Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Long Island Heroscape League- April Superhero PHOTOS!!!

"Go not to the Elves for answers; for they will say both no and yes."
--Chas' favorite J.R.R. Tolkien button

I'd be glad to take Good Army #2, since I wasn't able to use the Eilan Sidhe the only time I was able to get them to the table, so I still need answers about using these Celtic gods well...

Chas
aka "Mortal Heir To Elven Wisdom"
(Seriously, that's the translation of my full name)
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Re: Long Island Heroscape League- September LotR Game Day

September 2014 Game Day!!

Where:
Legendary Realms Games, Plainview, NY

When:
Saturday, September 20th.

Time:
11:00 - Pregame meetup for lunch at Panera Bread
(located a 1/2 mile West of the store).

12:00 - Set up and start playing. We'll set a tentative end time for Heroscape of 6:00.

6:00+ For those of us who can stay later we can play a variety of non-Heroscape games afterwards. I'll bring a few along with me. We'll probably do pizza for dinner again this month.

This month our theme will be "The Lord of the Rings"!

We'll be playing several games starting with Heroscape and then branching out into all sorts of LotR themed games.

More details to come!

Grishnakh

Our normal, monthly club meeting is always the third Saturday of each month at Legendary Realms Games in Plainview, NY (unless there is a conflict with a holiday). If you'd like more information PM me.

I'll be updating this thread with more information as time goes along.

Old August 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

This sounds fantastic. Count me in. I have a few of the old SaberTooth Games, Inc. Lord of the Rings - Tradeable Miniatures Game (LotR-TMG) figurines that I can bring as customized HeroScape units if someone can produce new stat cards for them. Otherwise they could be used as proxies for the Grut Orcs and The Fellowship characters, which reminds me that - a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, and a ranger all walked into a tavern together and the bartender says, "What is this . . . some kind of a joke?" Anyway, hope to see all ya'all (that's South Jrrzee speak) on the 20th.
~ john G.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; August 21st, 2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quick update on my part. Working on a couple of LotR scenarios that will probably accommodate 4 players. That will include myself, my son, and two other people. I might also bring along an older Bridge of Khazad-Dum scenario that I have that uses the Melee Wizard rules. Unless I have time to convert it over to Heroscape.
Old August 25th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Titleless

The first scenario I'm working on is set in wooded Ithilien and is a 4 player game. Sauron's troops are maneuvering through Ithilien towards Gondor and are set upon by Faramir and a band of Rangers. Frodo and Sam will most likely take part in the battle, as well as Gollum. Definitely lots of Orcs, Orc archers, and maybe some wolves.

Combination of Sherman Davies figures and some of my own creations, using my own figures and custom terrain.

As I mentioned I might bring along my old Bridge of Khazad-Dum scenario for Melee Wizard. That is if I can find in in the basement! Here's a link to some photos of the game:

http://www.meleewizards.com/scenarios_bridge.html
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

As usual Grish, I'm sure that the photos don't do it justice since your work is just too awesome to describe.

Even though, I am not a fan of multiplayer HeroScape games, I realize that they can encourage cooperation when they are divided into two opposing teams and not the "free-for-all's" that I've experienced in the past. Chas has also praised the concept, which they use often at NYCGO4 events.

The Ithillian Woods Meeting Engagement (henceforth called: "IWME") sounds interesting and will be fun for the participants. Let me know what LotR miniature figures you would like me to bring for you to borrow for this. I included an inventory of what extras I have available for this event as an attachment to my email last week which detailed the scenario that I was proposing for the group.

IF four of you are going to be engaged in this IWME battle for a few hours, THEN what are the rest of us supposed to do, sit around and play the LotR Trivial Pursuit OR the LotR Risk games that you previously mentioned? OR should each mini-group of four come up with their own LotR/HS scenario for a lengthy multiplayer game? I am unfamiliar with how the planning and preparations for upcoming events are handled by the LINY League at Legendary Realms. Please let me know your feelings on this since I've gotten very little response to the email I sent out to The Group, to which I did expect to hear some general discussion of the Pro's & Con's and debate as to whether to slightly tweak, greatly adjust, or totally reconstruct my proposal.

Is any one still reading this thread and planning to attend this Lord of the Rings Themed HeroScape event on Sat September 20, 2014 in Plainview, NY?

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; August 25th, 2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarified mistyped comment
Old August 25th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
As usual Grish, I'm sure that the photos don't do it justice since your work is just too awesome to describe.

Even though, I am not a fan of multiplayer HeroScape games, I realize that they can encourage cooperation when they are divided into two opposing teams and not the "free-for-alls" that's I've experienced in the past. Chas has also praised the concept, which they used at NYCGO4 events.

The Ithillian Woods Meeting Engagement (henceforth called "IWME") sounds interesting and will be fun for the participants. Let me know what LotR miniature figures you would like me to bring for you borrow for this. I included an inventory of what extras I have available for this event as an attachment to my email last week which detailed the scenario that I was proposing for the group.

IF four of you are going to be engaged in this IWME battle for a few hours, THEN what are the rest of us supposed to do, sit around and play the LotR Trivial Pursuit OR the LotR Risk games that you previously mentioned? OR should each mini-group of four come up with their own LotR/HS scenario for a lengthy multiplayer game? I am unfamiliar with how the planning and preparations for upcoming events are handled by the LINY League at Legendary Realms. Please let me know your feelings on this since I've gotten very little response to the email I sent out to The Group, to which I did expect to hear some Pro's & Con's in a general discussion to either slightly tweak, greatly adjust, or totally reconstruct my proposal.

Is any one still reading this thread and planning to attend this Lord of the Rings Themed HeroScape event on Sat September 20, 2014 in Plainview, NY?
Here's the typical way our monthly games work. We meet around 11:00 - 11:30 to eat, then we get to the store to set up around 12:00 - 12:30. Depending on the theme for the day we'll play large scale, multiplayer games, or three or four smaller games. That will take up the afternoon. We'll eat pizza from a store next door around 6:00 and then we'll play other types of games until we are tired and decided to stop. This has been as early as 7:00 and as late as 10:00. It just depends on how everyone feels.

As for our next game day both Sherman Davies and myself will be bringing a 4 player game. I'll speak for myself here but my game will be two players vs two players, good side vs evil side. What Sherman Davies has planned I'm not too sure, however I can't imagine it will be a free for all. That does't match the theme of the day at all.

As for 4 player, team games, well, they are some of the best Heroscape games I've ever played.

As for minis for my games, as I stated, at the moment I have all the figures I need. If I have time to come up with a second scenario/map and need figures I'll let you know.

If you'd like to bring a scenario of your own design along with the figures that would be great! I just couldn't assertain from your email last week what exactly you were thinking about doing. Just let us know a little about it, number of players, that kinda thing before hand.

As for not getting back to you, well, it's a very busy time of year. GenCon, back to school, etc. Sorry about that. Our email list is a bit quite at the moment.

As for who's coming don't expect a hard number. There'll be at least 6-8 players, maybe more, maybe less. That's the nature of this group.

After dinner I had suggested other LotR games to stay with the theme. But we don't have to do that.

Hope all that helps!
Old August 25th, 2014, 03:46 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
What Sherman Davies has planned I'm not too sure, however I can't imagine it will be a free for all.
If orcs could learn to read a couple posts above their own, they'd know what I have planned. Stoopid orcs.

Quote:
As for minis for my games, as I stated, at the moment I have all the figures I need.
Great! My suggestion is that whatever scenario(s) we decide to play, the person organizing the scenario be chiefly responsible for supplying the stuff needed to play, or at least contact someone else if they're missing anything. This includes things like minis, army cards, maps, etc... I have cards and minis for the stuff I own and am planning on bringing, but if @Grishnakh or @Johngee plan on bringing a scenario they'll need to print out their own cards, bring minis, etc...

My main concern at this point is making sure our plans will cover everyone. With my proposed 4-player scenario and Grish's proposed 4-player scenario, the 8 players who've said they will be there will have something to play in, but @Sir Dendrik and @WarBanner are still unconfirmed. It's hard to plan an event like this when we aren't sure how many people will be there.
Old August 25th, 2014, 03:49 PM

WarBanner knows what's in an order marker WarBanner knows what's in an order marker

I can help with that; it turns out my wife is working that Saturday, so I'm going to have to bow out. I really wish I could come, sorry.

Krug rhymes with "hug", not "dude"
Old August 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Sorry you can't make it, WarBanner. Hope we can see you in October!
Old August 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
What Sherman Davies has planned I'm not too sure, however I can't imagine it will be a free for all.
If orcs could learn to read a couple posts above their own, they'd know what I have planned. Stoopid orcs.
Grishnakh will rend your bones for that comment you Elf Lover!

Actually, you are correct. I know exactly what you have planned and can't wait to see it in action. You'll see I linked to your post in the email I sent out to the group.

Quote:
Quote:
As for minis for my games, as I stated, at the moment I have all the figures I need.
Great! My suggestion is that whatever scenario(s) we decide to play, the person organizing the scenario be chiefly responsible for supplying the stuff needed to play, or at least contact someone else if they're missing anything. This includes things like minis, army cards, maps, etc... I have cards and minis for the stuff I own and am planning on bringing, but if @Grishnakh or @Johngee plan on bringing a scenario they'll need to print out their own cards, bring minis, etc…
I agree. Come on guys! Download Sherman's cards, make a scenario, build a map, printout the cards you need, find the figures and bring something to play. All of you have dwarves and orcs, make a scenario where Balin is clearing out the Mines of Moria, something! (Actually that sounds pretty good. A battle between Dwarves and Orcs on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum.)

Quote:
My main concern at this point is making sure our plans will cover everyone. With my proposed 4-player scenario and Grish's proposed 4-player scenario, the 8 players who've said they will be there will have something to play in, but @Sir Dendrik and @WarBanner are still unconfirmed. It's hard to plan an event like this when we aren't sure how many people will be there.
Perhaps we'll hear from others soon.

Right now we are covered for 8 players but just two scenarios.

One last thing Sherm, how come you never make a card for Grishnakh?
Old August 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we'll hear from others soon.

Right now we are covered for 8 players but just two scenarios.
If @Sir Dendrik attends we'll have 9 players, in which case I can sit out the games and act as a sort of GM/adviser much like I did when I ran my superhero game last year.

Quote:
One last thing Sherm, how come you never make a card for Grishnakh?
Believe it or not, I started on one late last night since the character is one of johngee's requests. I won't be able to finish too many of those requests before our gameday, but Grishnakh will be one of them, I promise.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events