Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 10th, 2021, 10:47 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/10/2021 - WWII Tank)

It's been a little while since I was last here. I've finally found a decent sculpt for this next custom, which helps fill the ranks of military units while occupying a thematic niche that is unusually hard to fill.

Original figure image credit goes to the HobbyLinq.com community

The model used for this unit is a Pegasus Hobbies figure from the MRC World War II Ground Armor Series set. The name of the figure is M4 MIDDLE TANK (MID)6TH A. The unit is double-spaced.

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

Comments are welcome.
Old November 14th, 2021, 01:17 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/13/2021 - WWII Tank +

Original figure image credit goes to MinisGallery.com

The model used for this unit is a D&D figure from the Icons of the Realm: Monster Menagerie 2 set. The name of the figure is Uthgardt Barbarian (either figure works).

Alternate Card:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, critiques and comments are welcome.
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:13 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/13/2021 - Highland Cha

Angus is really strong, he definitely overshadows Alastair as the best hero to play with the MacDirks. Thematically, I don't see Mark of Sturla on the miniature. Is it a tattoo or something that I can't see in the image? I'm all for the anachronistic things that only could happen in Valhalla (Drake's Grapple Arm, Arashara's shifting sands totem, etc.) but unless it is obvious on the mini, I'm meh about it.

Mechanically, I think I found some things you may have overlooked with MARK OF STURLA.

Firstly, the card and the text version aren't the same. The text version is better so I'll address that.

Secondly there is an interaction that is problematic: Angus is made the Highland Champion. He rushes the opponent's start zone and kills as much as he can until he dies. Meanwhile the MacDirks are developing up into a good position. Angus resurrects adjacent to Marcu or Isamu back in your start zone. You now have 7 attack MacDirks with no risk of losing Angus.

Thirdly, I also don't think the last sentence works.

Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card, destroy him.
He starts with 2 markers. Dies. Comes back with 1 marker and 1 life. Dies. Comes back with 0 markers and 1 life. Is automatically destroyed because he has more lives than Immortality markers.

Is the intent that he can come back twice? Then it doesn't work. Is the intent that he only comes back once? Then it can be done more elegantly.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; November 16th, 2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 16th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For a 2nd highlander hero, I would rather someone who didn't outshine Alistair. Maybe someone who can fight alongside him, or replace him when he dies. A great example would be what SchismaticSounds did with Kirvin the Wily for the Greenscale Warriors.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...47761&page=401

Vydar's right to point out that Angus' resurrection ability is way too powerful when bonded with the MacDirks.
Old November 16th, 2021, 09:46 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Secondly there is an interaction that is problematic: Angus is made the Highland Champion. He rushes the opponent's start zone and kills as much as he can until he dies. Meanwhile the MacDirks are developing up into a good position. Angus resurrects adjacent to Marcu or Isamu back in your start zone. You now have 7 attack MacDirks with no risk of losing Angus.
Yeah, this is what I imagine a player doing with Angus, to great effect. While any help for the MacDirks would be nice, this would make for a very strong combo.

Also, the wording for Mark of Sturla relies on a player colloquialism - "Lives left" - that can present problems when used as game terminology. Raelin with four wound markers on her card does not technically have "one Life left," she is simply destroyed once a fifth wound marker is placed on her card.
Old November 17th, 2021, 09:43 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

MSG Thomas Cooper & Crew is my favorite custom here yet.
Where can you find the miniature for it?

My only qualms would be wondering if Valiant is fitting as well as the Soldier synergy. Just might require some testing.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 20th, 2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old November 21st, 2021, 01:36 AM

Thanks for your many responses, guys! I'll have to remember not to post here unless I know I'll have the time to reply promptly, though.

Quote:
Angus is really strong, he definitely overshadows Alastair as the best hero to play with the MacDirks. Thematically, I don't see Mark of Sturla on the miniature. Is it a tattoo or something that I can't see in the image? I'm all for the anachronistic things that only could happen in Valhalla (Drake's Grapple Arm, Arashara's shifting sands totem, etc.) but unless it is obvious on the mini, I'm meh about it.
Angus was designed to be a strong option (around B+ to A- by power ranking), but eclipsing Alistair would be an unintended and unwanted result. During testing, I had made comparisons to Morgoloth as a unit with similar survivability and wound-dealing potential, but the resurrection power is probably what complicates things.

Also, the Mark of Sturla power does reference a detail on the sculpt; it's better visible on the alternate card I posted, but the preferred mini has a similar mark. The thematic intention was for a glyph's magic to be applied as a tattoo or war paint.

Quote:
Mechanically, I think I found some things you may have overlooked with MARK OF STURLA.

Firstly, the card and the text version aren't the same. The text version is better so I'll address that.

Those are excellent observations. I don't play with self-reviving figures often, so I'm not surprised that I missed such an important dynamic. Although a strong strategy, that doesn't really fit the way I wanted Angus to play, so I'll have to retune the power.

Quote:
Thirdly, I also don't think the last sentence works.

Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card, destroy him.
He starts with 2 markers. Dies. Comes back with 1 marker and 1 life. Dies. Comes back with 0 markers and 1 life. Is automatically destroyed because he has more lives than Immortality markers.

Is the intent that he can come back twice? Then it doesn't work. Is the intent that he only comes back once? Then it can be done more elegantly.
The power is, indeed, intended to offer two revivals, and the army card is actually supposed to be the correct version:
Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card at the end of a round, destroy him.
That power's wording is still sloppier than I remembered, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
For a 2nd highlander hero, I would rather someone who didn't outshine Alistair. Maybe someone who can fight alongside him, or replace him when he dies. A great example would be what SchismaticSounds did with Kirvin the Wily for the Greenscale Warriors.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...47761&page=401

Vydar's right to point out that Angus' resurrection ability is way too powerful when bonded with the MacDirks.
That's a very cool custom; I'll have to visit SchismaticSounds's thread sometime to comment further on it. While I would like to see how someone else would make a MacDirk analogue work, though, I'm not interested in creating something like it.

In hindsight, you and Vydar are absolutely right about Mark of Sturla. I'll be sending this one back to the testing table to see what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Yeah, this is what I imagine a player doing with Angus, to great effect. While any help for the MacDirks would be nice, this would make for a very strong combo.

Also, the wording for Mark of Sturla relies on a player colloquialism - "Lives left" - that can present problems when used as game terminology. Raelin with four wound markers on her card does not technically have "one Life left," she is simply destroyed once a fifth wound marker is placed on her card.
Good point on the power's wording. I guess I've used "lives left" so frequently that I forgot it has no official meaning. The alternative was to say "add or remove wound markers until there are 5 wound markers on this Army Card," but the card was already fairly cluttered by that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
MSG Thomas Cooper & Crew is my favorite custom here yet.
Where can you find the miniature for it?

My only qualms would be wondering if Valiant is fitting as well as the Soldier synergy. Just might require some testing.
I'm glad you like the unit! HobbyLinc sells the model, but you should be able to find it on the website of the manufacturer, Pegasus Hobbies, as well.

My testing hadn't found any objectionable interactions with either the 4th Mass. or Soldier synergies by the time of posting, but more play experience wouldn't hurt. Thematically, the tank crew are war heroes just like Sgt. Drake and the Airborne Elite, so Valiant Soldiers seemed to be the most consistent choice.
Old December 20th, 2021, 08:30 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Playtest for the new Angus Macfurgus
Spoiler Alert!

Point Total: 480 points
Map: Wyrmwalk
Glyphs: 2 Treasure Glyphs, 2 Perm unknown glyphs ended up being Ulaniva (unique +1) and disengage.

Team 1 - Army: Macdirk Warriors x4, Angus Macfergus, (Bol yes/no)
Team 2 - Army: Cathar Spearmen x3, Roman Legionairres x2, Marcus, Roman Archers x1

General Battle Report/Flow of game

Round 1
Team 1 goes first. Angus inflicts 2 wounds moving in, granting the Macdirks 4 attack and dealing first blood. Team 2's om's were not expecting the quick move in attack and did not get the chance to kill the front Macdirk force until turn 3. Angus defends 2 skulls this turn.

Casualties: Legionnaires x4, Cathar x1, Marcus x2 wounds. Macdirks x3, Angus x2 self wounds.

Round 2
Team 2 goes first. Angus removes one Immortal marker to prevent 2 wounds. Angus runs back towards starter zone resetting the field sending 1 Macdirk. Romans move up. Angus moves back in on a side cathar target inflicting another wound to himself and killing the cathar. A macdirk also kills a legionnaire. Roman archer kills a Macdirk

Casualties: Cathar x1, Macdirk x1, Roman Legionnaire x1, Angus 1 self wound.

Round 3
Team 1 goes first. Angus moves back and discovers the disengage glyph. Macdirk kill 2 Cathar and 1 Legionnaire. Marcus and a Roman each kill a Macdirk. Angus stays sat on glyph. A Macdirk kills a Legionnaire. Cathar kill 2 Macdirks. Angus moves back towards the other Macdirk. A Macdirk kills a Cathar.

Casualties: Cathar x3, Legionnaires x2, Macdirk x4.

Round 4
Angus moves towards the starter zone. Cathar and Macdirk trade throughout the round. Cathar's high defense can't defend the high attacks of the Macdirk, but the Cathars counter attacks cut through the Macdirks low defense.

Casualties: Cathar x3, Macdirks x4.
Matchup: 4 Macdirk, Angus (1 life), Marcus (5 life), 4 Cathar, 1 Legionnaire, 3 Archers

Round 5
Team barely 1 goes first rolling 19 v 18.
T1. Macdirk kill 1 Cathar and deal 3 wounds on Marcus. Roman Archers kill 1 Macdirk and fail killing the Macdirk with height on Marcus.
T2. Macdirk kills Marcus. Roman attacks on Macdirk and a pot shot on Angus are defended.
T3. Macdirk kill last Legionnaire and a Cathar. Cathar kill a Macdirk.
Height Macdirk dies to Lava Field

Casualties: Cathar x2, Macdirk x3, Marcus, Legionnaire x1
Matchup: Cathar x2, Roman Archers x3, Angus (1), Macdirk x1

Round 6
Team 1 goes first. Angus kills Archer, Macdirk kills Cathar. Angus kills Archer.
Archer kills Angus 1 skull v 4 defense with no shields. Archer kills last Macdirk. GG

BUT WAIT!!
I forgot about the last mark of Sturla. Rewind rewind...
Angus lives, kills the last Cathar then is killed by the previous attack that killed the "last macdirk".

Casualties: Roman Archers 2, Cathar 2, Angus
Matchup: Macdirk x1, Roman Archer x1

Round 7
Team 2 goes first. Archer kills last Macdirk with 1 skull v 3 def.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
-One True Champion: N/A
-Highland Vigor: 2
-Mark of Sturla: 2
Normal Attacks
6v5 killed Roman Legionnaire
6v2 killed Roman Legionnaire
6v4 killed Cathar Spearman
5v4 killed Cathar Spearman
5v1 killed Roman Archer
5v2 killed Roman Archer

Damage and Point Value:
2 Legionnaires, 1 Cathar, 2 Archers (~92)
Many buffed attacks for Macdirks (~?)

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

-Right off the bat I felt Angus should have a once per round limitation of Highland Vigor as the absolute turn to turn self wound freedom felt counter thematic to the trope. The theme didn't quite click with me for it as much as Highland Fury at first, but mechanically it was fun enough.
-Angus made for a very fun Macdirk Hero. As you'd expect, he wound up straying from the battle during the mid game. The Macdirk were pretty luckythis game mostly by the fact that not a single Braced Spear 16 was rolled the entire game and a lone macdirk cut through Macdirks height screen, survived lava field and killed Marcus. It took a few blunders by Team 2 for the Macdirk to stand a chance in this matchup, but by the end it was down to the wire.
-I forgot about Bol being in team 1 and did not have him set up so I staged the ending of him vs the archer and in the scenario that the archer was moved back away from the Macdirk, he won, but the scenario that he did not (which would have been the case with Bol on the board), he lost.
Anyways, it was clearly a close match which would say that Angus served his points in this match up.
-Though One True Champion was not used this match, it's a fun addition I think fits in a broad selection of matchups with how many "Champions" there are now in VC. I was eyeing the different possibilities for matchups but went with the team I already had out.
-Mark of Sturla is very strong for this hero.. and it needs to be. The mechanic could be seen as helping the character or as a con for it's cheesiness overly helping the team, but here it was enjoyed. Angus had to be very vary not to delve too deep in combat and served more as a wander looking for opportunity. Going for the treasure glyph felt like a win win move and though the wound stung, it ensured max attack for the Macdirk the remainder of the game.
Old January 11th, 2022, 12:17 AM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 1/10/2022 - New "Pack")

It's time to dust off this thread for the new year. Because I designed most of the following units in the same rough period, I thought I would give a nod to the official 'Scape releases by arranging them into my own pack.

Proftaka's Stratagem - Heroes of Crownridge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo, Inc.

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Crown of Fangs set. The name of the figure is Torrent Hellknight.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original figure image credit goes to em4miniatures.com

The figure used for this unit is an eM-4 Miniatures figure from the Oriental Blades 2 set. The name of the figure is Armoured Adventurer.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Rusty Dragon Inn set. The name of the figure is King Castruccio Irovetti.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

FAQ:
Quote:
Q: Which figures can Prester John attack when using Heat of Battle Special Attack?
A: By himself, John can attack any adjacent figure and roll 3 attack dice. For each Jandar squad figure you control adjacent to John, he may attack one additional time and may effectively subtract 2 from the special attack's Attack value to attack a non-adjacent figure that is adjacent to said Squad figure. The number of times a single figure may be attacked by Heat of Battle Special Attack cannot exceed the number of your Jandar figures adjacent to it.
The power is intended to simulate a great fray; Prester John is essentially commanding his troops from the heart of battle, and the mass of fighters becomes more deadly as more allies are able to contribute their own attacks to the assault.

The figure used for this unit is a Starfinder Battles figure from the Planets of Peril set. The name of the figure is BMC Mauler. The figure's base is single-spaced.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, comments are welcome.
Old January 11th, 2022, 10:25 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I like the theme for Gotoh Daisuke's Spectacular Finish power, although (as you note) it involves a fair amount for players to remember, something Heroscape generally avoided unless memory aids like markers were involved. The beginning of the power might also be clearer if you followed Ornak's Red Flag of Fury example: "If Order Marker 3 is revealed on Gotoh Daisuke and he attacks a small or medium figure, etc..." Also, Counter Strike is two words in Heroscapese.
Old January 12th, 2022, 11:48 PM

Thanks for commenting. I would like to use markers for Spectacular Finish, but the change would likely prevent Gotoh from using the power against Common figures without creating a situation as messy as what exists due to the current memory system; the power already has several limitations, so I would rather not restrict its use further. I appreciate the wording advice, though, and I will definitely correct Counter Strike's name on a future card.
Old February 12th, 2022, 09:58 PM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 2/12/2022 - Hunter Squad)

The figures used for this unit are Pathfinder Battles figures from the Deep Cuts: Hellhounds set. The figures are unpainted.

Character Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, comments are welcome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards