in about a decade, I'd have no problems with MagicScape, or any other 'Scape for that matter. I agree that some players might buy the figs just to get minis of characters like Serra Angel or Thallids (dating myself, I know). While I don't get the feeling that we'll ever see an official MagicScape as such, future Heroscape releases could very well bear some similarities to existing Magic cards, since they use a lot of common fantasy tropes anyway.
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Makes sence to me. Have some offical cross product uses and watch sales increase.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooded scion View Post
I would have liked to see 4th edition D&D use hexs so people would would buy heroscape for their games.I know this is blasphemous even Magic the Gathering could be heroscaped with planeswalkers, legends and squad creatures we already have the elf wizards which work off each other in a very MTG sort of way.

Just some thoughts on units.

Lord of Atlantis and merfolk
Goblin King and goblins
Lim Dul and zombies
Urza and Mishra
Shivan dragon
Saporlings
Artifact glyphs

Magic players would want the figures and could use the squads as tokens
which in turn is more sales for heroscape.Also some would get hooked on the the addiction of heroscape.I know I could have used some goblin squads back in the day with my goblin warrens.
Fourth Edition was designed years before Heroscape switched over from Hasbro to Wizards of the Coast. Fourth Edition was announced officially at GenCon '07 (I was there, but a friend attended the announcement with Your Move Games). Heroscape switched over from Hasbro to Wizards in '08. It generally takes a couple of years to develop a game, so unless Hasbro had been planning on the switchover before Heroscape was even in its first couple of sets, there would have been absolutely no way they could have designed the two games to crossover.

If they were to have a crossover with the two games, using hexes in both games, a mechanic would have been added. 4th edition DnD is fairly simplified compared to 3.5, but both games are based solely on square spaces. When you incorporate hexes into a game such as DnD the focus not only goes from who's where in combat, to who's where and which direction are they facing. The abilities in the game would have to be completely retooled, and they would become much more complicated. Wizards announced that they hoped 4th Edition would be more simplified to appeal to a wider audience. This would force the Heroscape team to do the same thing in terms of spaces, in order to make an in sync crossover. Heroscape doesn't do this now with hexes, but I'm just using it as an example.

In terms of Magic characters/races showing up in Heroscape, I'm not a huge fan. I love the idea of Heroscape having its own identity. I love playing the game and seeing who would win between my army of robots vs. zombies and Shaolin monks, or whatever army my friends and I decide upon. Throwing Magic characters into the mix will, to me at least, seem like a complete sellout by the designers of the game. The original design team worked very hard on giving the game its own sense of being, so throwing another games characters into the mix is just insulting to them in my opinion.

If Wizards were to do that with Magic, why stop there? They, and Hasbro their parent company, own the rights to a number of properties. Look at how overpowered the Marvel Heroscape was (though its not in production anymore). What would stop Wizards from using just them? If they used Magic characters, why not Transformers? Or GI Joe? Or Star Wars Characters? Or heck, even Pokemon? (Now keep in mind I would LOVE to see Transformers, GI Joe, and Star Wars Heroscape pieces but I digress). Wizards has either designed and produced, or owned the game rights, to all of these properties.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. It's 100% NOT my intention. So, if I sounded like one please forgive me, it is not my intent

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't mind the general premise of another crossover, but it seems like there would always be two camps: The Spinnoffs, and The Originals just like there is with Marvel now. It didn't promote the cross over everyone was hoping for. Instead, it's created a line in that sand players either cross or do not.

I do like the Planeswalker idea, though... I've often thought that it would be cool to have figures that represent the player characters on the board. Each player would have one, so they would not be drafted as part of the army or have a point value. The player's avatar would not start on the board, but the first time you reveal an OM on the card, you'd basically teleport yourself down onto the field (with some placements restrictions, I would think) and begin using the figure as you would other army cards in the traditional sense. They'd each have a set of abilities and powers to help their armies on the field, probably some kind of bonding and aura effects.

But at that point, the figures also present an alternate win condition for your opponents - if you are somehow able to destroy your other opponent's avatar, that player is removed from the game no matter what other figures are left on the board.

Old July 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

There is a thread around here somewhere about MagicScape...that is, actually creating a hybrid of the two games, with both miniatures and cards, with each player having a planeswalker in their start zone the other is trying to kill with HS units. Very interesting concept, actually, IMO.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I use alot of the custom units found in these forums(star wars,marvel).
I only found heroscape about 7 months ago so I'm stuck with scavenging what product I can find what was left over in stores clearance sections.
I don't wan't to buy a lava set or tundra set for 70+ online.I like walking into stores and buying it not being forced to go to ebay.I just want some more new official figures,new land sets instead of buying multiple rotv and marro sets to get extra lands (when I can find them ) although I use the extra marro common squads.So I figure a Magicscape expansion would mean more players,more sales and more new product.WOTC should come out with waves to go along with the new core sets. Alot of magic players will buy them just to get a figures for their favorite cards.Plus how many magic creatures would fit into heroscape seemlessly unlike the marvelscape characters.If they called ZELRIG a SHIVAN DRAGON would it really stick out.I don't mind using superheroes or jedi in my games to round out my armies it's like are own little Ultimate Nerdy Secret Wars.

Last edited by blooded scion; October 10th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Majai of Dreams is surprisingly tart

I always wished Magic the Gathering could have been transferred from just a card game to a board game. They had several video game live action spin offs with not much success.

I wouldn't mind seeing Magic taking a 3d hex approach just to see what would happen. But I do not want to see Magic influencing Heroscape. It would change the game too much for my liking.

If a hybrid were to be created, I would prefer it to be a stand alone entity.
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM

I just want to see more waves I figured a MTG expansion would get a better push from WOTC. Plus how many more different colored Mimring customs can I take.On another note with the big marvel movies that have come out and are in the works you would figure WOTC would do something with marvelscape. No instead they wasted funds on that dreamblade game although some of the figures look awesome.
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooded scion View Post
I would have liked to see 4th edition D&D use hexs so people would would buy heroscape for their games.I know this is blasphemous ....
The only way you will see this happen is if WotC is in a situation where they are so desperate for some quick ca$h that they will try and cross breed all of their game lines. Of course if/when it does happen they will be attacked on two fronts by the hard core D&D geeks and Scape purist.

(D&D geeks predicted this would happen after 4.0. They said their game was being turned from an RPG into a mini)

And you're right it is blasphemous and any said child of Scape and D&D would be an abomination.

The above statement was not a personal attack on 'Scion, just my response to the bile I feel rise in my throat every time I read about a D&D/Scape bastard child.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM

I first bought marvelscape for my son and we got hooked I grabbed everything we could find.I showed the game to my DM and told him we should try heroscape because some of our players couldn't show up that week and 1 hour later I had them hooked.The next week 2 people that played had ebayed some heroscape land tiles.I have to admit our D&D group started using the trees from our multiple Road to the Forgotten Forest sets in our games alot and the castle set from time to time.I just want to see more product since some of us didn't pick up this game when it first came out (no sparkley water,lava or tundra for me) and missed out on most of the waves we have the master sets and waves 1,8,9.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM

ron3090 Woo who?

I hope this will never happen.

D&D and 'Scape are two different games for two different audiences. They already share many common elements, and to add D&D minis to 'Scape would just be redundant. As for Magic, I can't say much, as I've only seen it played once, in passing. But my guess is that the case is the same, with no need to cross the two. For instance, you said "Lim Gul and zombies." We already have zombies.

ron3090 is 'Shotgun' Sullivan...
in the ECRU CAVE...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion