Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old February 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: If Deathchasers can win a tournament, why can't Macdirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
There is more risk using the MacDirks, who I think perhaps compare more interestingly with the Greenscales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I love the depth of earlier responses. The simple answer is that the MacDirks have a critical vulnerability which the DCoT lack - their Champion. Armies with critical vulnerabilities have a difficult time winning tournaments.
I agree with Aldin.

~ DS, noting from the deep

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

Plus, I think you're missing that the MacDirks don't get to "switch" their champion during the game. At the beginning of the game, choose one champion for all MacDirks for the entire game.

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Wow - a lot of stuff happened in the 10 minutes I wasn't looking at this. Most of you said the same thing, so I'll respond to Killometer who seems to have said the most:
What can I say, exept I love me some Death Chasers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercastus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer
Since you're not hiding your bonding hero with the DCs, they'll usually get at least as many attacks per turn as the MacDirks, if not more-Double Attack from the Pulverizer or Flail Hurricane from the Warhulk can bump them to 5+ (depending on the love your d20's giving you).
I'm only suggesting that you bond with Eldgrim twice for the entire game, and one of those is likely to be before you're close enough to attack anything. The rest of the game you're bonding with Gilbert, who can attack if he wants to. And, he probably should attack more than he should with the KoW, since you're a bit less concerned about him dying.
Yeah, I guess that once Sir G's in the thick of things with the MacDirks he can be used more aggressively, since there's a pretty good chance that most of the MacDirks have moved up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
Quote:
Since the DC's bond with someone who boosts their defense from more than 1 space away you don't have to spend as many attack-free OMs moving Raelin.
Conceded, though I only think Raelin is going to take 1, maybe 2 OMs away, and she takes the same amount if the Death Chasers play her.
If you keep Raelin parked too much, either you're limiting where your MacDirks go, or you're not geting her full potential. With Nerak in tow, you can park Raelin as a lay-over on the way to the action, then zip Nerak to cover whatever area needs a boost. And any DC sitting in both aura's gets a defense of 5.

Quote:
Quote:
The DCs don't have to wait for their attack to be 4-they come with that out of the gate-and they don't lose it if someone dies.
Again, the MacDirks' attack is going to be 3 right away, which means they're throwing as many dice as the Death Chasers are right out of the gate. I agree that losing Eldgrim screws them, but I think there are very few matchups where that's going to be a legitimate scare early on. And against figures like Cyprien / AE, you can always still choose Gilbert as the champion, and even try to wound him with Raelin if you want when you move her.
The MacDirk's champ gets a reeeeally big target on him, and if anyone does break through (whether to Eldgrim or Sir Gilbert) it can go real bad real fast.

Quote:
Quote:
I think that the DCs' bonding heroes generally play better with them than the MacDirks' do. The Ogres are more comfortable being in the thick of things than Sir Gilbert and your recommended use of Eldgrim, and Nerak's aura is significantly better than any of the human champions, imo.
I think Gilbert is more comfortable in the thick of the battle than he gets credit for, especially with the MacDirks. He has better survivability than either the Pulverizer or MBS, and grants an attack boost. With the KoW, Dispatch is absolutely critical, but with the MacDirks it's a bit less critical and more of a bonus. Gilbert might need to be played a bit different than players might be used to, but I think he can serve that purpose, and he isn't going to kill himself or any of your guys.
Fair 'nuff (I guess this would be as good a time as any to come clean that the Warhulk and I are BFFs ).

Quote:
Quote:
Lastly, Battle Rush is HUGE-especially on what is the current standard tourney map size and style. You get to bring out everyone, and you know what you're getting, whereas with Sir G you only get to move one squad and you're reliant on the dice (works for my brother, not me-I've never rolled more than 3 symbols, he pretty consistantly gets 4-5 )
Conceded again that Battle Rush is a big deal. Jandar's Dispatch can be though, too. The MacDirk's are really fast when you add Dispatch - fast enough to stay out of the threat range of some figures and gain the first strike, and then they get all the other Dispatch benefits (like fording rivers, disengaging without losing attacks, bringing up reserves when you don't need to move, etc.). I think Dispatch can help the MacDirks get high ground quite often. They'll be averaging 7 move, which is pretty darn fast. And while the extra movement of a figure is probably cancelled out for the game by Battle Rush, the extra attack each Order Marker isn't.
I think Dipatch vs. Battle Rush is pretty even, and mostly depends on personal preference. A vote for the DCs is that it is pretty cool when your opponent's eyes go wide and they say "Wait, all of them?!"

Quote:
Again - all of this is theory though. I've just started screwing around with using Eldgrim this way. Good discussion, though.
Good theory, it looks like. I've always loved Highland Fury, and spent quite a while trying to (fruitlessly) get it right. I may have to gve this a try.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; February 15th, 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: vBulletin Messenger: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to killercactus again" Meh!
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Use a low-life hero, you could have problems, use a higher-life hero, you are introducing other problems. There is more risk using the MacDirks, who I think perhaps compare more interestingly with the Greenscales.

Quote:
I love the depth of earlier responses. The simple answer is that the MacDirks have a critical vulnerability which the DCoT lack - their Champion. Armies with critical vulnerabilities have a difficult time winning tournaments.

~Aldin, hunting human champions
I think this might be the real reason, and I also wonder if the Greenscales will just be a "flash in the pan" kind of army that most people didn't know how to beat yet (kill the dragon). I went 2-4 with them at the TTO, after going 5-1 at the GC indy championship.

Good comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
There is more risk using the MacDirks, who I think perhaps compare more interestingly with the Greenscales.
Quote:
I agree with Aldin.

~ DS, noting from the deep
I agree with you guys, too, but the difference between the Greenscales and this is that the Greenscales' champion is out there attacking you, in the thick of the battle. If you're using Eldgrim, he's buried in the back of the starting zone, away from the battle, which doesn't really make it easy to target him, especially if there's a ruin or something he can hide behind. I might even go so far as to wall him off with MacDirks until those ones are ready to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
If you keep Raelin parked too much, either you're limiting where your MacDirks go, or you're not geting her full potential. With Nerak in tow, you can park Raelin as a lay-over on the way to the action, then zip Nerak to cover whatever area needs a boost. And any DC sitting in both aura's gets a defense of 5.
True that Nerak can stay in tow, but remember that everytime you activate him, you aren't activating an Ogre/MBS, so it's not all that beneficial to keep moving him. I can't argue that his aura isn't nice, though.

Quote:

The MacDirk's champ gets a reeeeally big target on him, and if anyone does break through (whether to Eldgrim or Sir Gilbert) it can go real bad real fast.
Yes it can, but I think if Eldgrim is so far away from the battle it really becomes less of a concern. Anyone who has played against Kato or Kurrok know how tough it can be to get at those important pieces if the player is protecting them well by blocking off paths to them and tying down enemy figures, and they're usually in the front of the starting zone, and they have to be able to see. Eldgrim is going to be as far back as possible, or behind a ruin because he doesn't have to see anything.

Quote:
I think Dipatch vs. Battle Rush is pretty even, and mostly depends on personal preference. A vote for the DCs is that it is pretty cool when your opponent's eyes go wide and they say "Wait, all of them?!"
That was kind of how I felt when I started thinking about this, though I admit that Dispatch is at the mercy of the dice. But Battle Rush doesn't come with all of those cool little Dispatch tricks.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
Plus, I think you're missing that the MacDirks don't get to "switch" their champion during the game. At the beginning of the game, choose one champion for all MacDirks for the entire game.
That only applies to Highland Fury though - they can still bond with any Champion they want each turn with Human Champion Bonding.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Boodog knows what's in an order marker Boodog knows what's in an order marker

It really comes down to sound effects. Are you better at making guttural, mucus-y, orc sounds, or can you effect a decent Scottish accent? That should point you to the right army choice.

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I posted my thoughts here.

Old February 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

I ahven't read a piece of strategy in a while, and this one was quite interesting. I really like the idea of using Eldgrim to boost the Warriors' attack. They'd begin round 2 with 4/5 attack, which is great if it stays that way for the entire game.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to killercactus again.
Excellent post, and a good comparison overall. I like the strategy - going with Eldgrim over the obvious Alistaire - though at higher point-totals, I might use both!

I'll definitely be giving my Scottish homeboys another shot...the first in years.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

This thread raises some good points that definitely make me want to bring out the MacDirks again (though to actually play them competitively I'd need another squad). However, I will say the biggest advantage the Death Chasers have is simply points.

I've found it's pretty good practice to field a dozen figures of a given squad. So either four three-man squads or three four-man squads. For the MacD's, 3 x 80 = 240. For DC's, 4 x 55 = 220. That 20 points is HUGE when trying to fill out the rest of your army.

Going with the Eldgrim build (which I'm not convinced is that great), say you throw in Sir Gilbert to mirror Battle Rush. You're already up to 375 points, leaving 125 (at 500 'standard,' though I'm digging 510 a lot these days) for Raelin/ranged support. Not a lot of room.

Chasers on the other hand can do just fine running their two least expensive heroes, Me-Burq-Sa and Nerak. Total: 320. Wrap it in Bacon for good measure, and Syvarris or the Krav fit in perfectly in a 'standard' competitive game.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

You might want to run Finn with one squad and Thorgrim with another, so you can have boosted Attack and Defense with alternating squads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles