Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:04 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: Gen Con 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Will you be checking IDs?

That is a really fun looking event I may have to consider getting in on. Wolves all the way!!

Are those Wise Man powers per figure turn or player turn?
Dragon Ruler (with a little help from Orcelfarmyone) came up with the format. It's like the reverse kid's tourney.

I was going to call it the anti-millennial event...

Per player turn.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:05 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Oh my gosh, I might actually be able to attend Gencon this year!

I've never been!!!!! :O
Would be great to have you!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:06 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

You are in for a treat. Make sure to get a ton of rest before you go!!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:06 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I think the C3G event is still there because it has been successful as an HSers run event and it's easy to keep successful events going.

Also C3G is also more clearly "custom" than C3V is, since it's not an extension of the original Heroscape canon. With C3V all events really are going to be seen as a campaign to eventually put C3V in the main event. I don't think there's any way around that subtext.

There's obviously an incredible amount of effort put into C3V and I don't want to take anything away from that, but most of the people who come to Gencon and play in lots of events are not the kind of people who want to learn the entire C3V suite of figures for competitive play. I'm probably in the top 5% of time spent on HSers of all Gencon participants and to be honest I don't really want to learn the entire C3V suite of figures for competitive play.

I'd just urge a bit more patience with the organizers. The second open play slot was removed because no one has run a C3V Open Play event at Gencon in 3 years and so very few tickets have sold for that time slot.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:07 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Wow, a lot of negativity and whining in this post today. I thought I stumbled onto some old ladies forum. How many of you complaining have helped in the past, or plan on helping with map setup this year?

Many thanks to all those who put in the great effort to make the Heroscape events at GenCon such a good time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by the vast majority of the GenCon scape community.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
It is none of the public’s business as to why a previous organizer was removed. C3G was implemented prior to this year. We will let you know whether VC is allowed for next year.
Sorry, I was asking about the reasoning behind the C3G/VC differences rather than why a member was removed. I know that isn't public business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Bare with me, I'm not a millennial and can't multi-quote.

I'm not going to go into any discussion further on why he is no longer a part of the committee. It's more of a private matter and I don't want to throw people under the proverbial bus. Feel free to read the statement I posted that you guys keep quoting from. However read as it is written, not as, and since this happened, then this happened.

I am more than happy to field any questions about customs 3 letters or not, but I would much rather do it in person. Please feel free to ask me at gen con.
I did not mean to imply that I was prying into personal matters, so my apologies for that. I was more confused as to why a C3G event was returning, since I thought that your message was saying that there actually wasn't support for it in the current party of organizers back then.

I don't think I'll be able to make it to GenCon this year due to a conflict in my schedule unfortunately. I'm hoping to attend again next year, regardless of whether a VC event is in the cards or not.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I think the C3G event is still there because it has been successful as an HSers run event and it's easy to keep successful events going.

Also C3G is also more clearly "custom" than C3V is, since it's not an extension of the original Heroscape canon. With C3V all events really are going to be seen as a campaign to eventually put C3V in the main event. I don't think there's any way around that subtext.

There's obviously an incredible amount of effort put into C3V and I don't want to take anything away from that, but most of the people who come to Gencon and play in lots of events are not the kind of people who want to learn the entire C3V suite of figures for competitive play. I'm probably in the top 5% of time spent on HSers of all Gencon participants and to be honest I don't really want to learn the entire C3V suite of figures for competitive play.

I'd just urge a bit more patience with the organizers. The second open play slot was removed because no one has run a C3V Open Play event at Gencon in 3 years and so very few tickets have sold for that time slot.
This is a good explanation. I don't agree that any kind of C3V event will lead to a push for letting it into the Main Event, but I can't speak for anyone else and can understand that fear.

If any kind of VC event is run during Open Play this year, I hope that it's posted about here and able to get ample notice out to those who are interested and able to attend. I think that it's a little tougher to get attention without a formal event being posted, but going down to one Open Play might help with that somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
Wow, a lot of negativity and whining in this post today. I thought I stumbled onto some old ladies forum. How many of you complaining have helped in the past, or plan on helping with map setup this year?

Many thanks to all those who put in the great effort to make the Heroscape events at GenCon such a good time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by the vast majority of the GenCon scape community.
As far as I'm aware, most users have been acting pretty respectful. There's some confusion and miscommunication it would seem, but I wouldn't take questions about a VC event as downplaying the effort that GenCon organizers do for the community.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:14 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Yeah - maybe have some 1000-point C3G armies available for people to borrow as I am sure people would play if you did. Also the Assassin's Creed & Speed Scape look cool so if I went and din't make day to not sure which I would do. Same with Take 2 and Heat of the Battle:Unique, as both formats have been clamored for at Gencon.

I noticed there is a Thursday open play at 8pm but no open play Friday or Saturday night - I am guessing because attendance was low last year and people are scaped out by that point. But hypothetically could we have ticketed (or free) off-books event Fri or sat night and use the maps? Also noticed max attendance at one time is 52 (26 maps) which is lower than previous 72, which is sad to see attendance dwindle.

Probably @dok will chime in but is anyone doing a C3V tournament during that open play? Also would anyone be interested in a Magic:Arena Tournament one night at 8pm or even as an alternative on Saturday at Noon (after Speed Scape event ends) or 3pm?

BTW, I am 50/50 right now, as it is right before my finals of my last MBA class.
For clarity's sake, it hasn't been 72 since before I started going (2012), if ever. It was 52 last year. It is 52 this year. 26 maps will probably be the norm going forward, which is only 6 below what it was way back in 2012.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:16 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:

Awww, thanks OEAO! I hope I can make it happen! A huge part of the fun would be the chance to finally meet some of you'all — legendary names whom I know only by name.

Quote:
Hah hah, are 49-year-olds allowed?! If so, I promise to spike my Geritol with caffeine!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:18 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awww, thanks OEAO! I hope I can make it happen! A huge part of the fun would be the chance to finally meet some of you'all — legendary names whom I know only by name.

Quote:
Hah hah, are 49-year-olds allowed?!
Only if you agree to play in the Wise Men tourney!

Last edited by OEAO; May 3rd, 2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Despite what Ken says, that format is mostly mine, and I'm excited to see it in the wild. 19 years til I can play it...
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:22 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Hah hah, are 49-year-olds allowed?!
Only if you agree to play in the Wise Men tourney!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:28 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Sorry not sure why I thought last year or 3 years ago (missed 2 years ago @ GC-50) the player count was 72. At least it is stable. I totally understand not having open play Saturday night as hardly anyone did and not too many on Friday night but I though it was like 10-12.

I guess we can have open play C3V event Thursday night, and concurrent Magic:Arena event if enough people, but no one wanted to do last year so maybe not (although I maybe posted too late). I do remember in past organizers said that you can play a game or two during "Learn to Play" with generic ticket if there are unused boards, so that is only alternative for "Open Play" outside Thursday night, but up to current organizers if this is still in practice, and I totally get saying no because I would rather see tournaments be full than people play by themselves.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:34 PM

I can only imagine the mercilessly tough constraints that our Gencon map-selectors and map-builders have to work within, so I almost hate to bother them with any further possible suggestions.

But reading all the discussion about the need for more maps that use only a single master set and single expansion.... Occurs to me..... The Remains of Clionesia, by tannergx, was one of three maps inducted into the Wargrounds of Scape during its time, and it uses only 1 RotV and 1 FotA (perhaps the single most available combo of terrain).

EDIT: Hmmm, although occurs to me, I don't know what policy is regarding uncapped columns..... If prohibited, please ignore The Remains of Clionesia suggestion!

EDIT 2: Wait a minute, do I vaguely remember that Remains of Clionesia may actually already have been used in a previous Gencon? See, old age! It ain't pretty.

Edit 3: (Shameless plug: my map thread -- in my sig block -- includes several maps that use only a single BftU and one expansion, in case you gents have access to a few BftU and are trying to milk all you can out of limited terrain requirements. That was always my particular obsession.... But I digress!)

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con