Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Mastering the Game

Greetings, Master

Well said. If someone has read my previous posts in various threads regarding competitive players, he would see that Spider Poison prepares for a tournament in a way similar to that which I described. He works at it. He plans. He practices, even looking for subtle weaknesses in his army build so that he does not find out about them in the tournament when it's too late. He probably spends as much time (if not more) preparing for a tournament as he does actually playing in it!

That's what it takes to be a champ or even a very good player. Does he have fun doing it? I'm sure he does. Planning/playing well and having fun are in no way mutually exclusive: in fact, for good players, they go hand in hand. If he doesn't win the tournament, he'll take it in stride knowing that it wasn't for lack of preparation, but simply because his opponents played well and, perhaps in a critical moment in a key game, the dice did not go his way.

I'm very glad he described his background work. Thank you very much for sharing it with us, Spider Poison. I hope all tournament players who want to improve are taking notes. In spite of his talent, he still has to work hard at it. That's the kind of player I want to play against in a tournament. I only wish I had as many good players as he does to playtest my armies against.

Last edited by Sarpedon; October 22nd, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Well, I generally play with Marduk, Utgarsrage and outforblood, so I don't have the honor to play with anyone who's any good at Heroscape!!!

!!!!!!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
After I decide on an army for an event, I like to get in lots of practice games with that army. Specifically, I like to play against what my army is bad against. .. I'll even modify the glyph pool to stack the odds even worse against me.
Standard sneaky master trick, he likes to CLAIM that he works hard at it but really its just that he has a special relationship with the dice.

Admit it, spider_poison, its all just lucky dice rolls, isn't it???
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:22 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

But does mastery = total control? As suggested by SW8K's poker comparison upthread, not even the most dominant poker player can be said to have "mastered" the game (in the sense of having full control of all elements of play). There's just too much randomness to make that definition of mastery applicable to 'scape.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:35 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry double post. How do i delete this?

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:36 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
On the flipside, can one be a Master Poker Player? Of course! It's a game that obviously depends a great deal on the "luck of the draw".... but a Master Poker Player knows how to play the odds and win more than lose. also involves Mastery of:
  • Bluffing skills
  • Ability to "read" your opponent's "tells"
  • Knowledge of the odds
  • measured decision-making skills in betting/folding/holding
And then compare Heroscape to Chess, where there are obvious Masters (and GrandMasters), where it's acknowledged as 100% skill. Similar skills to master in both Heroscape and Chess:
  • Planning several moves ahead
  • Playing Combination Moves
  • Mastering the different plays for opening/mid/end games.
  • Reading your opponent AND messing with his head skills (in-person chess games)
  • Situational awareness / identifying potential threats.
  • Use of sacrificial plays for advantage.
  • Board control
SW8K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
But does mastery = total control? As suggested by SW8K's poker comparison upthread, not even the most dominant poker player can be said to have "mastered" the game (in the sense of having full control of all elements of play). There's just too much randomness to make that definition of mastery applicable to 'scape.
He doesn't say that Poker is 100% skill like he does with chess. He states that a master Poker player can play the odds to win more than lose. Meaning there is no 100% in Poker.

When you play poker bring your shades.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; October 23rd, 2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Accidental double post.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker

You don't have to practice to have effectiveness. The madison tourney last weekend, I pulled an army out of my butt at 11pm in about 15 min. Even thou Joah told me to look at the map first. I didn't. I just pulled out 600 points that I thought would be the most versitle in any situation. I had not idea on the map, glyphs being used, or anything. In fact, I wasn't even planning on being in a tournament until that day. Picked out my army, threw it in a bag, and went to the tourney the next morning. This is usually the way I do all my armies. Not knowing the map, goes to your advantage. Others overthink a map, or setup and army for a specific situation, and design it completely around that. SO if a monkey wrench it thrown in, they don't know what to do. If you have no idea and just build a solid army ready for anything, your chances will be much better. But still comes down to dice.
I was 5-0 at Madison, with one match that was very close. Some wern't close at all, where I lost 3 single figures out of the entire battle.

You can play flawlessly. Take advantage of every mistake your opponent makes, have an army that works like clockwork, and if the dice arn't rolling your way, you will lose. 50% of the game involves dice rolling. Therefore, 50% of the game is luck based. Would you say that MTG is luck based? Somewhat, but more like 20%, since the only luck is luck of the draw. Mostly dependant on deck building and how all your cards work with one another. No dice involved.
I'd say HS is more like cribbage. You have massive luck standpoint on your dependant on the cards you get, but you have limited control to increase your odds on what cards you hope to land.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Congratulations on a great tournament, Nwojedi, and please go to the "Is Heroscape more Luck or Skill" thread and post your vote (if you haven't).

But as SW8K has said several time, very eloquently, this thread is about whether you can master the game, now whether you can master the dice.

Sounds to me like you are on your way to being a pretty fearsome opponent.

And you are right, as masters of many games will tell you, over analysis can make you a worse player.

I'd bet that's Jexik 's main flaw. He is great at Theoryscape, but has admitted not so good at Heroscape.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!

Greetings, Nwojedi

Congratulations on your 5-0 tournament victory. If you don't mind though, could you please tell us how many players were at the event and what units were in the army that you drafted? The reason I ask is because, although you (seem to) say you just threw an army together, it is odd that it worked so well for you. Your method is in stark contrast to that of Spider Poison's (a player whom many consider a master). Unlike you, he seems to feel the need to prepare a lot.

I'm also curious to know how many tournaments you attend, on average, per year and how many you've won or placed 1st-4th in. This would give us a better idea of your overall results using the method you describe.

By the way, have you ever played Spider Poison or other players of note at this site? How did you do against them? I know I'd like to have a chance to play against them.

Last edited by Sarpedon; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Of course, what Nwojedi didn't mention is that he has played a lot of 'Scape and is really smart and very game-experienced in a wide variety of genres.

He's also a really nice guy.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
..., although you say you just "threw an army together", it seems odd that it worked so well for you...
ANOTHER sneaky master trick, to downplay all your accomplishments as simple luck.

Gosh, we're learning a lot about proper Master protocol on this thread.

(Not that we have enough evidence to put Nwojedi into the master class. This trick is also used by wannabe masters to intimidate opponents.)
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

For comparison purposes, the runner up at Mad Town used a preparation routine very similar to what Spider Poison described.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion