Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
'Scaper Family Maps

This is where I'll stash the Scaper family maps on the rare occasions we put something together we think is good enough to share.

My first finished product. I'm very pleased with this one:
The Fallen Pier

The DL has been fixed; now this image appears on the front page:

Discussion begins in this post.

KidScaper's entry into the contest, Plateau of Doom:

Original OP:
Spoiler Alert!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; May 16th, 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: fixing link...
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 'Scaper Family Maps

Very nice! I like the look of it, but height is not spread well- it is all on level 1, except for the hill. The hill also is not blocked well LoS-wise. They can shoot to the side easily, and demolish the road leading to the hill.

It takes 6 moves to get to the level 2 road/sand/etc- I would add height "in the way" (but still benefiting gameplay) to make it 2 movements for all units to get to the desired areas.

I would make a couple of edits on the hill, and with height if you plan on a V2. Otherwise, it looks quick paced and exciting to play on!

-Robber

Edit- Oh, and maybe battlements...
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
Very nice! I like the look of it, but height is not spread well- it is all on level 1, except for the hill. The hill also is not blocked well LoS-wise. They can shoot to the side easily, and demolish the road leading to the hill.

I would make a couple of edits on the hill, and with height if you plan on a V2. Otherwise, it looks quick paced and exciting to play on!

-Robber

Edit- Oh, and maybe battlements...
Thanks, Robber.

Your checklist, all the way down to the battlements, is a good one and those are things I thought about. I wanted to make something that didn't feel like a variation of other maps, but was still an enjoyable, interesting and fair map.

Conceptually, my thought was the glyph would pull action to one end, the height to the other, and the relatively short distance between start zones could pull armies right through the middle. The "height" end of the map is the one I'm struggling with most.

Anyway, thanks for your input. No doubt you're mostly right.

= =
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks. The only thing I am really worried about is the lack of height approaching the middle. If I can see the PDF, I can figure out where to adjust terrain to get some more on level 2.

(As in- there probably are unneeded tiles underneath the rock 24-hexes or... somewhere).
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I've received some excellent advice, from Robber and from a wonderful 'Scaper who's been around a long time but appears to prefer PMs to posts, and I will be revising as soon as I can get around to it.

= =
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Problems 1 and 2 I have no idea about, but to upload the build instructions, download CutePFD, then print the build instructions, and when it asks you what printer you want, select CutePDF. That will turn them into a pdf file that you can then upload here (Downloads=>Add=>Browse=>Add file).

As far as the map itself, did you consider making the road run all the way from the height to the glyph? I think that might help keep the action swinging across the map.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Problems 1 and 2 I have no idea about, but to upload the build instructions, download CutePFD, then print the build instructions, and when it asks you what printer you want, select CutePDF. That will turn them into a pdf file that you can then upload here (Downloads=>Add=>Browse=>Add file).

As far as the map itself, did you consider making the road run all the way from the height to the glyph? I think that might help keep the action swinging across the map.
Thanks, Killometer. It told me it didn't like the file type when I tried that originally with CutePDF, but I'll figure it out. I need to change the map anyway, so it's something I can delay worrying about for the moment.

I like the idea of extending the road. That's one of a couple changes I want to make.

= =
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Ok, major overhaul complete.

The new Fallen Pier:

I wanted to preserve the relatively flat, plain aspect of the map. I think there are interesting choices to be made here and I wanted to let the map be background music and not the main event.

1: Every hex is relevant now. By shifting from the traditional rectangle to this arrow shape, the dormant top corners are gone and the "beach" water now becomes hexes over which ranged attackers can fire at a glyph holder.

2: I shrunk the height end of the map.

3: I made the random glyph Wannok, to stop someone from camping on height, and I added a treasure glyph.

4: I extended the road. This combined with (2) means that both ends of the map are accessible on the road.

5: I moved some water and opened the center area, making it a little easier to pursue a strategy involving rushing through the center of the map.

Thanks for your input, all, now I'm ready to do some playtesting.

= =
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I like the changes that you've made, and the features you kept. The new footprint is very cool, and I like how the road runs the full width of the map, connecting two of the key strategic features (height and Wannok). Forces look pretty well protected while in their start zone, but fall into quite the firing range one they reach the road, but the broad swath of road near the center of the map looks like it will help keep everyone mobile.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
3. How to upload the build instructions
Use a virtual printer, it will create a Pdf file rather than actually print on paper.
You can use CutePdf as recommended by Killometer.
Another good choice is PrimoPDF which is recommended by AliasQTip.
I personnaly use doPdf.

Quote:
1. How to get information (my name, etc.) onto the image of the build instructions
In VirtualScape: open the Configuration menu, select the Document Parameters... command and introduce your name and other infos.
(Note: I am not 100% sure what the menu and command names are, because I personally use the french version.)

Quote:
2. How to get the image with my name & the map name onto the first page
Very easy with VirtualScape.
Open a 3D-view window of your map, and the 3D-view will automatically be onto the first page when you print.
Of course, if you use a virtual Pdf printer, the 3D-view will be onto the first page of the pdf.

To create a 3D-view, use the button with 3 gold bars.
You can turn, move and zoom the picture, with buttons, arrows keys, shift+arrows, Page Up & Page Dn keys.
You may also generate a high quality picture: clic the button with a camera (may take a long time, be patient).
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thanks, dalu.

As you can see from my second version of this map I did resolve a number of those questions, though I'm still working on some of the others. Can CutePDF, which is what I'm using, merge PDFs?

Thank you for the help, dalu, and thank you for the kind words, Killometer.

= =
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Promising Cartographer

It looks nice! I noticed it doesn't use the full terrain of RotV, however. I'd add a few hexes on lv 2 on the approach to the central road section and maybe instead of the water tiles. This would make height less contested and would spread figures throughout the map.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios