Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Rumor! WotC to take over Heroscape!

*EDIT BY TRUTH*

Check out the article on the front page for new information!

http://heroscapers.com/?p=184

*END EDIT*

I have talked to a couple of game/hobbie shops here locally looking for Heroscape, and heard similar stories from both. They both said that they didn't currently carry Heroscape but that they heard that Wizards of the Coast might be taking over Heroscape fully from Hasbro, and if this happens, Heroscape would move from the big chain stores to the hobby market. They said that they have not yet heard if this has happened yet or not, but if it does they would start stocking it. I don't know if it is true or not, but it would go a long way in explaining all the strange Scape activity thats been going on at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. And if it's true, then at least Scape won't be gone completely. What do you all think? Any one else heard anything like this?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Toqtamish has disabled reputation
Makes sense to me I guess...although I think maybe they should expand the stores with the game not remove it from the big box stores, better marketing in big box stores really. And there is no danger of Heroscape going away.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
As long as they communicate better with the designers and fans than HASBRO does, and they try harder to get things in stores when the release dates say they should be there, then absolutely I'm for it.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
I've had a lot of interest in DnD over the years, but frankly I haven't been too impressed with what WotC has come up with beyond the core books, nor their recent methods of communication regarding 4e. Content-wise I've been more impressed with offerings from other publishers.

With that in mind, I don't feel too enthused about WotC taking it over. Hopefully they will keep the same creative team for HS on board.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
I think HS is too strong for Hasbro the let it go just like that, but that's just my opinion.

If that happened, the $12.95 sets at TRU will start looking cheap, and I might actually buy from housemouse. Hobby store margins have to be higher given the lower volumes (=slower inventory rotations). I hope that this does not happen, but if it is an alternative to total extinction... better something than nothing.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
I also worry about what they would do with pricing. I can't afford it if they raise the prises much.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Toqtamish has disabled reputation
total extinction ? somehow I dont think we have to worry about that anytime soon.

I would prefer to see Hasbro keep the game and maybe expand it to hobby stores somehow too, but if its a choice between TRU and my FLG I would have to go with TRU just for the cost savings.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
This is pretty big news, if the rumor has any ring of truth to it.

There was word back in 2006 that WotC would take over the distribution of Heroscape (LINK). But there wasn't any word that WotC would just take over the game completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the aformentioned article...
There's been demand in the hobby channel for a couple of Hasbro products that seem to be a good fit for hobbyists--Attacktix and Heroscape. I was hearing at the summer shows that there might be a possibility that Wizards would distribute those titles to the hobby. Is there any progress in that direction?

Loren Greenwood (CEO WotC): Yes. Wizards of the Coast will be distributing Attacktix and HeroScape. I don't have the timeline for it, but that is going to happen. It's something that we will make available to all of our customers.
Personally, I think the removal of Heroscape from mainstream stores would be a bad move. However, stores like Target do carry WotC's Star Wars Miniature game. So it's not like the WotC brand is completely void in large retail stores.

However, this is all just rumor and speculation right now. I'm going to sit back and wait to see if any official statement is released.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM

darth_stalker Woo who?
I for one do not like the idea of paying Warhammer prices for Heroscape and that is what I forsee if Heroscape stops being carried by wally-world.

Help me doctor, I think I have hypochondria!
As the Chinese zombie said..."Blains!"
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I don't care so long as the price points don't get worse and that they don't remove it from big chain stores. My reasoning is simple. More people live close to chain stores then live close to hobby ones. I have 15 to 20 chain store locations with 30 minutes, but the closest hobby shop is an hour away.

If they move it into hobby stores, then online will be the only way I get it unless I just happen to be in the store. Right now I make trips to the chain stores specifically for HS stuff. With gas prices where they are I'm not willing to drive that far just to see if the store has it.

I would love if WotC could increase the amount of new material so long as they don't go crazy and make so much that it costs a fortune to keep up with.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
As long as they communicate better with the designers and fans than HASBRO does, and they try harder to get things in stores when the release dates say they should be there, then absolutely I'm for it.

Also, you're on TV.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
I'm going to wait and see before reacting too much, but it seems to me that removing Heroscape's presence from big box stores is in direct opposition to the game's goal of making tabletop miniatures more accessible to the mainstream consumer.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News