Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Book of Mohican River Tribe

The Book of Mohican River Tribe
Blackmoon's Siege - Collection 9 - "Braves and Brawlers"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - CONCEALMENT : Determining the Bonus?
    On Concealment, if a Mohican is 5 spaces away from the attacking figure, does that mean he can add 5 to the roll?
    No. The minimum number of spaces is not the range that the figures are at. It is the number of spaces BETWEEN the 2 figures. In the example, if the Mohican is being attacked at a range of 5, the minimum number of spaces between the 2 figures is
    more than likely 4. Do not count either space the figures are on. (Hasbro FAQ v9.4 p15)
  • - CONCEALMENT : What triggers Concealment?
    What attacks and abilities qualify as targeting the Mohican River Tribe?
    Most of the time, any time a figure is affected by an Attack or a Special Attack, they are targeted. There are a few exceptions. "Area" Attacks like DW9000's Explosion, Gurei-Oni's Tetsubo, or Zelrig's Majestic Fires only target one figure, but also affect those other figures adjacent to the target. The Mohican River Tribe may only roll for Concealment if it is the targeted figure. Additionally, Special Abilities that inflict wounds - like Dragon Swoop - are not Attacks, and do not trigger Concealment rolls.
  • - CONCEALMENT : Okay, what about Mimring?
    Does Mimring's Line of Fire Special Attack trigger Concealment?
    No, Mimring is the exception. The Mohican River Tribe may not roll for Concealment against Line of Fire because it does not specifically target any figures.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received

- VENOC WARLORD : Scout Leadership
As Scouts, Mohican River Tribe may benefit from Venoc Warlord’s SCOUT LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

- BRAVE ARROW : Scout Melee Attack Enhancement
As Scouts, Mohican River Tribe may roll an additional die when adjacent to Brave Arrow.

Synergy Benefits Offered
- BRAVE ARROW : War Cry
As a Unique Tribesman Hero, Brave Arrow can take a turn after the Mohican River Tribe if two or more Tribesmen are engaged at the end of their turn.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
- TBA

Power Ranking and Master Index

Jexix's Wave 9 Power Rankings:
"I think these guys are in a weird limbo state right now. There aren't that many players that are very skilled playing with them yet, but there definitely aren't that many people used to dealing with them. They have an interesting assortment of abilities that throw a monkey wrench in the typical game plan of people using 'trons, Rats, and some other popular armies. A-"

Mohican River Tribe Armies
Build a Competitive army with Brave Arrow and the Mohicans

Unit Strategy Review
- TBA

Photo by basilmichael

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; November 15th, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Updated with new FAQ citation
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Mohican River Tribe

Nicely done, Cheddar. If I had gotten out of bed a few minutes earlier this morning, things would have been different.

These guys look great in that sort of "10th-Regiment-Million-ways-to-play-them" sort of way. They are good for sneaking around as well as in melee. I can't wait to play them against an orc army once Wave 1 shows up.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like these guys. They seem like the kind of unit that hits hard and them fades. The only thing that might cause them problems is the middle to late stages of the game. In a army consisting of

Mohicans x3
Brave Arrow
Mittens
Venocs x3

once the inital onslaught wears off, you have nothing to work with. Sure, the Mohicans, Venocs, and Brave Arrow will cause a lo of damage, but may not destroy the whole army. After they are gone, all you have is Mittens to work with. Of course, this is all theory scape, but might be worth considering.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Indexed and listed. Thanks, CheddarLimbo, and thanks to the other people who also submitted requests and even finished versions for approval.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Just thinking about the tribe:

It seems the optimal place for them to be is exactly 6 spaces away from the enemy. That way, they can take ranged shots and also get the most out of Concealment. Any map with an easily accessible embankment will make candidates out of the Mohicans.

Since they have to Move before they Attack, they may be engaged before they can move away (as sometimes happens in a serious relationship). That's when Battle Apesh*t (or whatever that power is called) will come in handy.

These guys should be great for flanking an opponent. I can already think of several armies I can't wait to try them against. Orcs, Valiant, and Kato come to mind.

EDIT: I also just realized that, as Scouts, the Mohican River Tribe essentially just became the ranged Vipers we've been waiting for.

Last edited by spiteofthedice; May 24th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I could see this working as a 510 army:

3x MRT
BA
Mittens
2x Armoc

Use the MRT and BA in the beginning to middle destroying any range or special attackers your opponent has. After that use Armocs bonding with Mittens to clean up. If nothing else it would be a lot of fun.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I think these guys are going to be quite tricky to play. Ideally, they are going to want to end their turn engaged to an enemy.

If they engage only one enemy, and then kill it, they loose the defensive bonus and are left very vulnerable to ranged couter attacks (especially when your opponent moves in as close as possible while still not engaging).

I think their best best is for each unit to always engage at least two enemy units, so that even when their attack is successful, they still end the turn engaged.

Still, I think a fight against a ranged squad with disengage (arrow gruts) is going to be hard.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

These guys will certainly require some carefull finesse to play well, and could really add some interesting new tactical elements to the game... but MAN!... I can't help but cringe when I see that 1 Defense statistic combined with their cost of 70 points... A cheap 40 point 0 Defense Viper squad is highly expendable to use as "cruise missle shock troops," particularly when combined with Frenzy... but the Mohicans are pretty expensive for such a low-survivability factor. (even with their low-odds 20D roll).

And they'll also have a hard time benefitting from their Hero's adjacent attack bonus because he moves AFTER the Squad moves and attacks...

HOWEVER, once they are engaged with an enemy, they become much more interesting. At range, they are extremely vulnerable... but once engaged, they can truly become a hand-to-hand terror, particularly if they survive long enough to benefit from their hero's attack bonus.

So yes, I have concerns about their 1 Defense, but on the right map (I'm picturing Jungle Maps in particular) they could prove their worth.

Hmmmm... As I write this I'm realizing that this is one of those units that may not fare well with "TheoryScaping", but may very well surprise us all with the reality of their battle-readiness.... Play them as duck-and-cover first-strike Scouts and they may do very well... OK, I'm pumped... I'm ready to field a fast moving Indian-Viper Army and see what they can do!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I just realized something really cool about these guys. They laugh at Deathreavers. "Oh noes, you engaged me! Now all of my guys are 3/3 and I can be guaranteed to get my free turns with Brave Arrow!" Sure, they could be crafty and move their rats away at the end of the Mr. T's turns, but then they just wasted playing rats in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I just realized something really cool about these guys. They laugh at Deathreavers. "Oh noes, you engaged me! Now all of my guys are 3/3 and I can be guaranteed to get my free turns with Brave Arrow!" Sure, they could be crafty and move their rats away at the end of the Mr. T's turns, but then they just wasted playing rats in the first place.
Only the figures that are engaged are 3/3. And if they are engaged with a reaver that's all they can attack anyway. In the other words, reavers still get the job done even if they turn the Tribe into expensive Stingers. Still getting a free turn with Brave Arrow would be good.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Only the figures that are engaged are 3/3. And if they are engaged with a reaver that's all they can attack anyway. In the other words, reavers still get the job done even if they turn the Tribe into expensive Stingers. Still getting a free turn with Brave Arrow would be good.
I know that part. The ones that aren't engaged (and those that are engaged) will get their concealment bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
That doesn't negate rats in all cases. It seems like one of the worst possible opponents for the MRT would be a mobile ranged force combined with rats.

Imagine Q9 & rats against MRTs on a fairly flat map. The major hangs out just two hexes behind the rat screen, and is content to exchange shots with the MRT. If the MRT moves forward and attacks the rats, the rats just scatter back away from them. Then Q9 backs away on the next turn and the process repeats.

With Syvarris or Q10, you can actually outrange the MRT with multiple attacks, more or less forcing them to fight the rats. Concealment works really well in this case, but the MRT still dies fast enough to make it a good trade for the Syvarris/Q10 side.

You can do the same thing with 10th & rats, although concealment makes the 10th's statistical edge very small if the MRT stays at max range. Against stingers&rats, the MRT can back out to max range, draw the stingers past the rats, and then engage. But the stingers are 3/3 just like them and cost less per figure...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units