Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 13th, 2023, 11:09 AM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: ryguy266's Customs-Rise of the Deathwalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
The new Deathwalkers look fun, and their sculpts are good finds. I would say that they're all comparable to their respective inspirations, so you balanced them fairly well. I have some specific thoughts, though.

Is 1k's Prototype supposed to stack across multiple Order Marker reveals? There's a certain interesting dynamic involved in an endgame unit that enjoys 10M/7A/7D stats for a single turn before inevitably perishing at the start of the next round.

I would bump up 2k's cost a touch. He's very similar to Guilty, but he trades 1 Range for an extra attack and Soulborg immunities, making him slight stronger defensively and significantly stronger offensively. Specifically, 2k achieves one-and-a-half times Guilty's attack die output for the same total points. Perhaps a 10-15 point increase would stop him from outclassing Guilty.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, Prototype is intended to stack. It's a tradeoff between building up to a 10/7/7 heavy hitter and having to put a full round of OMs on him. And, like you mentioned, a heavy hitter that's certain to die at the beginning on the next round.
I appreciate the suggestions on 2k. I think playtesting will probably determine a point increase. I don't think he's stronger defensively; an extra life on Guilty seems a lot more valuable than the handful of Soulborg immunities on 2k. My hope was that the range decrease might make up for the extra attack. That extra hex of range become a lot more valuable kiting 5-move figures that can't engage even if you don't kill them. But I have no idea if that will actually be the case! So I'll definitely be looking at a small point increase, or maybe dropping the range to 5. Then plays with 2k start to get really risky and exciting, which seems fun.
Old February 13th, 2023, 11:25 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
The new Deathwalkers look fun, and their sculpts are good finds. I would say that they're all comparable to their respective inspirations, so you balanced them fairly well. I have some specific thoughts, though.

Is 1k's Prototype supposed to stack across multiple Order Marker reveals? There's a certain interesting dynamic involved in an endgame unit that enjoys 10M/7A/7D stats for a single turn before inevitably perishing at the start of the next round.

I would bump up 2k's cost a touch. He's very similar to Guilty, but he trades 1 Range for an extra attack and Soulborg immunities, making him slight stronger defensively and significantly stronger offensively. Specifically, 2k achieves one-and-a-half times Guilty's attack die output for the same total points. Perhaps a 10-15 point increase would stop him from outclassing Guilty.
How fun! These feel very "on-brand".

Blue Trails' makes a good observation on total loser's Deathwalker 1000's ability. If the intent is not to have them stack (as amusing as that would be), the wording could be revised:

Quote:
When revealing a numbered order marker on this card, you may add that number to Deathwalker 1000’s Move, Attack, and Defense value for the rest of the round until another order marker is revealed or the end of the round.
Regardless, it is a clever way of giving him 1 defense without him being a complete waste.

Another interesting idea is having the modified value carry across rounds, only changing with order markers. For example, revealing your 3rd order marker gives Deathwalker 1000 a defense value of 4, and then you can leave him idling for several rounds (holding a glyph or something) with a constant defense of 4 until you activate him again. However, it could get hard to remember the last order marker value used if you leave him idle for many, many rounds. If it does reset each round, leaving him idle would mean he has a defense of 1 for most of the time.

in addition to a fun Guilty alternative, Deathwalker 2000 also looks like an older version of Deathwalker 8000, although I might prefer drafting Deathwalker 2000 due to a steady number of attacks in lieu of the dependency on scoring wounds.

As for his point value, while Deathwalker 2000 has soulborg immunities, he only has 1 life (as opposed to Guilty's 2 lives). To me, this seems weaker defensively and significantly stronger offensively; a higher-risk Guilty alternative, which, again, feels very on-brand. The current cost seems like a good starting point.

EDIT: I missed your response; thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by Myriadite; February 13th, 2023 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Ninja'd
Old February 13th, 2023, 12:33 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
How fun! These feel very "on-brand".
Glad you like them! The minis look really good, and I think the high risk of playing Deathwalkers might be more fun when you only risk sinking 20-60 points on a bad defense roll instead of 140. I'm looking forward to playtesting these total losers Deathwalkers over the next few months.
Old February 13th, 2023, 09:40 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I dunno, Guilty's 7 Range is a pretty big deal. The difference between 7 Range and 6 Range in Heroscape can be greater than the one extra space would indicate, because a 6R character can be engaged by melee figures within its threat range in a single turn more often than a 7R character. Couple that with Guilty's extra Life, which I would value over Soulborg immunities 9 times out of 10, and Guilty is a good bit more survivable than DW2K, although both are obviously glass cannons. Not to mention that Guilty is a bonding hero (assuming you play with the C3V Dreadgul Raiders) and DW2K would only have conditional bonding with C3V's Deathcommander MK3. At a glance, I'd say the two filler heroes aren't too far apart from each other in terms of value.

I also like the Prototype power for its mechanical novelty, but I'm not sure if the mechanics get across the "prototype" theme. To me, it feels more like the idea of an engine/battery revving up. Regardless, these look like fun, clean designs. Good stuff!
Old February 14th, 2023, 12:45 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I also like the Prototype power for its mechanical novelty, but I'm not sure if the mechanics get across the "prototype" theme. To me, it feels more like the idea of an engine/battery revving up. Regardless, these look like fun, clean designs. Good stuff!
A cliché prototype power would be along the lines of,

"After revealing a numbered order marker, roll a 20-sided die. If 1-6, add 1, if 7-12, add 2, if 13-18, add 3, if 19-20, he explodes."

I agree that this power is more novel, and I prefer it over the generic power I just mentioned. The mechanics do give off an "overheating" feel, where the unit operates faster and faster until it inevitably crashes and resets the cycle again.
Old February 14th, 2023, 09:03 AM

I definitely thought about "Upgrade" for the name instead, but it's already in use. Maybe something like "Adaptive Power Cycling"? It sounds badass and is a closer descriptor to the actual ability. Glad the actual mechanisms seem solid!
Old February 14th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Any particular reason for 6 range instead of the standard 7 range for Deathwalkers?
Old February 14th, 2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Any particular reason for 6 range instead of the standard 7 range for Deathwalkers?
Two reasons: I wanted to keep the point cost down is the first. But the more interesting reason is the playability and theme. Triple attack with only 6 range has a much higher risk/higher reward factor than Guilty. In my head Canon, the Deathwalker line has gotten cocky after one improvement on the design, hence the "greedy" characteristic. They're not greedy for material things; they're greedy for kills, and it often puts them in risky spots because of it. Plus, only 8k and 9k have 7 range. I don't think that makes it "standard."
Old May 15th, 2023, 10:30 PM

Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby!

These are cool! The order marker power on 1k seems clever and fun to play.

What are these minis / where can they be found?
Old June 12th, 2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post

These are Xairbots (small, medium, and large) by Reaper Miniatures.

Here is a link to all three:
https://www.reapermini.com/search/xairbot
Old June 12th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post

These are Xairbots (small, medium, and large) by Reaper Miniatures.

Here is a link to all three:
https://www.reapermini.com/search/xairbot
Thanks! Looks like it was in the OP too and I can't read.
Old July 28th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Re: ryguy266's Customs-Return of the Diorite Defender

Just added an update to the Diorite Defender I've been working on for a while. Would love some feedback on the rework!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards