Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Over two players....question

I have been studying the rule book and the maps listed in it. I still haven't opened the game yet and I have another question. How adaptable is the included game maps and scenarios to include more then two players or 4 player teams. What I mean is this. It looks to me that most of the maps say it's for two players. The few that are not for two players are for 4 player teams. I want to know if you can make the maps say 3 against 3 or 5 against 5, 6 against 6, etc? If so, how difficult is it? I would greatly appreciate an answer as I had planned on more then 2 people playing most of the time some times over 4. And I prefer not to play teams that often. Thanks for any help.
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!
i play with 4-6 ppl on a constant basis. not hard at all. there is actually a lot of maps designed for various amounts of players. just check the download and maps and scenarios sections!
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
The maps and scenarios in the rulebook are really only designed for the prescribed number of players. The game can handle lots of players, given enough pieces. The largest limiting factor I've found is the amount of terrain.

The master sets come with enough for a 2,3, or 4 player game, but more then that becomes a bit of a struggle. Players begin to have no choice for where to set up, and the number of figures available limits the choices available to more players. The expansions help overcome this, as does the purchase of extra master sets.

I have successfully played in 6 player games using only 2 master sets, and it could've easily handled more.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM

jdozs has disabled reputation
Time is also an important factor in how many players in a given game. The most I prefer in one game is 4 and it is quite easy to play 4 players on just about any map. Usually with 4 players we do 400pt armies. The biggest game I've played was with 6 and it was entirely too long. With 6 or more players I would rather set up 2 boards and play 3 player or 1 on 1 tourny style. More games in the same amount of time. But it is easy to adapt to multiple amounts of players at once if you so choose.

There is no reason to chastise me. I will beat myself with a stick later.
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Or largest game to date consisted of 4 players with 1500 pt. armies each. We had a blast! But the game lasted for something like, 5 hours.

I prefer 1v1 small/medium board around 500 pts.
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM

lhhgbh has disabled reputation
We have done 6 people and the problem we had was that when we had so many people over with their spouses, parties always ensued. Once alcohol was invited in the game went downhill from there.

We did have a very good 6 person game on Thanksgiving that went well and it was fun. 500 pts and a big map using some of our custom pieces (check the custom board for some real fun!)

I agree with most here though. 4 player maps are the easiest to work with. Now is the time to buy a 2nd master set as many places have them on sale or clearance. If you see one for $25 or less, snap it up. Having multiples of some characters is a GOOD thing! Enjoy and welcome to the madness!

I appreciate the break in spending on HS pieces, but come on already!
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM

tvar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I agree that fitting more than 4 people on a map built with 1 master set will be pretty crowded. If you want bigger games, you may need another one or two master sets. I have played in one 6 player game built with 3 master sets, and the consensus was that the map was too large.

As far as the maps in the manual, that is obviously only the tip of the iceberg. You can always build your own maps to your liking, or look on the web or in these forums under Maps & Scenarios for tons more maps.
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Thanks for the answers guys.

If anyone has any suggestion as to what expansions to buy and in what order, that would be great. So far I just have one master set (the first one). Well, I will when my wife gives it to me.

I haven't even opened my first Master set and I already want another one. Oh....and many many expansions. My wife is going to hate me
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
If you are interested in building your collection more then check out this post I made a little while back, it should give you a little insight on what to try and get first.

http://heroscapers.com/community/sho...815&highlight=

This one is very helpful too.
http://heroscapers.com/community/sho...603&highlight=

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
The largest game I've ever played involved 5 players, each with 400 pts. But then again, the Marvel set was in play, so some of the players only had 2 figs on the board at the start. It was a long game, but engaging. I would recommend team-play for 4 or more players, and keep the pts low: 400 or less. Every man for himself and high points will translate to a long game. I would also avoid 3-person games if possible. The middle guy will get shot up quickly by the other 2, then it becomes a 2-person game. Better are a 2-on-1 matchup with the 1 player getting more points to spend.

Not one step backwards!
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
I've gotta disagree about three-player games. They can work just fine as long as you're careful with map design. Having a triangular footprint helps ensure that there's no "middle guy." Also make sure that all the points of the triangle are balanced in terms of distance from the other two points, line of sight blockers, glyphs, etc... It's a bit trickier than a map for even numbers of players, but it can be done.
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM

ASmiles Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver
Better are a 2-on-1 matchup with the 1 player getting more points to spend.
If you are designing 2 on 1 matches, you need to give the 1 player either significantly more points, or some other advantages, like a castle defence, or elevated starting zones with glyphs in the starting zone or extra order markers (like using the X as a 4).

The fact that the 2 players get twice as many order markers is a huge advantage and one that is not easily counter by simply increasing the army size of the single player.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Record in Beantown Beatdown Tournaments 15-1-1

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's