Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 12th, 2020, 02:28 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I remember the old sculpt for this one. It's a pity that it won't work anymore; I thought that the coloration was nice and there is a dearth of female characters in general.
Yeah, I was hoping I could keep with the old figure too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
I agree with Captain Stupendous' proposed revision (I was going to suggest something similar myself, actually). "Successfully defended against the attack" feels confusing--does a whiff by the opponent count as a successful defense, for example? I think that it's better to stick to the established (and slightly clearer) wording of "received no wounds."
I'll probably change it to that. The intention was that you wouldn't be able to get it from a blanked attack, but I realize that there's nothing in the current wording that says that.
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the power name "Close Quarters Expert" (in my opinion something like "Close Combat Expert" sounds better) but that's a really minor qualm.
I actually went back and forth between "Close Quarters" and "Close Combat" quite a bit. CQC is a very common abbreviation that literally means Close Quarters Combat, and I considered using "Close Quarters Combat Expert" because of that. In the end I settled on "Close Quarters" because my roommate liked that one better.
Quote:
Is the intent that Bending Reed Stance can be used multiple times to get up to 4 attacks in one turn? I don't think that it would be untenable at a first glance (and it feels more like the established Monk archetype that way), but it's probably best to specify the intent either way.
Yes, 4 attacks is the intended maximum. I don't feel like this should be a problem. It takes time to build up that maximum, so you'll rarely actually get to use 4 attacks in a turn, and most of the monks we already have can attack all adjacent figures, netting up to 6 (or if you specifically design the map for it, 12) attacks in a single turn.
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
I agree with Captain Stupendous' proposed revision (I was going to suggest something similar myself, actually). "Successfully defended against the attack" feels confusing--does a whiff by the opponent count as a successful defense, for example? I think that it's better to stick to the established (and slightly clearer) wording of "received no wounds."
I'll probably change it to that. The intention was that you wouldn't be able to get it from a blanked attack, but I realize that there's nothing in the current wording that says that.
It would get a lot wordier to avoid that. Better to leave as-is, with rewording to be like Iron Shirt. Also, you need to limit to working against normal attacks (like Iron Shirt), or there are potentially insurmountable problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Is the intent that Bending Reed Stance can be used multiple times to get up to 4 attacks in one turn? I don't think that it would be untenable at a first glance (and it feels more like the established Monk archetype that way), but it's probably best to specify the intent either way.
Yes, 4 attacks is the intended maximum. I don't feel like this should be a problem. It takes time to build up that maximum, so you'll rarely actually get to use 4 attacks in a turn, and most of the monks we already have can attack all adjacent figures, netting up to 6 (or if you specifically design the map for it, 12) attacks in a single turn.
Differentiating between repeatable attacks and single bonus attacks is one of the most annoying wording problems we Editors face. The precedent is clear: compare Battle Frenzy "you may attack again with ..." to Double Attack "... may attack one additional time." As clear as the precedent is, though, in pure English terms either of them could mean repeatable only only one. We had to change the name of Reckless Second Swing (I don't remember what it was initially) to suggest the correct reading of the power by adding "Second" in the name.

Simply put, it's easy to go either way with the wording, but either way it's going to confuse people. That's just how things go.

Overall, I like Lee Jun. It feels like Bending Reed Stance isn't worth using an order marker mechanic, but there really isn't another way to do something like it. I kinda feel that his Defense is one too high, as he will be Defense 4 minimum when engaged, but that's more of a question of potency for the price than a thematic issue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards