Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg
I am also the kind of freak that likes to keep the original boxes. ... (And, yes, I have boxes of empty boxes in the garage--a freak, I know....)
Hey, I'm not the only one! I have a stack of empty RotV boxes in my storage room that I can't make myself get rid of, and I have packed pretty much my entire collection into RotV boxes. Like you, I have one for Grass, one for Rock & Sand, etc. -- but everything else is in other RotV boxes as well, for easy stacking and efficient storage. (Although I also couldn't make myself throw out the empy Raknar's/TT/VW/etc. boxes either)

For my oversized figures, I made a double-height box by cleartaping two RotVs together, then cut out a portion of the floor/ceiling between them on one end. After that, I fashioned a special "drawer" (the inner box) that's double-height on one end, with a smaller "upper drawer" to fill in the space on the other. Hard to explain, but I have an L-shaped drawer that holds all of my don't-you-dare-remove-those-wings figures on one end, with two stories of riff-raff figures on the other end. Kind of like one of those two-story ranch houses where the living room has a vaulted ceiling with no living space above it. I should post some pictures.
EDIT: Here are the pictures.
Anyway, I like this because it keeps all my terrain immobilized for safety, and I can easily add more boxes (from my stash) as the collection grows, so I'm not constantly spending money on more containers. So far I've been making custom cardboard dividers inside the drawers for the figures, but I think I am going to convert to a ziplock organization system. Much more flexible and efficient, and makes it easier to hand out the squads as they're drafted. And, again, it's cheap.

Now I'm looking for a cheap, aesthetically pleasing, and updatable way to label the outsides of the boxes. I'm thinking about those stick-on plastic pockets that I can slide printed cards into. Because it's really really important to get these kinds of details just exactly right.
EDIT: I did convert to ziplocks, and made my own repositionable labels. It's all shown here.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I had a guy come into my office for counseling. I asked him, as I often do, "Just what seems to be the problem?"

He said, "Well, I don't really have a problem, but my wife thinks I do."

"Oh?" said I, "and just what problem does your wife think you have?"

"She thinks I'm crazy."

"Yes," said I, "and what makes her think you're crazy, do you think?"

"She think I'm crazy because I like donuts."

"Ah," says I, "that's not crazy. I like donuts too."

"You do?!" he shouted, "That's great. Come over to my house. I have seven rooms full of them!"
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill
...it's really really important to get these kinds of details just exactly right.

You and me, both... (And maybe a few more of the folks around here too... <conspiratorial tone>)

I like your drawer idea, btw, that sounds excellent; you don't happen to have a pix of it do you?
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
I had a guy come into my office for counseling. I asked him, as I often do, "Just what seems to be the problem?"

He said, "Well, I don't really have a problem, but my wife thinks I do."

"Oh?" said I, "and just what problem does your wife think you have?"

"She thinks I'm crazy."

"Yes," said I, "and what makes her think you're crazy, do you think?"

"She think I'm crazy because I like donuts."

"Ah," says I, "that's not crazy. I like donuts too."

"You do?!" he shouted, "That's great. Come over to my house. I have seven rooms full of them!"

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Sorry Rev, didn't mean to slight your joke as I replied to Just_a_Bill--it's a good one! (How many rooms do you have of HS? Shall we ask the Lunatic...? )
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I haven't got the space to set up proper games in my house, so it's pack 'n' tote to the FLGS every Saturday, for me. The problem is that now I can't take the Big Box anywhere else without getting screwy looks from people around me.

I'm considering splitting into two boxes: one with just the standard ROTV terrain and figures, and the other with all the expansion sets. That way I can pick up and play a game with a small(er) box, and if I want to go major-league I can add on the 2nd.

All you smug fizzles with your "space" and "gaming tables" and "basements." I hate you all...

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM

OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker
Most of my friends have heroscape, so I just fill up a large plsatic tub with figures they don't have. I can fit about a hundred figures. Other than that I've never really had experience with carrying terrain around...
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Sorry Rev, didn't mean to slight your joke as I replied to Just_a_Bill--it's a good one! (How many rooms do you have of HS? Shall we ask the Lunatic...? )
Just one room for 'Scape. (Of course, the architecture of our small house has the whole first floor...kitchen, dining room, living room, den...all as one large room. That's the HeroScape room!
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Quote:
I like your drawer idea, btw, that sounds excellent; you don't happen to have a pix of it do you?
I'll try to snap some tonight.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Quote:
I am also the kind of freak that likes to keep the original boxes.
Hey, I'm not the only one! I have a stack of empty RotV boxes in my storage room that I can't make myself get rid of, and I have packed pretty much my entire collection into RotV boxes. ... For my oversized figures, I made a double-height box by cleartaping two RotVs together, then cut out a portion of the floor/ceiling between them on one end. After that, I fashioned a ...
I was all set to laugh at you until...

Quote:
Anyway, I like this because ... I can easily add more boxes (from my stash) as the collection grows, so I'm not constantly spending money on more containers.
I thought about how much I've been spending on containers and upgrades. Don't tell my wife but that alone is probably a hundred dollars. And I'm an amateur.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Adrian Monk

Yeah, my wife has a million tubs for her stuff and I hate spending all the money on plastic that isn't painted and comes with an army card . I love the HS boxes--they hold a relatively decent amount of stuff and they stack quite nicely together--all the same size (or for the expansion, exactly half the size of the others). Stackable, free storage--I'm in...

(Even if I do still have all the other boxes that I'm not using all stacked up nicely as well.... ...)
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM

MinhBinh has disabled reputation
I have a large Sterilite tub that I put all of my terrain into. I have a Sterilite four-inch deep pan about the same width and length as the tub, where I put my smaller figures. The big guys go into a Sterilite toolbox-ish container. All the figures are in Ziploc bags (usually multiples go into the same bag) along with their army cards. I figured most Scapers use Ziploc bags for their figures. From reading this thread, it seems that many have found better organizational alternatives, however.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion