Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 06:26 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!
Favorite Strategy and Family Games

I am looking for 2 person strategy games and 3-4 person lighter family type games to try. I am interested in hearing what Scapers' favorite games (besides Scape and Summoner Wars) are, and why.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation
Re: Favorite Strategy and Family Games

Castle Panic is a good co-operative game for the family.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireside-Games.../dp/B002IUFSPM
Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
I am looking for 2 person strategy games and 3-4 person lighter family type games to try. I am interested in hearing what Scapers' favorite games (besides Scape and Summoner Wars) are, and why.
Oh, where to begin?

You didn't provide much background. Are you looking for a more Ameritrash style game? A Euro game? What types of game do you already like? What themes would appeal to you and the other players?

Dragon Ruler, you're not too far from me. Just sayin'.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Oh, where to begin?

You didn't provide much background. Are you looking for a more Ameritrash style game? A Euro game? What types of game do you already like? What themes would appeal to you and the other players?

Dragon Ruler, you're not too far from me. Just sayin'.
Actually Jim, closer than you think as I can walk to Massachusetts from my house in Somers.

Looking for two person strategy games for my son (OrcElfArmyofOne) and me. We love Scape, Summoner Wars, Ashes and Epic, so we are probably looking for games in that vein, but we are willing to try other game types as well. He plays Mice and Mystics and Dead of Winter with his buddy.

As for family games, my wife will play Ticket to Ride and Splendor. We are interested in branching out from there.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:20 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

OK. Tail Feathers just came out, so that could appeal to the Mice & Mystic and HeroScape parts of you guys.

Two player strategy games are a little tougher, but games that play two and up is easier.

Carcassonne
is a great 2 player tile-laying game, and plays up to 5 (I think) in the base game. It can get very cutthroat, but it doesn't have to be.

My wife loves Valley of the Kings (I do too), which is an Egyptian themed deck-building game that also plays well with two and with up to four.

Cube Quest is a lighter dexterity game (two player only) that involves flicking cubes across the board to try to knock the opponent's King cube off the board.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
OK. Tail Feathers just came out, so that could appeal to the Mice & Mystic and HeroScape parts of you guys.

Two player strategy games are a little tougher, but games that play two and up is easier.

Carcassonne
is a great 2 player tile-laying game, and plays up to 5 (I think) in the base game. It can get very cutthroat, but it doesn't have to be.

My wife loves Valley of the Kings (I do too), which is an Egyptian themed deck-building game that also plays well with two and with up to four.

Cube Quest is a lighter dexterity game (two player only) that involves flicking cubes across the board to try to knock the opponent's King cube off the board.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
Great. Orc if you are reading this thread, stop now.

Valley of the Kings looks pretty good, thanks Jim. Carcossonne is already going under the tree thanks to previous recommendations from Johngee.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:56 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Lords of Waterdeep, Castles of Burgundy, War of the Ring, and of course Pandemic are among my favorites. If you have 3 hours to play, WotR is amazing. It's just long.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:17 PM
Monokidnatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpriteMichaeler View Post
Lords of Waterdeep, Castles of Burgundy, War of the Ring, and of course Pandemic are among my favorites. If you have 3 hours to play, WotR is amazing. It's just long.
I didn't mention a lot of great games because of this:
Quote:
I am looking for 2 person strategy games and 3-4 person lighter family type games to try.
Though those are great games (though I've never played WotR).

Scaper of the Week #17
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

2 player? Iron Man: Game of War card game.

2-4? Ruin. It's Parcheesi 2.0, where you get to roll a huge die and change the map as you play! It's silly fun.
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:41 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpriteMichaeler View Post
I didn't mention a lot of great games because of this:
Quote:
I am looking for 2 person strategy games and 3-4 person lighter family type games to try.
Though those are great games (though I've never played WotR).
Yeah, I was generally aiming for the two person strategy games. If we don't want to play Heroscape, I can usually convince anyone to try Burgundy. It's a great two player competitive game.
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I wonder if you guys might be looking for something a little heavier, or plays a little longer, for two-player. Rather than pretend to be an expert myself, I will say that my taste is similar to yours and I asked a similar question on Fortress Ameritrash recently. Here is the response I got.

For light family games that play well with three, recently my go-to selections are Camel Up, Bohnanza, and Colt Express. Probably in that order, in the situation you describe. I think you would all get something different out of CU, and that's my #1 choice. Though, come to think of it, you could also do Sheriff of Nottingham at 3. That's a really good game, too.

I suggest, when looking for your next game with OEAO, you go for something with more meat on its bones.

If, by the way, you decide you want to go in the direction of light wargames and are interested in a copy of Command & Colors: Ancients, let me know. But my first thought for you guys is a meatier, 4x / Dudes on a Map style game, which would mean following my link above.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks to all who replied for the excellent suggestions. I am looking forward to playing some great new (to us) games with Orc and with the rest of my family.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games