Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer large scale battles or small?
Large battle that takes days to complete 13 13.27%
Large battles that complete in one day 34 34.69%
Small battles that take a couple hours 50 51.02%
I dont battle, I run for cover 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Big maps vs. small maps. and Heroscapes original intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Just wanted to muse on the observation that, other things being equal, smaller maps are less punishing to melee....
"Other things being equal" is a pretty slippery phrase in this concept.

The overall size and length of a map does not, in my opinion, have a profound effect its range/melee balance. It can have some marginal effects, like giving ranged figures a lot of room to run and gun in endgame. But a large map where the best spots are in the middle will benefit unique figures over common figures (with a couple exceptions like Zelrig).

The driving factor in range versus melee is things like positioning of LoS/choke points, the presence of shadow/jungle, and how quickly figures can move from outside range to engagement (i.e. how flat the map is, whether there is snow/ice/road/water/etc).

It's easy to design a small map where 4th Mass will crush knights and Heavies nearly every time. Just clear out the LoS blockers, put relative high ground in or near the startzones, and toss some water/snow/ice/undulating elevation changes into the middle of the map. Conversely, it's not too tough to design an epic 5-MS map where knights will crush the 4th nearly every time. Just make a big plateau of high ground in the middle, with roads winding around LoS blockers and jungle pieces.

Quote:
Perhaps another indication that the designers envisioned the game being played most typically on small maps? The inherent advantages of ranged units seems less like a design flaw then....
I wouldn't say the advantages of ranged units are a design flaw at all. They are reflected in the stats and costs of the figures.
Bah. You guys and your nuances.
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:
Generally, when I'm creating big maps, LoS blockers, Shadow, Jungle, etc. are used to ensure that "other things being equal" is not the case. As to "Heroscpe[']s original intent," I don't think the game cares one way or the other. I prefer big maps and storytelling, but I enjoy tournament play as well, especially in the current environment, with its creative formatting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
"Other things being equal" is a pretty slippery phrase in this concept.

The overall size and length of a map does not, in my opinion, have a profound effect its range/melee balance. It can have some marginal effects, like giving ranged figures a lot of room to run and gun in endgame. But a large map where the best spots are in the middle will benefit unique figures over common figures (with a couple exceptions like Zelrig).

The driving factor in range versus melee is things like positioning of LoS/choke points, the presence of shadow/jungle, and how quickly figures can move from outside range to engagement (i.e. how flat the map is, whether there is snow/ice/road/water/etc).

It's easy to design a small map where 4th Mass will crush knights and Heavies nearly every time. Just clear out the LoS blockers, put relative high ground in or near the startzones, and toss some water/snow/ice/undulating elevation changes into the middle of the map. Conversely, it's not too tough to design an epic 5-MS map where knights will crush the 4th nearly every time. Just make a big plateau of high ground in the middle, with roads winding around LoS blockers and jungle pieces.
Well met!

Like I said . . .
Quote:

Bah. You guys and your nuances.
Well met!

That's what I said!
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Well, I think it's quite obvious that I massively prefer small maps.
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
Well, I think it's quite obvious that I massively prefer small maps.
Really? Then you might enjoy checking out a group called the Raids of Valhalla, KA. They've got a great project going. Maybe they'd let you join.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM

The Doctor is surprisingly tart

In my opinion bigger maps are better. I enjoy playing large games. It just seems more epic then just a few units.

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My preference is small-medium maps, not taking more than 60 minutes or so to play. The typical tourney-style match is great for a quick, fun game.

However, huge, table-filling maps (we're talking around 30x60 hexes) certainly have their place - in large army, multiplayer games, or (my preference) in massive army 1 on 1 scenarios.

Both are great, and one of favorite aspects of Heroscape is coming up with and building maps.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

Big Maps. Love Big Maps, Big Games.

'Nuff said.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I guess it really comes down to who I am playing with. If I just got one person to play with, we almost always go with nothing bigger than a large BoV map.

But my heart is still with big games, and if we got three or more players, our map sizes increase quite a bit. The smallest map we build for 3 or more players is 18 square feet, but we have played on as big as 40 square feet of map.
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Hey Darth, try some Nadi:

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Well met!

Hey Darth, try some Nadi:

I like these. A lot. Looks like I'll be building some of these maps this weekend. Thanks a lot, Kolakoski!

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion