Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:08 AM

theats has disabled reputation
Theats' Hex Customs (Picture Heavy)

After getting my own apartment, and convincing my wife to allow me, I began pulling my Heroscape out from old boxes. I recalled the old flocking and paint jobs that I had seen and decided to take a go at it.

I couldn't afford flock, so I bought colored sand. I started out using super glue as well, but that quickly added up. That said, the superglue pieces (those used on swamp water and swamp tiles) did turn out better. I was also able to layer on different rocks.

I also realized those expensive model trees I bought back in the day deserved bases. Here is what came of it.

Having some friends over who had limited or non existent experience in the game, or table top gaming at all (one of my groomsmen and his girl friend) and my then fiance and I played a round. I will post a battle report and link it here. These pictures are just to showcase what it looked like before and after finishing treating most of my hexes.

The Battlefield. I like hexagons, and it seems like its cut out of Valhalla when I build maps this way

Surveying the battlefield from behind my wive's army

Weston loves the nights of his namesake. He uses them whenever we play. Any counter tactics against them would be appreciated

They didn't like the concept of the Airborne Elite being dropped unto height from turn one.

The remainder of these are various shots and angles to give you a feel for the terrain. This one here shows the difference from an Elmers treated grass hex and the swamp treated superglue hexes.

Showing the gravel beach hex type I made.

I modified my Marvelscape concrete for snow.

This shows some detail on a ruin that I painted over with black

The remaining pictures are from the current set up and size. I plan to play soon. The Complaints were that the map favored our side more for the last battle, and the river took too long to cross. This setup is on our new round table, which frees up more space in the apartment. It is smaller, which I don't like, but the wife does let me keep out the Scape on a permanent basis. Compromises.

Theophilus.
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:16 AM

RAGNAROK knows what's in an order marker RAGNAROK knows what's in an order marker RAGNAROK knows what's in an order marker
Re: Theats' Hex Customs (Picture Heavy)

It all looks good. Love the trees.
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:44 AM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The terrain looks awesome, but I can't get over how much the tiles remind me of marshmallow Peeps

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:20 AM

Thank you, and Peeps, shmeeps!

I made the trees using Rail Road trees from a Hobbytown USA. Using Elmers Tri Fold foam board, and an Xacto knife, I cut out hexagons the size of a glyph. I painted them Black, then Green. I flocked out from the base of the trees in three directions, applying 'shrubbery' around the base of it to conceal where it meets the tile.

I also have one penny inside of each Hex to weigh it down a bit. The conifer trees are my favorite, and I use them to take up space on the edge of a map, or to make a dynamic terrain piece in the center. If I make a flat field, the deciduous trees 'plug' into the map, like any hex would. It makes for quick customization to the maps.

Theophilus.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Really great looking stuff!
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby!

I like that colored sand. Where did you get it? If it's less expensive than actual flocking I'm definitely interested.

Good job. You have any plans on painting ripples and pools and stuff on your water tiles?

rolls one less defense die against figures who like him.
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:31 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I know that Walmart has it, but stores such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's probably carry it, also.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:42 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really great stuff here Theats
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:32 PM

Walmart or even a dollar store carry it sometimes. And I would like to augment my water but I am uncertain as to how.

Any suggestions?

Theophilus.
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Check out Grishnakh's terrain thread. He has a tutorial about improving water tiles.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles