Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old December 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Champion IN SPITE of Stoopid Doors

Paronychodon knows what's in an order marker Paronychodon knows what's in an order marker
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'd like to nominate my custom Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior to the SoV.

As you can probably tell, the figure is one of the Protectors of Ullar. I prefer the one with his weapon raised, as that matches the drawing of the character in Thormun's Journal. There is no unique special ability here, but I think he has a unique combination of stats and abilities that are very thematic and match up perfectly with his description in the Journal.

I've been playtesting Tyrian since he was voted into the CHCG24, and I think he's balanced. He's fast, an excellent treasure glyph-grabber, and can do a lot of damage. That is, until he gets attacked. He's definitely got a glass jaw. I hope you like him.

My Maps:

Also, check out the Competitive Unit Congress
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

He looks good, Paronychodon. Did you do any customization besides painting the Ullar green over with Jandar blue? I can't tell & don't want to guess.

Thanks.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Champion IN SPITE of Stoopid Doors

Paronychodon knows what's in an order marker Paronychodon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Did you do any customization besides painting the Ullar green over with Jandar blue?
I went over the gold/bronze portions with silver/grey.

I must admit, though, I have not wanted to break up a squad of Protectors. The image is photoshopped.

My Maps:

Also, check out the Competitive Unit Congress

Last edited by Paronychodon; December 6th, 2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: What? "I image" makes perfect sense ...
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paronychodon View Post
Quote:
Did you do any customization besides painting the Ullar green over with Jandar blue?

I must admit, though, I have not wanted to break up a squad of Protectors. I image is photoshopped.
That's perfect, it's like Sam Brown, as long as you use the right sculpt, no need to repaint.
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:

I must admit, though, I have not wanted to break up a squad of Protectors. I image is photoshopped.
Now that I look at it, you're right. I guess I'm not the only one who uses that trick...

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

I thought the coloring looked a little different.

*sigh*

I find it difficult to vote in favor of a unit for which the sculpt exists only in theory. But I think anybody could paint the crest & pants blue and call it done if he wanted.

It's thematic, the mechanic couldn't be simpler and it fills a niche in Jandar. Threat range is similar to Syvarris'...

He's hard not to like. I'll say yes to reviewing Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior.

Our plates are filling up...

= =
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

I'm just going to one last time (not really). I have a unit left over from my soulborg age and wanted your honest opinion (yes/no). This is my only nomination at the moment. Regarding your front page rules:
  • Balance-Are the points correct - so far, 6K has suffered the DW curse, but he can just as easily earn his points as lose them.
  • Playability-Are the powers clear and understandable? Are its master stats appropriate? If it is Large or Huge, what type of base does it use? Is it visually distinct from pre-existing units? - The only ability that could use rewording is Combat Claw, as Reactor Meltdown is a near exact (slightly different) replica of 7K's Self-Destruct. Stats are fair for a Deathwalker, if not too low. Please note this is NOT 7K redesigned. It is my interpretation of what DW model would come before 7.
  • Creativity-Does it add something new to the game? - It adds a fun-to-use new hero, edging away from squadscape.
  • Theme-Does it fit in the HS universe? No need to explain
  • Accessibility-Is the sculpt, or sculpts, available, at a reasonable price, and with limited modification? To help with this, it is encouraged that a link to the mini is included with the nomination (check out Lamaclown's list of mini sites for help with that) - Uses D&D mini Hammerer, medium base (1-hex easily) and cheap/common, probably about $1.

I can only honestly say, that for a DW, this guy is fair. He can earn in melee combat on his own merit, but suffers from a menagerie of counters that could leave him in the dust. For 1, do not be daunted by the potential 5 attack/6 move, once he's engaged, he is as good as dead... but then again, there's always the threat of the explosion. Versatile and enigmatic... just like I want him.

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

NecroBlade's Aeradon's Hound has received 3 NO votes to review (Dad_Scaper, Killometer, ZBeeblebrox) and is removed from the process.

clancampbell's Eremon Vandel has received 4 YES votes to review (1Mmirg, Dad_Scaper, nyys, ZBeeblebrox) and moves on to being reviewed.

I vote NO to review Paronychodon's Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior. I don't feel like it brings much new to the game, and, so far, Kyrie Warriors consistantly have significant, defining, keystone abilities.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
I vote NO to review Paronychodon's Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior. I don't feel like it brings much new to the game, and, so far, Kyrie Warriors consistantly have significant, defining, keystone abilities.
I hadn't thought about it like that. Certainly something to keep in mind for the future of my own customs and to impart in C3V as well.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysto2002 View Post
once he's engaged, he is as good as dead...
I'm not seeing that. 6 defense + stealth dodge is just plain wrong, and he'll get 5 attack when engaged as long as he can move one single hex, if he chooses he can even return to the one he started on and still deliver the 5 die attack.

Plus I'm not understanding the reason why he should have stealth dodge or why he should have to move to use his hammer. Or why he gets a ranged attack at all.

I like a few of the things you have going on here, Krysto, I like the meltdown, and I like the mechanic of the attack, I just don't think it comes together the right way for this guy.

Krysto, you always give me something interesting to think about, but I'm voting no to Deathwalker 6000.

= =
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

I do like the niche that Tyrian fills for the Jandar army. However, as killometer has already stated, as a kyrie hero, I feel he should bring something unique to the battlefield, which he doesn't. I would like to see something more of Tyrian from the journals here. As is, he doesn't seem as "thematic" as he could be since he is based on an actual character.

Although I like the niche filling simplicity of the fig, I have to vote NO to review Tyrian.

As far as DW6K I am not seeing the stealth dodge as DWish. The DWs have always seemed more like the lumbering juggernauts of the Soulborg armies. Stealth Dodge seems like a light-on-your-feet ability (I am picturing a DW playing dodgeball ).

Also, the range attack doesn't work for me either. As a DW he should have a range attack but the chosen fig has no visible range weapon as do other DWs.

I have to vote NO to review DW6K. I am glad though that you keep submitting your stuff, Krysto. Keep it up.
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Krysto, your stuff is good, with some tweaking I could see several of these being at least reviewed. The judges here are really setting the bar high so don't get discouraged. Let it motivate you to improve.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs