Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 7th, 2016, 03:55 PM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart
Good threads regarding casual play?

The stuff on the site is great, but a lot of is obviously geared towards playing "competitively" even though it seems like a lot of people play with their kids in a more casual setting, and thats definitely what i am mostly interested in (like 99%, only an academic interest in theoryscape type stuff), is there a good thread somewhere, or some old threads or links to stuff relating to that, I've seen the "themed army" thread but not much more, would love to hear more from people who play casually and perhaps make stuff up, proxy in things, pretend units are other units, the kinds of armies and maps and stuff they do, especially if they came to the game late and realised they couldnt (and shouldnt) lay out too much money on buying X copies of loads of units just to be able to build competitive armies of every type. Maybe people have cool ideas or variants which implement "singleton" only armies, or just whatever stuff would not fit in "competitive" Scape
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Good threads regarding casual play?

We used to use random armies quite often back when we still played classic.
There is a thread that has a bunch of random army lists.
I know my old ones for classic are there and some of my old C3G lists also I believe. Those are severely out dated.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I build "Defend the Fortress" maps and the like. I really want to run a long-standing RPG-esque campaign, but I've got nobody to do it with. I would recommend something like that, or try creating your own scenarios. I once played a great 3-player Capture The Flag game with Glyphs of Brandar. I don't have much in the ways of Common Squads, and my only real competitive armies I can make are Stingers/Q9/Raelin, and 4th Mass + Knights. I would suggest drafting armies, as that could be pretty cool and fun. Sometimes, I do extremely large flat "Plains of Death" maps with 1000 or more points per side, you could try that out. I would also suggest looking at a few threads about role-playing games, @TheAverageFan did a nice one if I remember correctly. If you want to get even more casual, I would try mixing AotP with 'Scape.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

All my superhero cards and terrain is well suited towards casual play. I've always felt that there's an argument towards this concept of whether you see this game as a board game or a miniature combat game. Most of this site appears to be geared towards board game, thus competitive play. There are a few of us here that don't subscribe to that style and enjoy more of a creative style to our gaming. Creating scenario themed terrain, rules to throw objects, and elaborate story themed games is what keeps me involved in Heroscape. In other words, Heroscape is and can be much more than a board game. So there is material here. You just have to dig a little bit for it.
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

The reason. you don't see a lot of formal discussion on non-competitive play is that it is hard to write about non competitive play.

The best examples are likey found in the official rule books. Both sotm and bftud master sets have Excellent scenario based play. You might want to start there.

Drafting or School yard pick is also lots of fun especially if you come in with a limited selection. You might find this is the most fun since the draft is as interesting as the game.

Finally just keep poking around the "other modification" section and you are bound to find something that tickets your fancy.

PS Don't knock the competitive article too much. Knowing how to use an army is as important in fun games as it is in competitive.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

You got me thinking. I wonder if anyone else on this site has ever played a non balanced game? In other words where one side has more points than the other on purpose. I've done this mainly to fit certain story driven scenarios. Playing an unbalanced game, especially when you're handicapped point wise, can definitely be both fun and challenging. I guess many might consider that idea fits mainly into the "casual" game style of play. But there's nothing that casual about it. I always try to win in situations such as this. Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
You got me thinking. I wonder if anyone else on this site has ever played a non balanced game? In other words where one side has more points than the other on purpose. I've done this mainly to fit certain story driven scenarios. Playing an unbalanced game, especially when you're handicapped point wise, can definitely be both fun and challenging.
Pretty much any scenario including the castle is highly unbalanced point-wise at my house. I've also done scenarios playing on height or some other good terrain advantage and fight infinite waves of enemies, just to see how many it takes to bring your army down.

I like experimenting in scenario and casual play. A lot of non-competitive units like the Shades and Deathstalkers fare much better in different game modes, so I like to mix it up a lot.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old February 8th, 2016, 01:24 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

This map is really cool. A campaign style thing you can play with your kids:

The Sunken Crypt
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:50 PM

sword4hire knows what's in an order marker sword4hire knows what's in an order marker

I think it is misleading here that competitive = tournament grade.

As long as the armies are closely matched, games can be pretty competitive.

The coolest thing, to me, about Heroscape is that you can play however you want. All heroes? All squads? All melee? Pre-made? Draft? A combination? Thematic? Mixing genres? Go for it. All will work.

The point system fails in a few instances, but most of the time, if points add up and units have complementary units they are designed for with them, battles should be pretty fair.

We are currently doing a 'tournament' with a bunch of well-themed weak armies. We don't associate people to the armies. Whomever wants to play it at the time plays it. Usually, it is just my son and me. Some of them, like Master Woo and his horde of monks and Ninjas, are really bad. But it is still really fun to give the old college try. Plus we get to bust out the figures that usually just sit in their boxes. Most of the games are very competitive.

When my son was small (4-5), we would even play single hero vs hero sometimes, and that was fun.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:24 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I wrote this a while back:

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

I didn't respond to this post earlier because I thought the OP's situation (limited collection) and his disclaimer ("
I've seen the "themed army" thread but not much more, would love to hear more from people who play casually and perhaps make stuff up, proxy in things, pretend units are other units, the kinds of armies and maps and stuff they do, especially if they came to the game late and realised they couldnt (and shouldnt) lay out too much money on buying X copies of loads of units just to be able to build competitive armies of every type.") ruled me out as a respondent, as the Gang is fortunate to have tons of both. However, I can't help feeling that some of our Map/Scenario ideas might be of use . . . Our thread: The New York City Gang Of Four.

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:41 AM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

Somewhere in here is a great post that might apply to you ..I don't know where it is but the thing is ( I am one of these types of players ) HeroScape IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT !! the core rules give you the ability to do just about anything with anything ..Proxi's to Customs is part of what keeps this game going..I believe most of the people still playing it are doing it their way with house rules and custom figures. HeroScape can be played like Chess or as complicated as D&D with ligit figures or paper cut outs and that includes Land.. Just have fun..If you look up my main thread I am trying to share my relaunch of HeroScape club. There will be customs and scenarios.

ALL ARE ONE
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:36 PM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

I think some of you missed my point, or maybe I made it badly but basically I am with you Lord IVD, I'm not confused about this, I'm just asking to see where there might be more threads of others talking about it. Maybe its like the other guy said, its harder to write stuff about casual play? Seems weird to me, I love reading stuff on other sites about families making games up with their kids, posting photos and session reports, ways theyve made armies out of what they had. I'm not dissing "competitive" play or "tournament" play, its just that for me, right now, my kids are so young that it really is an utter waste of time to worry about army synergies and buying 5 squads of this or that to "do it right", they just like the cool looking minis stomping round the board, and slowly they are seeing how dice rolling works and how a game might come of it.

I was more just looking as to whether maybe I'd missed a whole stickied thread or group or sub forum or web page where other people post stuff like that. I've found a few on other sites, I just expected this site to have more, but it seems like the content here is more driven towards "non casual play".

No criticism was meant or implied! Nor am I struggling to work out how to enjoy the game, in many ways I've been thinking about and playing "Heroscape" in other forms all my life, havent we all made up d6 based minis on a grid games since we were kids? I know I have. This thread is not "help me I dont know what to do with the stuff I have", its more like "where is more stuff posted by moms and dads enjoying their 5 year old running round the house threatening you with Tor Kul Na"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion