Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old January 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

What dok said, plus only one nomination per post.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; January 29th, 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Thnaks dok, you're one the ball!
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM

MarroCloner164 knows what's in an order marker MarroCloner164 knows what's in an order marker

If I may, I would like to nominate my Dagger custom.

He's an absolute tank against range, but hit him once with a even a moderately good melee hero or squad an he'll probably take critical damage if not falling outright. Plus, his 2 attack won't get him anywhere much against melee.

Figure is a Warforged Scout, available for $1.49 at Coolstuffinc.com.

-MarroCloner164
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

There may be a formatting issue with the evenness of the separation between the powers on the card. There is definitely a typo and no, I will not tell you where.

No to reviewing Dagger.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Kicker View Post
Just found out about this thread via the front page post. First I must say good job guys. Its exciting to see so much interest in keeping the flames alive. Second I gave a quick read and might have missed it. I am curious if you have given consideration to allowing the cards that pass your testing to add some sort of symbol to them to indicate that they are an official SOV sanctioned card? Perhaps the SOV logo itself.
tcglkn is correct. Once we have a card that passes the review process we will give it our "stamp".

As far as Grut Witch goes, if we can get some mini info provided I would definitely be willing to review it. If we can't get that info I will have to vote no. I will hold off for a little bit to see what info is provided on the sculpt used.
Nal-Khan Witch from Mage Knight Sorcery, but she is more rare now than the Detonating Zombies.
I understand the issue with figure availabilty... I happened upon a figure that was the same sculpt as the grut witch in a $1 bucket of Mage Knight figures. Is there a different paint job that might be more readily available?

How much should an actual figure affect the review process? With the issues regarding availabilty of ALL figures now... should we start allowing 2D Proxies in competition so that ALL can have equal access to playable figures? This is an issue for all the custom groups now - SOV and CV3. I tend toward the idea of 2D Proxies as it would be our best way to recreate the "spirit" of classic scape... high availability for all. Sure some have an awesome 3D sculpt of the figure, but we all have a chance to PLAY it!

The other option is that you get your butt whooped in a tournament by an awesome custom figure and your sell your house trying to acquire a tournament legal version of it for... next time!

Thoughts?

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Figure availability is HUGE for the SoV (and the C3V). If it's too rare it will get voted down, that simple.

-insert signature here-
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

IMHO, 2D paper figures is not Heroscape to me, and until there are no more miniatures to be found, I for one will go with a miniature.

I understand what you are saying, and it is going to get harder to find miniature in quantity, but we want customs that people can go find a mini for and put it on the battlefields.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

I wholeheartedly agree with what my two fellow judges have already said.

I just want to add that as far as tournaments go, it is totally up to the tourney director for what is and what is not permissible in an army or on the battlefield (allow/not allow SoV or C3V).

Therefore, we (the SoV) can't make decisions based on what would or would not affect a tournament and the armies players could field there in terms of figure availability.

I understand your plight. I would hate for the tourney wins to go to the players who spend the most money on figs. However, this isn't MtG. You can make a great tourney army using even the older units. If having the newest units gives you the win than it isn't the units giving you the win, it is power creep giving you the win. (and if power creep happens because of us then we are incompetent; but I don't think the community would allow us to go that far)

So, I don't think you have anything to worry about from little ol' us.

Last edited by Lamaclown; January 29th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
I understand the issue with figure availabilty... I happened upon a figure that was the same sculpt as the grut witch in a $1 bucket of Mage Knight figures. Is there a different paint job that might be more readily available?

How much should an actual figure affect the review process? With the issues regarding availabilty of ALL figures now... should we start allowing 2D Proxies in competition so that ALL can have equal access to playable figures? This is an issue for all the custom groups now - SOV and CV3. I tend toward the idea of 2D Proxies as it would be our best way to recreate the "spirit" of classic scape... high availability for all. Sure some have an awesome 3D sculpt of the figure, but we all have a chance to PLAY it!

The other option is that you get your butt whooped in a tournament by an awesome custom figure and your sell your house trying to acquire a tournament legal version of it for... next time!

Thoughts?
There are a couple things going on here.

One, just because there is a custom unit doesn't mean it has to be allowed at any given event. I *hope* everything we put the SoV stamp on is good enough to appear at a tournament, but really that's up to the tournament directors.

Two, just because the SoV approves a unit doesn't mean, regardless of your local TD's decision, that *you* have to have it. Let's say hypothetically we approve dok's Zombie Hulk. Will I get one? Maybe. Maybe not. You see, we have no zombies in my house. Just never bought 'em when they were on store shelves.

So we don't have to have it. Life will go on. I'll still go to local tournaments & will do the best I can, zombie-free. I do ok. So does my kid.

The magic of HeroScape is that it's not the guy with the largest collection who wins.

All *that* said, neither the SoV or the C3V is doing the community any favors by approving units that are hard to get. It's important to both projects, as far as I'm concerned, that people who *want* the new units will have the opportunity to find them and buy them.

Years ago I played Magic: the Gathering. As you may know, Magic is often won by the guy who invested the money & time necessary to track down the right combination of cards. HeroScape doesn't work that way, and if C3V and SoV deliver on their missions, it won't in the future, either.

Here endeth my second lecture in two pages. I will now take a breath.

= =
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
There may be a formatting issue with the evenness of the separation between the powers on the card. There is definitely a typo and no, I will not tell you where.

No to reviewing Dagger.
Could that be clarified as a "No until the card is cleaned up"? If your only reason for rejecting it is a typo and spacing that is easily remedied. I understand aesthetics of the card are included in decisions but if Priscus can be allowed when it looks lousy why not this guy if the typo and formatting are fixed?

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

OK I've considered Dagger

I like what I see as a beginning of a cool custom idea but there are flaws on the card, like misspelled words and formatting issues...plus I think that 80 points is kind of high for a figure with 2 Def and 3 life.

So I vote NO to Review Dagger.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

No to reviewing Dagger.
Could that be clarified as a "No until the card is cleaned up"? If your only reason for rejecting it is a typo and spacing that is easily remedied. I understand aesthetics of the card are included in decisions but if Priscus can be allowed when it looks lousy why not this guy if the typo and formatting are fixed?
I have said all over the place that I'm not going to approve a card that's not edited and written well.

I don't know what I would have done if it was just a formatting issue. But I'm not going to start with 'provisional' refusals. They are what they are, designers can do with them - and the feedback, which in this case isn't much - what they want. I won't make any promises about what might happen if the unit comes back.

If you want to know how I approach the review process, I went into a *lot* of detail answering that question for Chardar when he asked it in the piece on the front page. The article is also linked in my sig.

= =
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

I forgott to post my opinion on Dagger.

I, like ZB, like the basic idea going on here.

There are, however, some issues with typos and such. But in addition to those, there is an issue with the wording of one of the abilities (Chosen Target) that could lead to some fogginess and rules lawyering (I know that rules lawyering can't be completely avoided but we can do what we can to help preclude it).

So, I have to vote NO to review Dagger.

EDIT:
BTW, I know it seems picky to be looking at formatting and such but, other reasons aside, we already have a backlog of figs to playtest so we probably will be a little more picky about passing units to review. This should be a comfort rather than a sourcce of contention. This way you know that onlhy the figs that really stand out will even get reviewed.

Last edited by Lamaclown; January 29th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs