Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old October 3rd, 2022, 07:23 PM

Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by randum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I think the best thing we can do is each try to recommend the game to 3-5 boardgame people who aren't necessarily heroscapers

The downside to this is they know you're going to buy it, so why would they? But yea, I'm going to do that anyway for non-local friends. I've already recommended it to my friends who I use to play with all the time, before I gave my whole set away to a friend a long time ago.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what my brother-in-law thought. Him and my nieces and nephew still get to play at my place without spending the money. I don't blame him. Not everyone has $250 to spend on a board game.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 07:25 PM

SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker

I'll echo that if there's any way to add a lower tier that just has the terrain, or the terrain plus a smaller subset of the minis - I'll buy it in a heartbeat to help fund. Can't afford to buy multiple copies of the whole set when multiple uniques rarely see play at our table, but I will happily pay for the ability to have more maps built at once, and I'm hoping somebody running the campaign can see this interest and get it added. The maps are the biggest thing that sets Heroscape apart from other miniatures games in my opinion, and that's the thing that draws the eye of potential new players.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 07:48 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This is the most rational, even-keeled conversation I’ve seen on this topic. Commendable, y’all.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 3rd, 2022, 08:31 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've been updating the spreadsheet embedded in the front post as we go, and added another plot with the current backer rate estimated from one update to the one before. You do see some levelling off in backer support as folks have anticipated. It looks like it will be quite close, although I expect two factors to impact the signup rate: opening preorders to the EU and the marketing efforts starting this week including reporting in the board game media. I've seen two mentions of the campaign outside Hasbro, whereas there were many more sources that covered the initial announcement at GenCon.

A month and half is a decent length for the campaign, and if things look close but not quite there (something like 5500+ backers with a week to go) I expect and hope Hasbro will step in somehow (new tier, marketing blitz, lower threshold, etc) to avoid all the sunk cost of developing the game so far and in recognition of their aggressive target (2x the HeroQuest one, which has been a successful reboot and franchise for them). I agree that the HeroQuest example of two tiers would've been better.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 09:43 PM

Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun

Other members have researched it and it doesn't seem likely Hasbro will change the rules of the campaign if it appears it won't fund.

They are willing to spend to advertise on Facebook. Would love to see them beef up their presence on BGG too. Between that, grass roots efforts, and outreach to social media influencers... hopefully it will be enough.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 10:02 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
This is the most rational, even-keeled conversation I’ve seen on this topic. Commendable, y’all.
[Cracks knuckles]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garenex View Post
There does seem to be a lot of goofiness in the way this whole campaign was done.
That is Hasbro's MO. Take something that should be simple and mess it up as badly as possible. The first mistakes were showing painted minis at Gencon and acting like the relaunch was a sure thing. This is the company that failed to sell a Rancor Monster toy, ironically, because they showed it unpainted.

The campaign does seem to be going poorly, and as other have pointed out, influencer endorsement/greater awareness is needed. There is an event at my local FLGS this weekend, maybe it will introduce some new players or inform some older ones about the relaunch.

I have some more hope to offer though, here goes: For the Haslab HISS tank, one of the extras was another figure. They haven't shown the colors yet, just the mold. Hasbro is going to have a vote where they show six different color choices, and let the people who backed it vote. The backer count showing on the US Pulse site is 26,772 (see why I'm not optimistic about having 1,433 currently with HS?) But at Hascon they said there were 29,000 votes being counted, and said it had something to do with international backers. That was before they expanded to more of the EU too.

Can someone in Europe log onto Pulse and check the backer count? I'm logged in in the US and it shows 1,439 right now.

Last edited by Hogg; October 3rd, 2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Update count
Old October 3rd, 2022, 10:33 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Did the Dragon Lady set up the campaign? I was told she was gone.
Another one must have stepped in after the first one was destroyed. Hasbro Dragon Ladies are apparently uncommon, not unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
I'd be spending more money if I had an option to do so without committing another $250 to get a third set with extra unique i don't need
Same here. I don't mind owning (paying for) two of everything unique, but not more than two. I'm disappointed there are no (un)commons (x2 min) in this first offering.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; October 3rd, 2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Quote:
Did the Dragon Lady set up the campaign? I was told she was gone.
Another one must have stepped in after the first one was destroyed. Hasbro Dragon Ladies are apparently uncommon, not unique.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 11:38 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I think it's an all or nothing because they are trying to see if this is going to be a viable product moving forward. A terrain only tier/option would tell them that the terrain might be a viable product, and a minis only option would tell them that the minis might be a viable product. If one or the other was disproportionally represented in the final tally they wouldn't be confident that Heroscape is a viable product on its own. It would introduce noise. They also probably want to have enough of a committed audience to pay all the initial startup costs of getting manufacturing going. After a successful campaign they will be much more likely to do things like terrain only packages, or faction packs.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 11:54 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I think it's an all or nothing because they are trying to see if this is going to be a viable product moving forward. A terrain only tier/option would tell them that the terrain might be a viable product, and a minis only option would tell them that the minis might be a viable product. If one or the other was disproportionally represented in the final tally they wouldn't be confident that Heroscape is a viable product on its own. It would introduce noise. They also probably want to have enough of a committed audience to pay all the initial startup costs of getting manufacturing going. After a successful campaign they will be much more likely to do things like terrain only packages, or faction packs.
I follow what you're saying, that's a realistic explanation.

And they've already put effort into making a diverse initial product, and by bringing back ticalla jungle they're showing a willingness to reproduce old content in some capacity. I think it's reasonable to assume they'll produce quality content in the future if this succeeds, and so exisiting fans going all in with this initial purchase is reasonable, even if there is still the difficulty with getting newbies on board with the price. I'm just surprised by how many people are off put by lack of paint, historical figs, and smaller tiers to the point that they'd rather not get involved at all and let the project fail. If someone truly doesn't have the funds, then heroscape is the least of their concerns, but I think everyone else should at least be more open to this initial offering before they throw it all away.
I was upset by lack of paint at the beginning and defended people who also were upset, but at the time I wasn't expecting so many people to be 100% out because of it
Old October 4th, 2022, 12:44 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I'm seeing ads on facebook. I'm making sure to "like" and post a positive comment about the game. I think those things help the algorithm and more people will see it.
Old October 4th, 2022, 12:53 AM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!

This campaign/launch really has left me scratching my head. I mean when I heard on Day 1 here on Heroscpers that Heroscape was back, I couldn't believe it and immediately told all my old HS buddies.

The game, unlike any other, we've loved, collected, played and followed for nearly two decades was back! We would finally get to see all those historical units we all knew would be amazing in 'Scape, we'd see more Marro, we'd see the new generals' factions fleshed out, and maybe we'd see some new terrain. It would be like C3V come to life! No more chasing down random miniatures, we'd have stuff designed and sculpted just for Heroscape! And we just knew Hasbro would learn from their marketing/distribution mistakes of the past.

First week. Unbelievable! That Dryborn dragon! Looks like some pretty cool things in that display. Can't wait to see much more detail. Unpainted? Hmmm, disappointing, but not insurmountable. I'm all on board!

Second week. Okay, interesting sci-fi mashup. Space pirates. Not my favorite, but I could see it fitting. Can't wait to see some Classic 'Scape next week!

End of second week. SONLEN!!!!! So good. This is going to be great. My wallet's going to hurt.

Third week. Wait. What? Warhammer?!!! I never liked or played Warhammer for a reason. Next.

Fourth week. Dryan. Nice! This definitely feels like it fits. Some great-looking designs. I bet these will be hardcore on the battlefield. My favorite so far.

Fifth week. Steampunk rodents? This is a joke, right? They must be saving the classic 'Scape stuff for the end. Historical units here we come!!

Sixth week. KDM bugs? I thought they said this wasn't only just to try to lure new players in but would give veteran 'Scapers plenty to identify with and feel connected to the original game we all have pined for since it ended. Maybe next week, right? At least hopefully in the launch we'll be able to buy the factions we want and leave the others on the shelves for those who like Warhammer and Redwall in their Heroscape.

Last couple of weeks. Terrain. Okay. Some interesting concepts. Looks like some really cool centerpieces.

Haslab launch. Absolute letdown. Crowdfunded. Hmmm. So we're at least going to have options. Oh. No we're not. No entry level. No tiers. No options. All or nothing. No add ons. The only real Classic 'Scape units blocked behind virtually unattainable backer levels. Terrain I mostly have a bunch of already. And I get to pay $250 for 80% I don't want or don't need. Take it or leave it.

Yeah, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I wish Hasbro would listen to those of us who are sharing what is keeping us from backing, but from what I've read, they aren't likely to. At least I have a bunch of the original game I love.

Sadly, I'm out.

Last edited by GamerDad74; October 4th, 2022 at 01:57 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion