Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Heroscape74 is surprisingly tart
Re: Oklahoma Heroscape Event Around NHSD

Fwiw I think Marvel is a distraction to this entire event and should be out for this reason alone.
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM

lwayman is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustrialOkie View Post
Hi Caps. To be perfectly honest if this is how the armies are drafted then i probably will pass. I absolutely respect your reason for drafting in this manner, but I really enjoy playing "themed" armies as I never cared for orcs fighting with WW2 soldiers with samurai etc. I tend to run Roman, Gladiator or Colonial only lists and wouldn't really be interested in breaking up whatever pre-drafted army I chose to bring. I'll keep watching the thread for developments, and wish you much luck with the tourney!

Regards,

-Tom
These commets are a reflection of my thoughts on the Marvel issue as well. I prefer my themes of Captain America and the Airborne Elite with the Micro Corps Agents as Navy Seals or Iron Man and Mec Constrructs or even Dr. Doom with the Zetian Guards and either Orcs or Marrow squads, so I am not asking for anything more than you and most everyone else here already have. (See my posts in the other threads and you will see how balanced these themes are.)

We play here at our local veneu about 50/50 and I won last month with no Marvel and I won last years NHSD tournament here, again with no Marvel but all I have to do is drive across town to play with people and in a setting I am familiar with, but you are asking me to leave my best teams at home on the bench while you bring your favorites, I don't consider that a fair deal, especially to drive 200+ miles for.

The last time I played a figure over 300 points was last august and I played the Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, the airborne elite, the Micro Corps Agents (x2) and Deadeye Dan for a 1200 point total. I faced all five of the Largest Dragons on one side with Iskra and the rechets, and on the other was Major Q9 and Q10 along with the zeitian Guards, the warden, and 10 or more squads of deathreavers. Across the table was a Wyvren, the fire giant, several squads of ghost knights, and I can't remember what else. And I honestly don,t see how my team could have been considered umbalanced and/or over powered.

The Marvel disscusion is not a distraction, it is as important as customs/no cusotms, pooled/pre-built teams, the particulars of using Samual Brown, or what maps, point totals, or scenarios we play. So fwiw it puzzles me how 6 - 10 Marvel figures are such an ominous threat to the hundreds of other figures in the game which includes giants, robots, ogres, trolls, wizards, minotaurs, yeti, sasquatch, vampies, demons, zombies, elementals, and warriors from all time periods. I mean honestly we all want to keep this awsome game alive, and I have never understood how a superhero or a villain could cause such a divison that anyone would seek to dis-include another player (or players) based on their own preferences and prejudices. So just as Tom stated earlier I don't really care to play without my "themes" either and I find it appropriate to stand up and say hey I wanna use some of my favorites too.
Old August 12th, 2012, 01:05 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks for speaking up lwayman. I'm not ignoring your post. I'll hopefully have sufficient time to reply tomorrow.

EDIT: I can't fall asleep, so I guess I have time to reply now.

The short version is that I can't make everybody happy and I'm going to go with what I think is A) the norm and more importantly B) the option most likely to simultaneously maximize attendance and overall fun. If that is best served by allowing Marvel, I'm all for it. Otherwise, Marvel will have to sit this event out.

The long version is below.

When I first saw your message, I planned to respond by digging up quotes from the original playtesters and designers of the game about how Marvel was not designed to be played with regular "Classic" Heroscape and how it was untested for balance with Classic Heroscape figures. I was going to elaborate on how Marvel figures are not part of the Heroscape canon, are not mentioned anywhere in Heroscape lore (the journals of Thormun and such), don't follow any of the Heroscape generals, etc. etc. but I suspect that's not what we're really discussing here.

What I'm getting from your message (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you want to play with Marvel figures with Classic figures. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use Marvel figures with Classic figures. It may be imbalanced, its not exactly what they were intended for, but they do technically work. I'm hardly the one to say you can't play Marvel when you want to.

My intent with this event was for it to be like a semi-tournament event. Sort of like GenCon or an event like that. Maybe no one wants to go to an event like that. If that's the case, I'm fine with throwing an event people want to attend--a party is no fun if no one shows up. However, if people want to attend an event like that (and I think they do), I know that Marvel is typically not allowed at events like that. There are exceptions. I don't want to dig up a list of all the events that have been recorded here on Heroscapers. I will put together a list of the GenCon events, since they're handily available nearby.

(this is the part where I go overboard, and you can really skip it)
Spoiler Alert!

Okay, so I went overboard there. The point is, that on a national level, Marvel is typically (again, there are exceptions) not allowed at official, standard, non-scenario events. I don't think I need to say that anymore--if you want to dispute it, I won't argue with you.

The question is, is this what we're doing for our event? I don't know the answer yet, but I think it is "no". Will I show up if Marvel is allowed? Yes, I will. Am I going to show up even though C3V/SoV will not be allowed? Yes, I will. I hope everyone who hears about it and is able will come because I think this event will be fun for them, even if it means playing outside of their comfort zone. The guys I normally play with definitely will--they almost always play 'Scape with at least 4 players, sometimes as many as 6-8, so a setting where every game is 1v1 will be weird for them, but I'm going to encourage them to come because I think they'll have fun.

I don't know what else there is to say, lwayman, but I hope you attend whether Marvel is allowed or not. I'd love to meet you and play Heroscape with you.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; August 12th, 2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added a full response
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the response Capsocrates! My comments above was not intended as a rant, and I am glad you didn't take the time to research all of the play testers quotes and comments, etc. and all the game histories, cause I have read and discussed it all before, so there is no need to educate me.

My point I believe is simple, the issue is a discussion point that is of equal importance to the event and to me as the other items we have been discussing, and seeing as how we haven't even nailed down the point limits yet, and the tournament structure (ie:swiss style, standard, etc.), than I believe this item to still be on the table. I just do not feel this subject is a distraction!

My intentions when discrbing the instance where I used the Hulk was to simply show the extreme number of powerful figures in that game that IMO warrented the inclsuion of such a powerhose. I guess what I am feeling is this: I don't want to not be able to bring say Captain America with my soldiers and sit down to play and my oppent says oh btw here are my two Feral Trolls or here is my Dragon and feel like oh crap I am out gunned and I left my best figure at home.
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I should probably update the OP with what stowoodbury and I have discussed regarding format. I think we are doing somewhere between 450 and 550 points. We're picking out maps and I'm planning on Rolling Rumble, because I've heard that's the simplest way to get the most games in.

Maybe we are also coming at this from different perspectives. When I see an event's rules for army building I try to think of an army that would be fun and competitive within those guidelines. If you're a stickler or theme, a 4th Mass build is one of the strongest armies in the game, and Sgt. Drake is just as thematic as Captain America (and almost as strong); he makes a great beat-stick for a 4th Mass build, most range can't touch him, and he has a special attack for taking care of rats. You can throw in Sir Denrick to take care of those pesky trolls, or Sir Gilbert and some Knights for a screen that can roll your 4th Mass into position for Wait Then Fire. Any of the above armies are very strong and can be built within the no-Marvel framework. As you've said yourself, Marvel characters are not the only strong characters in the game; if your opponent can bring Krug or Cyprien, so can you. You are at as much of a disadvantage by not bringing any Marvel as he is.

--
--
--

--
Old August 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM

[Quote=Capsocrates]
The short version is that I can't make everybody happy and I'm going to go with what I think is A) the norm and more importantly B) the option most likely to simultaneously maximize attendance and overall fun. If that is best served by allowing Marvel, I'm all for it. Otherwise, Marvel will have to sit this event out.
[Quote]

Okay so my only question is what if, like the current vote of 3 to 3 what is the decison in the event of a tie?
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM

Heroscape74 is surprisingly tart

Caps:

Just an update I have at least one person confirmed coming with me to the event. I may possibley have more and will update you when confirmed. Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Okay so my only question is what if, like the current vote of 3 to 3 what is the decison in the event of a tie?
The answer to your question as stated is that it is up to stowoodbury and I since we are the Event Directors. My feelings at this point are that we'll see how it goes without Marvel, and next time we'll consider allowing Marvel, if that's what people want to do. But not this time. I do intend to have a brief exit poll for that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustrialOkie View Post
Caps:

Just an update I have at least one person confirmed coming with me to the event. I may possibley have more and will update you when confirmed. Thanks!
Sweet! That's very exciting.

--
--
--

--
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

from an outsider:

I've been at more than my share of Scape tournaments. This is a word of advice on how to build an army and otherwise attend your first tourney:

Bring the units you like to play. I don't like playing Raelin and I've never brought her to a tournament.

Do not fear power builds. They aren't anything you can't handle. I've never seen Q9 win an event.

If there is one word of real advice I'd have liked before my first event, it's "be ready to manage your order markers."

Have fun. Once your behind is in the chair, you've already won the day.

Good luck, all.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM

wolfeman1968 is surprisingly tart

Looking over some maps...for a Rolling Rumble format smaller maps will yeild to faster play....but smaller maps will favor melee units.

Map suggestions Swamp Thing, Highways and Dieways, and Slash & Burn.
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks for dropping in, D_S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeman1968 View Post
Looking over some maps...for a Rolling Rumble smaller maps will yeild to faster play....but smaller maps will favor melee units.

Map suggestions Swamp Thing, Highways and Dieways, and Slash & Burn.
Thanks for the suggestions! Highways and Dieways and Swamp Thing are a bit expansion-intensive for what we have available, but they're both great maps. I'll look into Slash & Burn.

Also, nothing wrong with favoring melee.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; August 14th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM

wolfeman1968 is surprisingly tart

I was looking at the Ohio NHSD tourniment they played the rolling rumble format and some of there maps might work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events